By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anon takes down Sony website!

Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:

We fight for consumer rights!

*Takes down PSN and hurts the service that millions of people use*

We only for fight for some consumer rights that appeal to a minority, every other consumer can go fuck themselves!

Anon and their fans are hypocrits.

Some need to be inconvenienced to secure rights for others. Like the people of the Deep South who, while maybe they didn't care too much one way or another about Civil Rights, were inconvenienced by sit-ins at cafeterias because they couldn't get their lunch, this momentary inconvenience will be to the benefit of all, if it works.

If not, it could backfire, making Sony yet more paranoid and defensive

Maybe it will teach Sony not make their console basically open source for the next generation.

Around the Network

Tagged...

Games4Fun said:
Oblivion86 said:
Games4Fun said:
Oblivion86 said:
Games4Fun said:
kcoward said:
Ajescent said:

Yup, these guys are totally the good guys
http://www.ps3blog.net/2011/04/05/hactivists-group-anonymous-hacks-psn-blocking-donations-to-tsunami-victims/?

WOW Sony website is the only place I can go to donate money to tsunami victims. get the hell out of here with that retardedness.

The point is still there in another form if you read on. Plus, you have to take into consideration that even on this board people who donated through PSN donated the couple bucks they had left on there account. Also, while there are many ways to donate to Japan not many people are going to just google it up and send money to just any company or website they see. PSN is one of those companies that the people who own Sony systems would most likly trust to see the money goes where it is needed. Not to mention it doesnt involve giving another company your infomation.

This post is just reeking of false facts, the point was that they were directly targeting anon as purposely hurting tsunami relief efforts which is just ludicrous. From the information I have gathered Anon is more then justified with whatever actions beyond acts of violence.

Prove anything I said wrong?

I'm not going to get into anything specific other then to say that there are dozen of proven relief organizations over a video game giant, that 90% of Americans would much rather trust, especially when some those orginizations are matching every dollar donated.

Back on topic, if you guys would actually research the matter as to why these retaliation attacks are happening instead of blindly following Sony you can see that what Sony did was 100% wrong, but I'll post part of it again for your benefit.

"Although Hotz denies that his activity in jailbreaking PlayStation 3 firmware violates the DMCA, Sony was awarded a temporary restraining order. Since then, Hotz and Sony have been battling it out in court to determine if the U.S. District Court of Northern California, where Sony wants to try the case, has jurisdiction over Hotz, who resides in New Jersey.

But it goes beyond that. Subsequent to the temporary restraining order, Sony has requested and received access to Hotz's social media accounts, as well the IP addresses of those who accessed his personal Web site. Last month, Sony also gained access to his PayPal account to find out if anyone from Northern California donated money to help him in his alleged hacking efforts."

But that does not prove anything I said as wrong, which is my only problem with what you posted after quoting me. There are things to consider in any given situation and while I can agree there are plenty of legit places to donate money and it far from put some huge dent in relief funds, but it did in fact disrupt it. Plenty of people have donated through PSN because they trust it just the same as I trusted my college fundrasier board.

Sorry I wasn't exactly paying attention to the entirety of the post, I was looking at the fact that you believed foxnews and their allegations against what Anon had actually done were justicified, my mistake.

Doobie_wop said:
thranx said:

Thats what all of his supporters are claiming.

Jailbreak your iphone is legal

jailbreak your ps3 not legal

I think that is the problem for most people here. It should be legal as there is precedent for it already.

The difference is that one is a games console and another is a phone. One platform makes most of it's money from hardware, another makes most of it's money from software. One runs an online gaming network, the other doesn't. One has consumers which could potentially have their online experience harmed, the other doesn't. They are two different things, both of them being electronic devices doesn't make them similar platforms.

Also, the law that was passed for phones went through, as far as I know, the law still states that consoles can't be hacked. Until something changes, then analogies are pointless in this case.

No. You don't get to pick and choose.

Doobie_wop said:
thranx said:

I think that is the problem for most people here. It should be legal as there is precedent for it already.

The difference is that one is a games console and another is a phone. One platform makes most of it's money from hardware, another makes most of it's money from software. One runs an online gaming network, the other doesn't. One has consumers which could potentially have their online experience harmed, the other doesn't. They are two different things, both of them being electronic devices doesn't make them similar platforms.

Also, the law that was passed for phones went through, as far as I know, the law still states that consoles can't be hacked. Until something changes, then analogies are pointless in this case.

Who said anything about the PSN. he did nothing to that.

The app store was not affected? I think piracy runs rampant on iphones too

The iphone doesn't have games?

Those games on iphone dont have online across a network? http://toucharcade.com/category/games/massive-multiplayer-mmo/

A business choice to sell hardware at a loss is just that a business choice. They dont have too. They do it too undermine smaller companies being able to get a foothold into the industry by inflating the cost to start up and requiring massive cash reserves. I am not going to feel sorry for Sony because of their business choice.

So they are essentially the exact same thing. except if your sony?

Around the Network
thranx said:
Doobie_wop said:
thranx said:

Those games on iphone dont have online across a network? http://toucharcade.com/category/games/massive-multiplayer-mmo/

A business choice to sell hardware at a loss is just that a business choice. They dont have too. They do it too undermine smaller companies being able to get a foothold into the industry by inflating the cost to start up and requiring massive cash reserves. I am not going to feel sorry for Sony because of their business choice.

I was referring to the network in general, the app store never got shut down and peoples ability to play games online were never harmed.

Apple doesn't run that network, they don't have a service like PSN which intersects between all games.

My fridge can play games. The I-Phone is a phone, games are a side product. It'd be like calling the PS3 a computer just because it has a browser, keyboard and mouse support and can print stuff using bluetooth.

It's not a business choice just for Sony, it's the standard console model. The Wii, PS3 and 360 are all now selling at a profit, but it isn't the hardware that's keeping their businesses running, it's the games they sell. Phones are sold at inflated prices at release, my HTC didn't cost $900 to manufacture, it cost like $200 and the rest is profit. That happens because once they sell you the phone, then it's possibly the last time they'll be making money off of you. Different business models and they shouldn't have to change them around just to support the couple of thousand hackers that want to mod their console, because I doubt consumers are going to want to start paying $1000 for a console at retail, just so the manufacture can make sure that they can make back their software losses.

Sony also isn't the only one wanting this, if Microsoft or Nintendo had a hand in this, then they'd fight just as hard. 

I'm also giving reasons as to why, not as to what should be. 

@Galaki. I'm not picking and choosing. It's the court that'll be picking and choosing, I just said that analogies are pointless when us forum dwellers don't even know what's legal or not right at this moment. Right now, it's illegal, after the case it could become legal (like with phones).

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:
thranx said:
Doobie_wop said:
thranx said:

I was referring to the network in general, the app store never got shut down and peoples ability to play games online were never harmed.

Apple doesn't run that network, they don't have a service like PSN which intersects between all games.

My fridge can play games. The I-Phone is a phone, games are a side product. It'd be like calling the PS3 a computer just because it has a browser, keyboard and mouse support and can print stuff using bluetooth.

It's not a business choice just for Sony, it's the standard console model. The Wii, PS3 and 360 are all now selling at a profit, but it isn't the hardware that's keeping their businesses running, it's the games they sell. Phones are sold at inflated prices at release, my HTC didn't cost $900 to manufacture, it cost like $200 and the rest is profit. That happens because once they sell you the phone, then it's possibly the last time they'll be making money off of you. Different business models and they shouldn't have to change them around just to support the couple of thousand hackers that want to mod their console, because I doubt consumers are going to want to start paying $1000 for a console at retail, just so the manufacture can make sure that they can make back their software losses.

Sony also isn't the only one wanting this, if Microsoft or Nintendo had a hand in this, then they'd fight just as hard. 

I'm also giving reasons as to why, not as to what should be. 

@Galaki. I'm not picking and choosing. It's the court that'll be picking and choosing, I just said that analogies are pointless when us forum dwellers don't even know what's legal or not right at this moment. Right now, it's illegal, after the case it could become legal (like with phones).

And they choose to follow that standard. Its still a choice. I could be wrong but hasn't nintendo sold every console at a profit. No loss on hardware?

-- "Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console," he said. "It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer. Indeed, with a game console, you need to take out any unnecessary elements inside the console in order to decrease its cost. ... This will of course apply to the PS3 as well." http://www.1up.com/news/hey-ps3-computer-game-system

And they choose to follow that standard. Its still a choice. I could be wrong but hasn't nintendo sold every console at a profit. No loss on hardware?

-- "Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console," he said. "It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer. Indeed, with a game console, you need to take out any unnecessary elements inside the console in order to decrease its cost. ... This will of course apply to the PS3 as well." http://www.1up.com/news/hey-ps3-computer-game-system

Nintendo wouldn't be able to run on just hardware profit alone, they are what they are because of how much software they sell. The same goes for every game company. They'd also never sell any consoles, because barely any software would be coming out for it. It costs alot of money to run a games company and the 800,000,000 or something that Nintendo would have made on hardware wouldn't be able to cover the cost of games development and the general running of the company.

I thought you didn't care what Sony said? You can't pick and choose buddy. lol jks.

Old PR quotes from ex employees doesn't change what I said, the PS3 isn't a computer. The Wii isn't a computer just because it has a browser. They are closed platforms developed with specififc features in mind and that is gaming, giving you a side feature doesn't make it that specific feature, otherwise my phone would be a calculator, my fridge would be a TV and my TV would be a games system.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:

Nintendo wouldn't be able to run on just hardware profit alone, they are what they are because of how much software they sell. The same goes for every game company. They'd also never sell any consoles, because barely any software would be coming out for it. It costs alot of money to run a games company and the 800,000,000 or something that Nintendo would have made on hardware wouldn't be able to cover the cost of games development and the general running of the company.

I thought you didn't care what Sony said? You can't pick and choose buddy. lol jks.

Old PR quotes from ex employees doesn't change what I said, the PS3 isn't a computer. The Wii isn't a computer just because it has a browser. They are closed platforms developed with specififc features in mind and that is gaming, giving you a side feature doesn't make it that specific feature, otherwise my phone would be a calculator, my fridge would be a TV and my TV would be a games system.

Piracy doesn't hurt software sales though.  The Dreamcast had a huge attach rate and was by far the easiest to pirate console in history.

So even if you were right... you'd be completely wrong, as all data tends to show piracy doesn't effect software sales both in research, and just looking at contemporary things.

Besides which, again Geohotz hacking had nothing to do with piracy, like we established, and you had no response for.

The fact that you keep trying to argue a point in which you were proven wrong and had no reply for is pretty intellectually dishonest.

Also, yes the PS3 is a computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer

Doobie_wop said:

PS3 isn't a computer

All electronic devices are computers.

Gaming system is a computer.

Celphone is a computer.

A derivative of a computer is still a computer.

But let's let the court decide and likely a techology retarted judge to rule the case.