By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why PSN hack was the best thing to ever happen to us and Sony.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

It has its ups and downs. it certainly isnt a good thing from a PR standpoint. the reputation with the general public is probabily strained now considering i dont think the general public understood the whole story. and the media generated a mass panic situation.

the key thing being no credit card information was obtained. so thats good news.

the great news for Sony is that because of the media circus, and the mass panic of consumers, the FBI and Homeland Security are personally going to catch these people. which sends a very strong signal to Sony's war on hackers. so its not safe to be a computer hacker at all.

good news for us fans is we get PSN Plus free for a month, so - not a bad deal since my cc details were safe the whole time.

however i think for the heavy online gamers, this has been a blow they cant forget, Sony has let them down, a lot of users rely on the honesty and reliablilty of PSN and they've been failed this week, so i think it will take more than one month free PSN to win back their trust. - personally i think 3 months would've been more acceptable.

Just another benefit I found.

Sony, being the best weekly seller for so long now, risked becoming again arrogant: the hack saved it!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

PSN being down made me buy ICO for ps2. Thank you Sony

The impact of this is going to be felt for years over at Sony.  It is very unlikely that Indie developers will make the PS3 a lead platform for PSN games.  Current Indie developers took a heavy revenue hit and sales are going to be sluggish for a while as customers will be weary to purchase anything off of PSN with a credit card (whether the concern is warranted or not).  What was most damning is that they didn't notify customers for several days after the network intrusion was discovered.  This is all bad.  If the message that people take from this is, "Don't let Sony have your credit card info." then the reputation may be hard to shake.  On the funny side,  I don't expect to see any more snarky RRoD jokes in PS3 games anymore.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network
hatmoza said:

Sony helped millions change their Credit Cards.

It was only a matter of time before someone had access to your credit card anyways. The longer you have it molding away in your wallet, the more vulnerable it is. See, if it wasn't for Sony's initiative by warning us that our credit card numbers were stolen, we would have never replaced them. Whereas, if your credit card was physically stolen, the criminal would have made off with your hard earned cash.

Sony made us more diligent.

Why trust our banks alone? PSN getting hacked made the consumer more aware of the transactions that are going on in their bank accounts. I'm sure many of you went for months without checking on your bank statements. Sony woke us up. Now we can do the responsible thing and check our statements daily. Thank you Sony.

You finally have an excuse to change that silly high school email account.

Yeah I'm talking to you almost, graduating college student with an unprofessional email that involves random digits and letters! Now you have a reason to change your email. Sony encouraged you to be more professional about your future career. When applying for a job, the interviewer will smile at the sight of your new,and welcoming email address.

The juggernaut Sony apologized publicly.

With this simple gesture of genuine sincerity, Sony showed the World that they are not the money-hungry, evil cooperate many people believed them to be. Potential consumers will now swarm electronic stores to buy the Sony brand because they proved once and for all that they care for the consumer.

Just found another possible benefit: I could register the neighbours of mine I despise the most as Al Zawahiri, Obama Bin Laden, Muhammar Qaddafi, Unabomber, Pedobear, etc. on PSN  O-) 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I kinds smiled at the e-mail stuff.

Random high school digits FTW!!