By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony admits your infos compromised, passwords, etc...

AussieGecko said:
radiantshadow92 said:

I think people are overreacting. Honestly a week is actually pretty fast timing (they found out yesterday according to them). Just change your passwords if they are similar and get a free new CC, done.

the fact that they hid the hacking says more than it should. They clearly knew more than what they released. The fact that the possibility is there is something they should have announced imo

They didn't hide much, besides the stealing of information (if they even hid it). They can't just go ahead and tell everyone "YUP, EVERYONE YOUR SCREWED CHANGE YOUR CC INFO NOW" on the first day without confirming it. Yeah more info would be great.

Around the Network

A free GT5 copy to anyone as compensation I'd say. Even to me who never had PSN. 

fordy said:
Galaki said:
NiKKoM said:

Kevin Butler

VP of Fucking Bullshit

LOL!!!!! This made my day!

Goddammit! I now have to figure out which credit card I had on file, have it changed and change my password on 5 different sites.

Signature goes here!

The scary thing is this happens a lot more often then you think.

Just google biggest security breaches. Sony made it to the top today. Before that Apr 11 2011 was the last record holder, not even a month ago.

And 9 days late in notififying, how about the Heartland disaster in 2009:

"In a statement Heartland said the breach occurred last year but that it found evidence of the intrusion last week and immediately notified law enforcement and credit card companies. The company handles 100 million transactions per month but does not know exactly how many unique cards or consumers that translates to, he said."

For as now it's still may have been compromised, nothing is certain.

The amount of information they could have gotten is readily available anyway. Name, address, phonebook. There are plenty of ways on the internet to find out someones date of birth and email address. Luckily the security code of your cc was not part of the vulnerable information, making any online purchases with the info impossible.

Credit card companies are well aware of the amount of security breaches. Hence we now have chip cards and verisign for online shopping and your transactions and card get blocked when there is suspicious activity. I once almost got stuck in a parking garage overseas because I had forgotten to notify my bank of my travel plans. If my wife had not gotten the call and convinced them it was me I would have been left with no card on my work trip. Before that my debit card got immediately blocked when I tried to get money out 3 times in a row at the same bank machine.

It's common sense not to use the same password for services that have information of you that you don't want to be shared. Especially not with sites that have a service to email you your password in case you forget it, meaning that your password is stored in plain text instead of hashed!

These things unfortunately happen all the time. Just be vigilant for phishing scams. Don't give out any personal info over the phone or email or fill out any info online before you are 100% certain who you are connected to. If they contact you then it's most likely not who they say they are.

Around the Network
Wagram said:

I however am getting issued a new debit card. I don't think i'll be using it through PSN anymore though or any other console online for that matter. I'll use PSN cards.

PSN - FUCKED

All other services - Pretty much fine.

...Let's be clear, I mean when the Xbox 360 got the RROD nonsense a few years ago....Did you sell your PS3 just in case it could be affected by exactly the same problem?

No you didn't.

Because you're using weasel words to make it sound like all online services can't be trusted to make Sony sound better as you always do. Let's not mince words here.

I don't think that people understand that identity theft is more than stealing credit card numbers. If they have all your info, they can possibly get new credit cards, co-sign other credit, get other forms of ID and other types of mischief. None of these things will show up on your credit card statement. You won't know you've been a victim til long after the thieves have moved on.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Galaki said:
hatmoza said:

Also. Fuck you Sony. Fuck you for waiting a week before telling us this.

Yeah, shows you how much they care for their customers. They should at least email everyone about CC compromised first thing. But no. They'd wait a week and hope everyone forgot about it and blamed Anon who also denied having anything to do with this hack.

well problem with that is, you are telling customers to be warry of fake emails kind of hurts your credibility if you send out one yourself.

i mean hell the hacker coudl send out a huge email saying that all this info was stolen and you need to do this to quickly fix it or something like that

Grimes said:

I don't think that people understand that identity theft is more than stealing credit card numbers. If they have all your info, they can possibly get new credit cards, co-sign other credit, get other forms of ID and other types of mischief. None of these things will show up on your credit card statement. You won't know you've been a victim til long after the thieves have moved on.

This is what scares me and most people don't seem to understand how bad this really is.

Sony better pay all that protection stuff for everyone!

yo_john117 said:
Grimes said:

This is what scares me and most people don't seem to understand how bad this really is.

Sony better pay all that protection stuff for everyone!

You need a little more then someone's name address and birthdate for identity theft...

Did you leave your bank account numbers on psn, social insurance number, driver's license number?