By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's say third parties flood the next system: How to do it.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Why would they be, when Nintendo knew they had that audience (if they doubted it, Zelda showed them it was there)?

While they may be slightly different from the tests that third parties do, they have pretty much the same result.  In lieu of what people want (a new Pikmin and a full fledged Pokemon RPG), they get remakes and spinoffs.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Why would they be, when Nintendo knew they had that audience (if they doubted it, Zelda showed them it was there)?

While they may be slightly different from the tests that third parties do, they have pretty much the same result.  In lieu of what people want (a new Pikmin and a full fledged Pokemon RPG), they get remakes and spinoffs.

What? Miyamoto has directly stated they are working on Pikmin 3, and Pokemon was always meant to stay on the handhelds. What the hell makes you think those were tests?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

When the engine team got the specs for the 3DS they asked, "Can we make MT Framework move on this thing?"... They laid the groundwork and got everything moving to the point where we were using some of the same assets from our home console games - and they were working on the 3DS... After they laid the groundwork we got the Mercenaries team on there, and they went wild with seeing how far we could go in making the game look great on the 3DS... We're very proud of how far we've come with it. It was definitely a big challenge.

Thats CAPCOM talking about RE:3DS.     Ya devlopers get exited over pushing hardware and showing for the first time something never done befor.

Devlopers want to Push hardware and discover its potential. If at every corner they turn, they feel like they are limited, and could achive something greater with more power, ya. I can imagine how un-inspiering it could be, and just say screw that I want to go work on something I dont always need to be cutting it shorter.

As much as what happend to Wii sucked as far as 3rd party go's.  Dont make any Illusions of why it happened.   3rd party was never Inspired by what the Wii could do. Market or no market, great games Need Devlopers that are motivated to work on your hardware .

3rd PArty know like everyone that Great games are the bottom line. Market or no Market Great games will sell Hardware on whatever system they pick.

LordTheNightKnight said:

What? Miyamoto has directly stated they are working on Pikmin 3, and Pokemon was always meant to stay on the handhelds. What the hell makes you think those were tests?

It has been three years since he first mentioned it, don't think a screenshot has even been released.  Don't you think if the New Play Control releases had been huge hits we might have been hearing more about it?  Now I'm not saying it isn't coming, it could very well be at E3 this year, but we are 4.5 years into the Wii's life, and 7 years after Pikmin 2 without a sequel.

As for Pokemon, people have still always wanted a true Pokemon RPG on consoles.  Despite this, Nintendo has used the Pokemon IP in several different types of games on consoles.  Is this that different from making a Resident Evil rail shooter?  It's trying to take a successful IP and branch it out to a new series of games.  Yes Capcom made it seem like a true RE would come if DSC sold well, but I said the tests weren't exactly the same.  Despite slightly different motives, the results are the same.  'Scraps' rather than the true game most people want.

Albion said:

When the engine team got the specs for the 3DS they asked, "Can we make MT Framework move on this thing?"... They laid the groundwork and got everything moving to the point where we were using some of the same assets from our home console games - and they were working on the 3DS... After they laid the groundwork we got the Mercenaries team on there, and they went wild with seeing how far we could go in making the game look great on the 3DS... We're very proud of how far we've come with it. It was definitely a big challenge.

Thats CAPCOM talking about RE:3DS.     Ya devlopers get exited over pushing hardware and showing for the first time something never done befor.

Devlopers want to Push hardware and discover its potential. If at every corner they turn, they feel like they are limited, and could achive something greater with more power, ya. I can imagine how un-inspiering it could be, and just say screw that I want to go work on something I dont always need to be cutting it shorter.

As much as what happend to Wii sucked as far as 3rd party go's.  Dont make any Illusions of why it happened.   3rd party was never Inspired by what the Wii could do. Market or no market, great games Need Devlopers that are motivated to work on your hardware .

3rd PArty know like everyone that Great games are the bottom line. Market or no Market Great games will sell Hardware on whatever system they pick.

