By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Royal Family are irrelevant in the modern era

SamuelRSmith said:

Just not our people. Airlines have reported that the weekend of the wedding is one of their busiest weekends that they've ever seen. Literally fully booked. These people aren't using their extended long weekend to celebrate the marriage, they're using it to get away from the country for a bit.

I was referring to the tourism point you were talking about. People from other countries actually like your monarchy. Well, enough to make a videogame based on their wedding at least... 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Around the Network
dsister said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Just not our people. Airlines have reported that the weekend of the wedding is one of their busiest weekends that they've ever seen. Literally fully booked. These people aren't using their extended long weekend to celebrate the marriage, they're using it to get away from the country for a bit.

I was referring to the tourism point you were talking about. People from other countries actually like your monarchy. Well, enough to make a videogame based on their wedding at least... 

Yeah, but how much revenue will the wedding actually generate from tourism? Certainly won't be able to cover the two whole days that the economy is frozen for thanks to the public holiday surrounding the wedding.

It is more of an tradition, about UK I can't tell but in plenty of countries with Monarchy the royal family is losing their funds...(Except for the King or Queen himself) but the siblings need to work for the money...I don't think it is a lot of money....But I am pretty sure if the majority of the population doesn't want the King/Queen anymore their is an Referendum about it possible;

numonex said:

Ok the Royals are good for Tourism and serve a purpose. As far as having a dominate role in running the nation and economic policy decicion making they have little or no say in the process. King and Queen's are a Shadow of being the oppressive dictator who ruled over the nation as a living God. The King or Queen  is now just a Head of State of the Constitutional Monarchy. 

In the past the King or Queen was the ultimate ruler who could do as he or she wanted without any opposition. Think in the leadership style of Genghis Khan, Adolf  Hitler, Napoleon Bonaparte or Alexander the Great et. al. The King or Queen's way or literally off with your head. 

BTW: I have never heard of a democratically elected Monarch. 

Really?  I mean they were fairly common through history.

Holy Roman empire is a good example.

As is Ghengis Khan.  Who you mentioned directly.