By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSN hysteria "a lot of piss and s**t"

It doesn't really matter if you think addresses and phone numbers are private.

What matters is that it is a an industry standard that such information is private. It is an industry practice that this data is to be protected according to industry standards. This is how they will be judged in a court of law whether you like it or not.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
Icyedge said:

Yes they do verify the other proof of identity (and they dont accept all of them), at least here in Canada. The data can serve for phishing though. If you think about it, the information stolen is very easy to get on anyone you barely know. I hope they do verify proof of identity in the states too.

Between, I deal with credit agencies almost everyday.

They don't here in the USA. Amazon will give out cards, and they have no way to verify you through any means but the honor policy really. I like the Canadian system much better. If there is any further verification it happens behind the scenes which would be scarier than not having it done at all really.

Are we talking about Amazon gift card or credit card? If credit card, are you sure they arent asking for identification number of verifiable source like drivers license or health insurance? It just dont seem realist to me that you can get a credit card by giving your name, adress and date of birth. But if your sure of that, fine, im glad that its at least verified here in Canada. I had people refused because of false identity. I also had the agency faxing back a demand because the identification number wasnt good and when you would check back with the customer youd notice that you had in fact, written a wrong number on the demand.

Icyedge said:

Are we talking about Amazon gift card or credit card? If credit card, are you sure they arent asking for identification number of verifiable source like drivers license or health insurance*? It just dont seem realist to me that you can get a credit card by giving your name, adress and date of birth. But if your sure of that, fine, im glad that its at least verified here in Canada. I had people refused because of false identity. I also had the agency faxing back a demand because the identification number wasnt good and when you would check back with the customer youd notice that you had in fact, written a wrong number on the demand.

Credit card. Driver's license shouldn't be required as not everyone has it. The best you have for a universal identifier for USA citizens is the SSN. The amount of accidental SSN fraud in the USA is actually quite staggering, so intentional would be a breeze really. Fear of being identified solely as a number (due to left over WW2 concerns) when the system was implemented intentionally crippled yhe ability to use it as an identifier.

* Health insurance as a means of identification? You Canadians are so cute. People in the USA are super tough and never get sick, apparently. Consequently our health care system sucks ass, and there is no way to use it to verify anything.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
evolution_1ne said:

you lost me at the last part lol

The short of it is, people you see on this website have multiple accounts. Most PS3 users don't have multiple accounts depsite this.

I'm willing to bet other wise

Gnizmo said:
Icyedge said:

Are we talking about Amazon gift card or credit card? If credit card, are you sure they arent asking for identification number of verifiable source like drivers license or health insurance*? It just dont seem realist to me that you can get a credit card by giving your name, adress and date of birth. But if your sure of that, fine, im glad that its at least verified here in Canada. I had people refused because of false identity. I also had the agency faxing back a demand because the identification number wasnt good and when you would check back with the customer youd notice that you had in fact, written a wrong number on the demand.

Credit card. Driver's license shouldn't be required as not everyone has it. The best you have for a universal identifier for USA citizens is the SSN. The amount of accidental SSN fraud in the USA is actually quite staggering, so intentional would be a breeze really. Fear of being identified solely as a number (due to left over WW2 concerns) when the system was implemented intentionally crippled yhe ability to use it as an identifier.

* Health insurance as a means of identification? You Canadians are so cute. People in the USA are super tough and never get sick, apparently. Consequently our health care system sucks ass, and there is no way to use it to verify anything.

Theres is other thing that can be use for sure. The student card can be trace back, passport ect. Here you cant get a credit card without providing 1 of those type of sources. If you cant provide the correct info, you cant have one, thats it. So even if not everyone have one of the information needed it is required to provide one nontheless. Having a credit card is a privilege.

It still leaves place for ID theft, but not with the information that is store in Sonys database. That doesnt excuse Sony if there was negligence though.

Around the Network
evolution_1ne said:

I'm willing to bet other wise

Click the damned link! 40 million unique accounts from the PS3 alone. That alone means most people don't have multiple accounts. I wonder why I bother some days.

Icyedge said:

Theres is other thing that can be use for sure. The student card can be trace back, passport ect. Here you cant get a credit card without providing 2 of those type of sources. It still leaves place for ID theft, but not with the information that store in Sonys database. Its no wander we dont ask companies to encrypt the name, adress and date of birth of their customer. That doesnt excuse Sony if there was negligence though.

Well thats good. Glad for the Canadians at the least. Hopefully the USA will get a wake up call and either put more stringent requirments on credit cards, or on personal data storage. I suspect it won't happen, but it could.

Gnizmo said:
Icyedge said:

Theres is other thing that can be use for sure. The student card can be trace back, passport ect. Here you cant get a credit card without providing 2 of those type of sources. It still leaves place for ID theft, but not with the information that store in Sonys database. Its no wander we dont ask companies to encrypt the name, adress and date of birth of their customer. That doesnt excuse Sony if there was negligence though.

Well thats good. Glad for the Canadians at the least. Hopefully the USA will get a wake up call and either put more stringent requirments on credit cards, or on personal data storage. I suspect it won't happen, but it could.

I hope for you, because if its as you claim, your neighbor, schoolmates and/or colleagues can have a credit card under your name pretty easily, let alone all of your family and friends.

thismeintiel said:

While I don't agree with the message, you are right, that was funny.  Lol, still love this one, too.

It's so simple yet.......so hilarious : []

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Grimes said:

It doesn't really matter if you think addresses and phone numbers are private.

What matters is that it is a an industry standard that such information is private. It is an industry practice that this data is to be protected according to industry standards. This is how they will be judged in a court of law whether you like it or not.

Well said.