By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think Nintendo will show more about Motion Plus games than another system

Now I'm not denying Nintendo is working on a new system, since I've stated before that I know companies always are. I'm just not buying any of the details in the rumors, and this thread shows that while Nintendo likely has something contrete now, any of the details are really not something to buy.

So while I'll give, as I have before, that at least an announcement of another system is likely at E3 or later (like Tokyo Game show, PAX, or one of Nintendo's own conferences), I would say more Motion Plus games will be shown than any full blown system announcement. Why? Because Nintendo barely scratched the surface of that, and while Sony and Microsoft showed they were just playing catch-up to the Wii with their controllers*, Nintendo can show they can still make better games.

They aren't going to just let the Wii coast along until the next system is released. That isn't practical at all. Not unless the new system was coming out no later than this holiday season, and I haven't seen anyone here entertain something that ridiculous.

Nintendo needs to keep the momentum for the Wii going, not just to fund R&D on the next system and its games, but to keep Nintendo on its toes, and to keep the audience there.

Just because the gaming community wants the Wii to go away doesn't mean Nintendo is going to do that, nor that the mainstream is clamoring for another system based solely on greater specs. They want awesome games (CoD is sells for being awesome, not for being HD), and Nintendo is going to keep delivering that, even on the Wii, so that when the next system comes along, people will see that awesomeness and continue.

* No, Nintendo would not be playing catch-up with a more powerful system. They would just be doing what is finally affordable, since they know they could lose billions otherwise.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

Now I'm not denying Nintendo is working on a new system, since I've stated before that I know companies always are. I'm just not buying any of the details in the rumors, and this thread shows that while Nintendo likely has something contrete now, any of the details are really not something to buy.

So while I'll give, as I have before, that at least an announcement of another system is likely at E3 or later (like Tokyo Game show, PAX, or one of Nintendo's own conferences), I would say more Motion Plus games will be shown than any full blown system announcement. Why? Because Nintendo barely scratched the surface of that, and while Sony and Microsoft showed they were just playing catch-up to the Wii with their controllers*, Nintendo can show they can still make better games.

They aren't going to just let the Wii coast along until the next system is released. That isn't practical at all. Not unless the new system was coming out no later than this holiday season, and I haven't seen anyone here entertain something that ridiculous.

Nintendo needs to keep the momentum for the Wii going, not just to fund R&D on the next system and its games, but to keep Nintendo on its toes, and to keep the audience there.

Just because the gaming community wants the Wii to go away doesn't mean Nintendo is going to do that, nor that the mainstream is clamoring for another system based solely on greater specs. They want awesome games (CoD is sells for being awesome, not for being HD), and Nintendo is going to keep delivering that, even on the Wii, so that when the next system comes along, people will see that awesomeness and continue.

* No, Nintendo would not be playing catch-up with a more powerful system. They would just be doing what is finally affordable, since they know they could lose billions otherwise.

you are saying that like it is a fact.  near as i can tell nintendo has been on coast-mode since about 2008.

kitler53 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

you are saying that like it is a fact.  near as i can tell nintendo has been on coast-mode since about 2008.

Okay, your personal opinion about what they are doing since 2008 (an argument that does not belong on this thread) does not make my discussion not a fact. That Nintendo needs to keep momentum up is a fact, since it means more sales, more customers, and keeping their current customers. Why, because that's what happend every time they had a killer app for the Wii, or even killer apps for any company's other systems. It's not rocket science. It's paying attention to recent history.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
kitler53 said:

Okay, your personal opinion about what they are doing (which does not belong on this thread) does not make my discussion not a fact. That Nintendo needs to keep momentum up is a fact, since it means more sales, more customers, and keeping their current customers. Why, because that's what happend every time they had a killer app for the Wii, or even killer apps for any company's other systems. It's not rocket science. It's paying attention to recent history.

okay, so what i said was an opinion ... lets just look at the facts.  nintendo's 2011 release schedule for the first half of a year.

mario sports mix

last story (jp only)

pandora's tower (jp only)

wii play motion

so for most of us (western people) two games in half a year while one is a pack-in mini-game collection is your definition of not coasting?  i'd hate to see what coasting is by your definition ...

