By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Final Fantasy IV DS First Day Sales In Japan

http://gonintendo.com/index.php?p=32102

About 400.000 units were shipped,but only 180.000 were actually sold.

Around the Network

I really did it this time.I missed the VGC thread.Please ignore this.

Well I don't quite mean this as a diss to the DS, but I always assumed that the DS's appeal was more in the Casual, pick up and play for 10 minutes, kinda games. The only game that ever remotely interested me on the DS was brain training, very simple, time consuming type of game that doesn't require much devotion. I immagine titles like Final Fantasy, or more "epic" rpg types having more appeal on the PSP, of course software sales seem to point otherwise, titles like Crisis Core kind of support the theory.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Ignoring.

Quality for Life

Personally I've barely owned any casual title.Yet I'm enjoying my DS very much.

Around the Network

@ Chrono - Like you said.I am just a casual gamer :)))

Quality for Life

To be honest selling 180,000 units in the first day is amazing. Sure they shipped 400,000 units but they didn't expect all of those units to ship on the first day. I expect all those units to sell out within the week not every fan picks the game up day one.

So that sort of blows your theory away. I mean 180,000 in a day is great!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
To be honest selling 180,000 units in the first day is amazing. Sure they shipped 400,000 units but they didn't expect all of those units to ship on the first day. I expect all those units to sell out within the week not every fan picks the game up day one.

So that sort of blows your theory away. I mean 180,000 in a day is great!

Yeah those are great numbers :) I mean I guess when shoved up next to Crisis Core and such it seems a little strange, considering the attach rate on the PSP, but not bad by any means, and I'm sure it'll have great legs.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Final Fantasy III DS did over 500K in it's first week in Japan.

So this doesn't sound like a particularly good showing.

ChronoTrigger... Pretty much everything does well on DS now. The install base is huge, afterall. There's nearly 40 million selling titles, including Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Zelda, etc.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
Final Fantasy III DS did over 500K in it's first week in Japan.

So this doesn't sound like a particularly good showing.

ChronoTrigger... Pretty much everything does well on DS now. The install base is huge, afterall. There's nearly 40 million selling titles, including Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Zelda, etc.

Keep in mind theirs another 6-days. If the game continues to sell at about 140,000 units a day or at the 180,000 mark you'll have a superior selling FFIV DS. Theirs still 6-days left Iwouldn't count it out or as a loss yet!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer