By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat Raiden Gameplay Showcase (If you EVER liked MK, check this)

The new MK is gonna OWN. If you've ever loved MK as a kid back in the 90's (we're talking about upto UMK3 here), this game is worth checking out. This reboot of the series is a re-telling of the first 3 tournaments, which means,

NO crappy characters. Only the awesome ones from MK1-UMK3 will feature.

2D fighting plane. The 3D plane destroyed MK imo, and they're going back to their roots. And no weilding weapons too.

The nostalgia factor is gonna be big on this one as you can see classic arenas in HD glory such as the Pit II and the living forest. And the courtyard as seen in the above video. Even minor stuff like the guy popping up in the lower right of the screen when you do a few uppercuts and yelling "toasty" is back.

Also, NetherRealm studios is led by series co-creator Ed Boon, so all is in good hands. Midway is no longer involved.

Also no crappy DC characters and toned down violence. Kratos does make an appearance as a bonus character, but he has absolutely no impact on the story whatsoever (because that would be so fucking stupid).

The developers have made conscious efforts to make the game more balanced . For example, as Sub-Zero is a character that likes to fight with his own pace by have multiple moves that can freeze the opponent, he is kinda slow compared to someone like Mileena or Scorpion, who have faster, yet less powerful combos. 

Also, they are making a conscious effort to give each character some more personality. The ninjas are not merely colour swaps anymore. They all have unique basic attacks too. Reptiles kicks will feel different to Johnny Cage's as they are drastically different characters. No two fighters will feel the same.

Characters also have non-special moves that include in their abilities. For example, Scorpion has a combo ending black flip kick that has fire elements in it and sub-zero has a pop up that can freeze his enemy is mid air (for a shorter period of time than the iceball) that can lead into combos. 

Speaking of combos, you are free to discover your own and innovate, unlike the dial-a-combo thing they had in some of the earlier games.

Also new to the game is a tag-team mode that brings strategic gameplay to the table. It really does seem brilliant, with stuff like borrowing a special move from your tag partner (they do a move and get out immediately) and switching fighters mid combo, opening up new opportunities.

Also new to the game is the super meter, which consists of three bars, which are filled somewhat when inflicting damage and filled more when getting beat up. When one third full, the super meter can be used to enhance a special move. Sub-zero's ice ball becomes an ice beam which can't be jumped over, reptile's force ball is bigger, mileena does two teleport kicks instead of one, etc. etc. This uses up 1/3 of the meter. Using 2/3 of the meter, combo breakers are used. If you chose to save up the entire 3 bars of the meter, you can unleash a devastating X-ray attack. Such as these -

In conclusion, this is shaping up to be the best mortal kombat game ever made. If you EVER loved MK, you will buy this game. You owe that to your childhood memories or the good old arcade days or whatever.

Some other features of this game that scream value for your money -

A 15 hour Story Mode. Yes...thats right. 15 fucking hours of epic MK storyline. Your decisions affect the storyline.

Challenge tower with 300 missions. (Watch the mindblowing video below with new pants nearby).

The Roster -

1. Scorpion
  2. Sub-Zero
  3. Reptile
  4. Ermac
  5. Noob Saibot
  6. Sektor
  7. Cyrax
  8. Kitana 
  9. Mileena
  10. Jax
  11. Sonya
  12. Liu Kang
  13. Kung Lao
  14. Johnny Cage
  15. Kano
  16. Nightwolf
  17. Sindel
  18. Jade
  19. Baraka
  20. Shang Tsung
  21. Raiden
  22. Stryker
  23. Sheeva (was shown in Raiden's vignette... and don't confuse it with the video above)
  24. Smoke (Human version...Intro voice over was leaked sometime back...not officially confirmed yet)
  25. Kabal (same as above)
  26. Quan Chi (Rumored to be an unlockable character)
  27. Cyber Sub-Zero (Donno what this means...but it was leaked/rumored. Its probably a consequence of the story line which you can affect...and most probably not the "canon storyline". As you may know, you don't get to know whats canon and whats not until the NEXT game when it comes to MK)
  28. Goro (Boss, rumored to be unlockable later on)
  29. Kintaro (Same as above)
  30. Shao Kahn (Same as above)
  31. Kratos (PS3 bonus)

Nothing is confirmed from 22 onwards except Kratos.

Some cool videos of the game -

Around the Network

its really too bad that i suck at mortal kombat lol...gonna try it out anyways though

Also, if anyone wants to know more about the game/if you have any questions just ask me or seece. Compared to other places in the internetz, I find the hype for MK 2011 criminally low here.

While I was banned, I saw a thread here about how the game was banned in Australia where a couple of people said that "Its just Mortal Kombat...the last decent MK game was made before any of you were born". Well...

Thats what Jesus would've wanted me to tell you because this is gonna be the best mortal kombat game ever.

Really looking forward to this one.

Can't fucking wait.

Around the Network
Berstuck said:

Can't fucking wait.

Exactly what I thought after playing the demo.

This should be an official thread! :)

I'm hyped for this game, but I've never been any good at all at fighting games. Brings back memories, and for that alone I want it. I need an arcade stick to play this though, I wonder if the one that comes in the tournament edition will be any good...probably not...

PS3 Trophies

Solid_Raiden said:

This should be an official thread! :)

I'm hyped for this game, but I've never been any good at all at fighting games. Brings back memories, and for that alone I want it. I need an arcade stick to play this though, I wonder if the one that comes in the tournament edition will be any good...probably not...

Previews for the stick have been very positive.

Raiden, my favourite character, is certainly looking good in this game!

Kabal was just revealed on GTTV. I'll have to get this one eventually- it looks too good. It'll be the first one I've played since Mortal Kombat II!

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.