kitler53 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
kitler53 said:

Okay, your personal opinion about what they are doing (which does not belong on this thread) does not make my discussion not a fact. That Nintendo needs to keep momentum up is a fact, since it means more sales, more customers, and keeping their current customers. Why, because that's what happend every time they had a killer app for the Wii, or even killer apps for any company's other systems. It's not rocket science. It's paying attention to recent history.

okay, so what i said was an opinion ... lets just look at the facts.  nintendo's 2011 release schedule for the first half of a year.

mario sports mix

last story (jp only)

wii play motion

so for most of us (western people) two games in half a year while one is a pack-in mini-game collection is your definition of not coasting?  i'd hate to see what coasting is by your definition ...

First of ally, you wrote "since about 2008", not "the first half of this year". Second of all, that only proves this year's early releases are unremarkable. It doesn't prove coasting, but a scheduling hole.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
kitler53 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
kitler53 said:

mario sports mix

last story (jp only)

wii play motion

First of ally, you wrote "since about 2008", not "the first half of this year". Second of all, that only proves this year's early releases are unremarkable. It doesn't prove coasting, but a scheduling hole.

well let me try and curb this discussion back to being on topic.

yes i agree, nintendo should absolutlely show more motion plus games.  the part i'm angry about is that motion plus was released june 2009 and we are now discussing about what nintendo should announce E3 2011.  after two years - wii sports resort and fling smash is a very very disappointed effort on nintendo's part.

but your thread is right on the money ... 2 years ago.

RolStoppable said:

If with "show", you mean gameplay footage, yes.

No, I mean information and announcements in general. As in I don't think any concrete information on the next system is likely this year. But we will see plenty about the Motion Plus games they are making.

kitler53 said:

yes i agree, nintendo should absolutlely show more motion plus games.  the part i'm angry about is that motion plus was released june 2009 and we are now discussing about what nintendo should announce E3 2011.  after two years - wii sports resort and fling smash is a very very disappointed effort on nintendos part.

your thread is right on the money ... 2 years ago.

Oh, I'm not denying that they should have showed it off sooner. I think they got caught up in hoping Super Mario Galaxy 2 would finally get 3D Mario to get 2D Mario sales, and for Other M to break the series into mainstream, that they lost track of showing off that controller, and since those two games didn't do what they wanted, they need to get back on that direction.

That's not an excuse for them taking so long, just my supposition on why it did.

RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:

If with "show", you mean gameplay footage, yes.

No, I mean information and announcements in general. As in I don't think any concrete information on the next system is likely this year. But we will see plenty about the Motion Plus games they are making.

They are going to have Skyward Sword and one other game, plus one that doesn't support Motion Plus. Aside from that we are going to see known stuff like Xenoblade and The Last Story. That's going to be it.

And that's an optimistic outlook.

Um, are you forgetting how many times a Wii game would get first announced at, or just before E3? Just because they haven't announced them doesn't mean they aren't making or releasing them. Or do you think no Wii game got surprise announcements at or just before E3?.

Again, you are still falling for the coasting fallacy, that assumes they just have a few major games, because those are the only upcoming games we know about.

LordTheNightKnight said:
kitler53 said:

yes i agree, nintendo should absolutlely show more motion plus games.  the part i'm angry about is that motion plus was released june 2009 and we are now discussing about what nintendo should announce E3 2011.  after two years - wii sports resort and fling smash is a very very disappointed effort on nintendos part.

your thread is right on the money ... 2 years ago.

Oh, I'm not denying that they should have showed it off sooner. I think they got caught up in hoping Super Mario Galaxy 2 would finally get 3D Mario to get 2D Mario sales, and for Other M to break the series into mainstream, that they lost track of showing off that controller, and since those two games didn't do what they wanted, they need to get back on that direction.

That's not an excuse for them taking so long, just my supposition on why it did.

well i can 100% agree with you and what they should do but frankly, i don't think it is going to go down like that.   i look at the basket of unsupported peripherals nintendo got me to buy and then never support with games and i fully expect nintendo to just throw the entire wii hardware into that basket as well.  my money is on the new hardware taking the spotlight and nintendo dropping support for the wii altogther.  looking at this year's releases it really appears like they already have.