By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony admits your infos compromised, passwords, etc...

source

Sony Admits That Playstation Hacker Got Tons Of Info, Including Passwords

from the this-is-what-you-get-with-a-company-that-rootkits-people dept

We had avoided discussing what was going on with the PlayStation Network hack and subsequent downtime until more details were known, and now Sony is finally revealing what many people feared: a ton of personal info was leaked. According to Sony's blog post, among the information that hackers got was:

• Name
  • Address
  • Country
  • Email
  • Birthdate
  • PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login
Sony claims it's not sure yet, but that it "cannot rule out," that credit card info and password security answers may have also been included. To deal with that, they're saying people should assume that such info was compromised. So far, Sony's plan is to tell you to stay alert:
For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:
You hear that sound? That's the sound of a whole bunch of class action lawsuits being filed against Sony as we speak. I'd like to say it's a huge surprise that Sony would even store passwords and credit card data in a place where it could easily be extracted like that, but it's really not. This, after all, is the company that made the word "rootkit" famous, and spent the last few months wasting more resources in a quixotic legal campaign against a guy who added back a feature to the PS3 that Sony had deleted. Perhaps if it spent a little more time actually protecting its users rather than fighting silly battles, there wouldn't be issues like this.

So, they didn't know until a week after the break-in.

You should really get your CC replaced.

Around the Network

Calling the 1800# on the back of my card as we speak.

Also. Fuck you Sony. Fuck you for waiting a week before telling us this.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:

Yeah, shows you how much they care for their customers. They should at least email everyone about CC compromised first thing. But no. They'd wait a week and hope everyone forgot about it and blamed Anon who also denied having anything to do with this hack.

Not much to do but keep an eye on my card

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Galaki said:
hatmoza said:

Yeah, shows you how much they care for their customers. They should at least email everyone about CC compromised first thing. But no. They'd wait a week and hope everyone forgot about it and blamed Anon who also denied having anything to do with this hack.

Coming to think of it. Sony customer care always treated me like shit whenever I called.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
leatherhat said:

Not much to do but keep an eye on my card

Why wait until someone uses your card to find out? Replacement is free anyways.

When you CC get stolen, they don't get used right away but bulk sold away.

About the password part. Does Sony store it in clear text or something? That's the only way that hacker would have gotten all the passwords.

That means, if you are using the same password for multiple places, you better change all your passwords, too.

Starts hitting the mainstream media. Sony will have to do a lot of explaining.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

So glad I don't use my PS3 for much or had put any card info on there.  Would make a great end to this fucking college semester.

Just can't believe Sony's handling of this.  Complete incompetence or complete lack of care for its consumers.  Either way, just unaccepatable.  Going to have a hard time rebuilding that trust with its consumers.

I must contest that it still not confirmed that any information was leaked, it is just it could have happened and that customers  should get ready for the worst if it is the case. Also, Sony had their hands full eversince people been hacking the PS3 and its obvious that they have been trying their best to combat things like this from happening by having regular security updates and such.  Even some of the best credit cards companies been hacked so everythings is vulnerable.  

I guarentee people will be upset and angry.  I am particularty pissed too but if you are blaming Sony for all of this then you are mistaken.  It is not only Sony's fault, it is also all the hacker/s who has done this. Technology is never safe anymore.