By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jack Tretton: Wii fading away; 3DS a babysitting tool.

I think the best part of his statement is that he insults lots of PlayStation gamers as well. It's quite certain that some of the DS kidz will have a PSP or a PS3 or both.

"Hey mr. Tretton, I really love PlayStation! I use my PSP and my PS3 all the time!"

"Excellent, then you are welcome into our pure and noble famil...wait, what do we have here?"

"It's a DS, sir, but I swear I only use it for Pokém-!"

"That's no excuse you little twerp! We don't want any mudbloods in our family. GTFO!"

"Eek!"

Around the Network

Yea its not the pr that is bad.  All pr is basically adults being childish bashing one another, or bragging about something they did.

It that fact that he is insulting us consumers.  That is a GIANT NO NO for a pr guy to do. 

But his statement all in all is very counter of what we have been taught growing up.  Isn't it the people that are ashamed of playing say a DS on the train/plane and automobile the ones that are not self secure about themselves?  And here he is saying that the manly thing to do is hide your ds, because no self-respecting person would want to be seen in public with one. 

I wish I wasn't so obsessive about getting rid of the green notification that keeps me coming back to read such posts. The discussion has got too far, it's ridiculous!

Reggie once said that Little Big Planet looks like a game that should be on Wii. If that's not insulting your customers, I don't know what is. To be fair to Reggie, I don't think he'd actually played it.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Tridrakious said:
Wagram said:

As a Sony fan I will say that this was uncalled for Jack.

No it wasn't. I miss the fire the big 3 had a few years back.

This is great.

Plus the Wii and 360 are running out of steam. Just look at the list of games. Of course I will be the first to say that PS3 hardware will match this fiscal year. So back to back 15 million units sold, but the new fiscal year will have a better performance by software.

While this post was a while back, it's worth noting that the facts here aren't completely straight. The Ps3's usebase is increasing, but its software sales aren't increasing hugely. In Quarter 1 2010, the Ps3 sold 27,813,965 pieces of software. In Quarter 1 2011, it sold 28,500,488 pieces of software. That's an increase of a bit less than 3%. (This is all VGChartz data, so there are of course some minor errors)

We've reached the point in the generation where a lot of the early adapters have pretty much bought all the games they're going to. Software sales are most likely going to have either peaked last year or this year for all machines. Most likely last year for the Wii, this year for the X360 and either this or last for the Ps3.

The X360 is up a bit software wise, from 24794k to 29072k (17%), but that can't be expected to last, as it had some amazing software sales at the end of last year. It should still end up being up a minor number, though (5-10% I'd venture)

The Wii is down quite a bit software wise, from  37154k to 33348k (11%), which is actually a far better number than I expected.

So essentially, the software sales most likely aren't going to rise heavily from here on out.

Around the Network
Pineapple said:

While this post was a while back, it's worth noting that the facts here aren't completely straight. The Ps3's usebase is increasing, but its software sales aren't increasing hugely. In Quarter 1 2010, the Ps3 sold 27,813,965 pieces of software. In Quarter 1 2011, it sold 28,500,488 pieces of software. That's an increase of a bit less than 3%. (This is all VGChartz data, so there are of course some minor errors)

We've reached the point in the generation where a lot of the early adapters have pretty much bought all the games they're going to. Software sales are most likely going to have either peaked last year or this year for all machines. Most likely last year for the Wii, this year for the X360 and either this or last for the Ps3.

The X360 is up a bit software wise, from 24794k to 29072k (17%), but that can't be expected to last, as it had some amazing software sales at the end of last year. It should still end up being up a minor number, though (5-10% I'd venture)

The Wii is down quite a bit software wise, from  37154k to 33348k (11%), which is actually a far better number than I expected.

So essentially, the software sales most likely aren't going to rise heavily from here on out.

You're expecting best case scenario for PS3 while the worse for other 2. That's a bias analysis.

Pineapple said:
Tridrakious said:
Wagram said:

As a Sony fan I will say that this was uncalled for Jack.

No it wasn't. I miss the fire the big 3 had a few years back.

This is great.

Plus the Wii and 360 are running out of steam. Just look at the list of games. Of course I will be the first to say that PS3 hardware will match this fiscal year. So back to back 15 million units sold, but the new fiscal year will have a better performance by software.

PS3 has so much more content than just games. So seeing the software side increasing over a quarter where Sony had Heavy Rain, God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII release is impressive.

Tridrakious said:

PS3 has so much more content than just games. So seeing the software side increasing over a quarter where Sony had Heavy Rain, God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII release is impressive.

The new releases of Quarter 1 2010 didn't contribute any more to the sales than the new ones in 2011, though. While those games may be highly critically acclaimed, they accounted for less than 20% of the Ps3's sales in Q1 2010. The releases in both the quarters have been roughly as big as each other, so mentioning that as a factor is kind of meaningless.

I'm not sure what the point of the "PS3 has so much more content than just games". You seem to be mixing up the sales and you liking the Ps3.

Galaki said:

You're expecting best case scenario for PS3 while the worse for other 2. That's a bias analysis.

I have a habit of doing that. I didn't really make a prediction for the Ps3, though, other than "it's going to sell roughly as much as it did in 2010".

The Ps3 had a relatively weak year for software in Q2-Q4 last year. It sold roughly 80% of the X360, despite having 92% of the userbase. In other words, Playstation 3 buyers simply didn't buy that many games last year.

It might just be that Ps3 owners don't play as much as X360 owners, in which case the pattern should repeat itself from last year. I expected the Ps3 not to perform as bad this year, but I don't really know. It could be that Sony releases their games early in the year, whereas the other companies release them late in the year, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm expecting a better case scenario for the Ps3 because it performed poorly games wise last year, whereas the X360 performed well.

I might be underestimating the Wii, though. If it gets some popular releases again, it could tie last year's sales.  All it needs is really another Mario Kart Wii/New Super Mario Bros. Wii/Wii Sports Resort/Wii Fit Plus/Wii Fit quality game (which it lacked year) in addition to the not-ridiculously-huge games like Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Donkey Kong, Just Dance and the other spinoff Mario and Wii-series games. It just needs one fantastic seller.