That's very limiting and narrow, both from you and developers that buy that point of view. That quote and your comment basically amounted to developers wanting to play with toys instead of making classic games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Albion said:

That's very limiting and narrow, both from you and developers that buy that point of view. That quote and your comment basically amounted to developers wanting to play with toys instead of making classic games.

Yes, cause thats what the Industry has always  been. Its evovled somewhat but, still is and will always be, "a toy industry".

are they Narrow minded Yes.  No one will ever change that.

Still I remember Miyamoto in a interview. God iv looked everywhere and can't find it. Id love to post it here to show you. It was a video.

He was talking to a 1st party developer, saying. Hey look I really want this motion Plus thing to
work on Zelda: Skyward sword. If we don't do it no one will.   The interview go's on and Miyamoto brings in someone that made the sword fighting for Wii Resort saying this guy will help you out. yaddy yaddy yadda.......

What I got out of the Interview was.  This Developer was really not at all looking forward to making this Motion Plus thing work.  His expressions and replies where not of someone looking forward at all at the prospect of making this thing work.   I think, that really sums up the situation. And maybe why things have turned out the way they have. The Wii is a great product but it simply is not perfect. Its limited.

I'm not standing here today to tell you your wrong.  I'm just standing here saying, as Developers, they have I'm sure some valid reasons  why they did what they did. Totally Ignoring those's facts, wont help anyone  figure how to Inspire 3rd party to produce good ports for the Next Nintendo consule.

Your Thread is interesting cause it talks about The Wii(I like my Wii)and its bad 3rd party ports.

I don't own a PS3 or a X-box 360, but I have to give credit where credit is due.   They successfully retained   3rd party interest even when they where getting outsold almost 2/1.  
This is the cold hard facts. That you like it or not.

That you think its right or wrong is your opinion, and your entitled to one by all means.

I don't think blaming 3rd party for being Narrow minded is a good approach to solving this problem though.

AAA title Teams want to develop on the best  technologies available.   Thats as simple as saying a race car driver wants the newest fastest engine best acceleration best control in his car.  Its really not that hard to understand why he would want those things.

Thats why Nintendo is best to not bother with 3rd party at all (narrow minded).Just  Pump 1st and 2nd party support capacity to the max and grow it.   They could even just make there own ports.

"I'm not standing here today to tell you your wrong.  I'm just standing here saying, as Developers, they have I'm sure some valid reasons  why they did what they did. Totally Ignoring those's facts, wont help anyone  figure how to Inspire 3rd party to produce good ports for the Next Nintendo consule."

If their reasons are to assume that showing off their development toys (which is what I meant, not about the games as toys debate), then it's not valid. It doesn't matter how long it's been around. Any art medium has never made the classics based on showing off loads of tools. It's always been about great use of the tools you have, even when you have limits. Especially when you have limits.

This mentality of always pushing a system and stuffing loads of effects and features into a level is what gave us the Star Wars prequels, not the Original Trilogy (save for Jedi, which had the signs). It doesn't matter if it's common. That just makes even more of them wrong for not being able to see art in games another way.

As for the bolded part, why do you think I made this discussion about ports specifically? How about I meant ANY GAME?

We'll see. Let's hope I don't have to add more publishers to do-not-buy list anymore.

The easiest way is for Nintendo to design the next console around PC architecture. Many of the developers making big time third party games have a background in PC gaming. Look at how the 360 gets supported. Look at how Xbox got third party support unique to it when the GC got left behind entirely by third parties and PS2 didn't even receive all of these games. Look at the Dreamcast designing itself around the Naomi Arcade Board and getting every arcade port in quick succession. Keep the specs somewhat current, and design it in a way that PC developers can jump in quick, and the third party support will come. If it can use the next generation Unreal engine, publishers will undoubtedly give it at least above average support.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Gojimaster said:

Don't worry, Nintendo will get flooded with 360/PS3 ports on their next console and lots of remakes too.  Kind of like how 3DS is getting flooded with ports too.

No, your combining two of my points and missing both.

Sarcasm my friend....

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D