By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Finland: consumer board says Sony should pay dude €100 for OtherOS removal

xenogears1234 said:

Im with you a 100% i wonder whenever this argument is brought up whether this is just xbots trolling. Other os is a function not advertised as a key marketing/sales tool so to me this is just people whining about nothing the removal of said os in no way affected the gaming or blu ray functions of the console which is why everyone bought the system in the first place. By the way to the OP of this thread finland has as much of a chance of enforcing this as the UN had of stopping us from going into iraq i.e none. Oh and one last thing you know those agreements that you check off when you get a firmware update if some of the posters in here bothered to read them they would realize that sony's lawyers have said they retain the right to do whatever they want including removing other OS if you don't like it by a wii or an xbox unless sony removes something detrimental to gaming/bluray playback im not to concerned.

If you did read the original article, then you would notice that Sony and retailers did use other OS as marketing tool and that was reason why CCB did order refund of 100 € to those consumers who did buy PS3 between 2007 - 2010 and do want that refund.

Finnish consumer laws are wery much similar than in other EU countries and if Sony disobeys Finnish authorities orders, then they risk heavy penalties or/and ban on sales in Finland and in EU area. I don't think Sony would risk that, especially right after LG ban were removed.

In CCB statement were said that product producers or retailers can't rule out basic consumer rights by any user agreements and product has to have all features, which were promoted, for full life cykle of product.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
Capulous said:

I agree, claiming Sony has more respect for customers than MS or Nintendo has no merit.  MS and Nintendo did not  list another OS as a selling point for their system. Sony did. They also offered free online play as well, it was not either or, it was for both.

Since the PS3 was hacked and has been hacked before and after the removal of Linux; it seems like removing it changed nothing. Having additional features that is paid for (they were not "gifts") does not mean a company has more respect for consumers. These items were all part of the advertised package for PS3. If someone purchased a PS3 for these featueres, and when these features were advertised as part of the system, then they have every right to file a grievance.

Just to correct the bolded part, you didnt use the correct argument, Ill explain. PSN requires a separate contract and agreement (its written on the box, manual, add, when you log ect), they dont has to sustain and internet service. Sony can even shut down the complete service if they want. Legally speaking you didnt pay for PSN on your PS3 purchase.

With that said, you just didnt use the right argument. New games on the market requires you to update the firmware, hence you need to choose between Linux and the ability to play new games, which isnt fair to the people using their PS3 for Linux and games. Playing game is the basic ability of the console. When you purchase a PS3, your paying for the ability to play future games as well as being able to keep the features being part of the PS3 purchase (in this case Linux). Hope you understand the nuance.

No they don't have to sustain PSN, but that is not the argument is it? PSN is there and part of the advertised features of the PS3 is to play online for free through PSN. The argument is fine. If you do not update you lose the ability to play online and access PSN through your console; new games and blu-ray movies that require the updated firmware will not work. If you update you lose the ability of the Other OS function.

kitler53 said:
Capulous said:

I agree, claiming Sony has more respect for customers than MS or Nintendo has no merit.  MS and Nintendo did not  list another OS as a selling point for their system. Sony did. They also offered free online play as well, it was not either or, it was for both.

Since the PS3 was hacked and has been hacked before and after the removal of Linux; it seems like removing it changed nothing. Having additional features that is paid for (they were not "gifts") does not mean a company has more respect for consumers. These items were all part of the advertised package for PS3. If someone purchased a PS3 for these featueres, and when these features were advertised as part of the system, then they have every right to file a grievance.

could you send me a link to where Sony's marketing listed other OS as a selling point?  i check my box and it wasn't a listed feature, i've never seen it marketed.  frankly, if it wasn't for these forums i'd probably have no idea the feature ever existed.  but if i'm wrong and sony marketed this feature i'd love to know i'm wrong.

I don't have my box anymore, but you can probably find something on it if you do a web search. This feature was marketed or these lawsuits would have been baseless and would have been argued so by Sony . Universities and the US Airforce (2k ) purchased the PS3 mainly so they can use this feature to form a cheap supercomputer.  The Sony website may have something if they still have the product page for the older PS3 models.

Capulous said:
Icyedge said:
Capulous said:

Just to correct the bolded part, you didnt use the correct argument, Ill explain. PSN requires a separate contract and agreement (its written on the box, manual, add, when you log ect), they dont has to sustain and internet service. Sony can even shut down the complete service if they want. Legally speaking you didnt pay for PSN on your PS3 purchase.

With that said, you just didnt use the right argument. New games on the market requires you to update the firmware, hence you need to choose between Linux and the ability to play new games, which isnt fair to the people using their PS3 for Linux and games. Playing game is the basic ability of the console. When you purchase a PS3, your paying for the ability to play future games as well as being able to keep the features being part of the PS3 purchase (in this case Linux). Hope you understand the nuance.

No they don't have to sustain PSN, but that is not the argument is it? PSN is there and part of the advertised features of the PS3 is to play online for free through PSN. The argument is fine. If you do not update you lose the ability to play online and access PSN through your console; new games and blu-ray movies that require the updated firmware will not work. If you update you lose the ability of the Other OS function.

Thats exactly what I said in the second paragraph.  From your response it almost seem like you didnt read my whole post before replying to it. I was agreeing with your conclusion, the problem was with the argumentation. You wouldnt win in court with the argument you were holding in your first post. The correct argument is to demonstrate that you cannot play new game as well as keep Linux. Sony are in their right when it comes to PSN.

Why would the seller pay? Seriously? These guys are whack

Around the Network
Icyedge said:

Thats exactly what I said in the second paragraph.  From your response it almost seem like you didnt read my whole post before replying to it. I was agreeing with your conclusion, the problem was with the argumentation. You wouldnt win in court with the argument you were holding in your first post. The correct argument is to demonstrate that you cannot play new game as well as keep Linux. Sony are in their right when it comes to PSN.

I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to something else. Your post was just part of the post I quoted. The argument is about PSN access, and you seem to think I am stating something I am not. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The courts will decide this matter. Have a good one.