By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In strong need of story driven games! Give me some recommendations.

After finishing Nier, I've had a strong craving for another story driven game. The game doesn't have to look great, it doesn't even have to play that well, but my gaming needs are parched and I need to wet my thirs as fast as I can.

I started playing 3D Dot Game Heroes straight after playing Nier and even though the game is pretty and cool, I had to put it down and throw it into my backlog, because without a decent plot, it could only help by boring me to sleep.

I'm playing Darksiders now and the same thing has happened, cool game, but I don't care about it. 

So if anyone can recommend a good story driven game, please do and I'll be incredibly grateful. Nier, Yakuza 3, Bioshock 1 & 2, Alan Wake, Metro 2033, Dragon Age: Origins, Heavy Rain, Condemned, 999, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassins Creed 2 & Brotherhood, The Darkness, F.E.A.R. 1 & 2 are just a few of the games I've enjoyed, so anything similar would be great.

Also, bad voice acting is a no go, I don't mean bad as in Heavy Rain bad, but I mean bad as in random generic JRPG developers little cousin bad. The game doesn't have to have voice acting, but if it doesn't, then the translation and dialogue must be top tier. If the game is atmospheric, then I can forgive it for any other flaws it might have.

I also have The Witcher installed and ready on my computer and I'm 4 hours in, but while I've found the game and the story interesting, the voice acting and animation is pretty bad and plus it's a PC game and that bugs me. If it gets better, then tell me why. STALKER: Shadow of Chernoybl is also installed, but the shooting is horrible, which slows or halts my ability to progress the interesting plot.

I want to smile, I want to laugh, I want to cry, I want to think, I want to hate, I want to want vengance and I don't want to want it to end. I want every sliver of emotion from the deep interaction with the narrative to fall on my like a light shower of butterfly tears; tears of anger, tears of happiness, tears of anticipation, tears of surprise and tears of fears, I want them all.

Come at me bro!

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

wait wait wait, story driven game can mean a lot of thing !
I will just give you some "cinematic game" advice ...

so, about The Witcher, I think it is a good choice
same go for STALKER. When you say "the shooting is horrible" do u mean "i suck" ? Explain a little bit plz

Also, I would also advice you Uncharted (just finished it, quite good), Uncharted2 (hehe), Infamous (next on my own list), Red dead redemption, god of war3

and, what I m currently playing : CASTLEVANIA LORD OF SHADOW : very very good so far ! very immersive !
(even if it is an obvious god of war clone)

Time to Work !

For me the best game of this Gen storywise was Final Fantasy XIII. Absolutely brilliant, deep story and great character develoment.

I could also recommend Heavy Rain and MGS4, but you already have played them. Heavensly Sword was also a good game, maybe you would like it.

maybe mafia 2?

errr although they are in my backlog and can't vouch for them, I see you liked DAO... so ME 1&2 and KOTOR 1&2 ?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

Mass Effect 1 & 2 & Dragon Age 2 immediately come to mind.

If you're willing to bear with the stealth mechanics Alpha Protocol is a genre mixing RPG you might enjoy.

Uncharted 2 has a fun story.

If you're more interested in storytelling over pure storyline then Half-Life 2 & Episodes 1 & 2 are a must.

If you like RTS then surprisingly, Starcraft 2 actually has a a brilliant little storyline.

Also, how old are you willing the games to be. If you don't mind playing old games then I reccommend:

Deus Ex (the thrid in the series; Human Revolution is out in August)

Planescape Torment

Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2

Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 1 & 2

Console-wise, I haven't encountered a lot of games with good stories this gen. A few story-driven games that put the story as their main focus suffer from storytelling, or being poorly-written (MGS4 and Heavy Rain come to mind). Anyways, these are the ones I've enjoyed this gen. I'll also include handheld games and last gen games (PS2 mostly).

PS360:

Folklore - Has a slow start, but it has a fantastic story. Very suspenseful and having two different perspectives was pretty interesting. Folklore is, imo, one of the few games that uses the sixaxis feature very well. The only downside to this game is that it's repetive; you have to go through the same dungeons and fight the same bosses twice.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - I know what you're thinking, "you're putting a superhero game for a good story suggestion?" On the surface, the plot looks simple: Joker takes over the asylum and you (Batman) have to stop him. The thing that makes the narrative solid in this game is the characters; the characters drive the game. My favorite sections have to be with Scarecrow, since you dig within Batman's past, and it has a creepy but amazing atmosphere. It also has a lot of riddles and things to find, and you can find out some of the character's backstory through patient tapes. Gameplay is good, but the boss battles are mostly disappointing.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - U2 delivers a true cinematic experience unlike MGS4.; it seemlessly blends gameplay and cutscenes. The story is decent, but it excels at storytelling.

Mass Effect 2 - Wasn't that big of a fan of the first one; I liked the story, but the gameplay was so-so. I haven't finished ME2 yet (only played for about 10 hrs.), but so far, the story has been very good, and the gameplay is top-notch.

Vagrant Story - Not sure how you feel about downloable PSone classics, but you defintely try this out. The story and characters are unparalleled. Matsuno is a God; every game he directs is exceptional. VS does have a steep learning curve and can be a frustrating though.

DS:

Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright - I'm normally not a fan of this type of game, but the cases/stories in this game were very good and, for the lack of a better word, smart. Gameplay involves finding evidence at the crime scene, and then examing the witnesses and presenting the evidence you found at trial.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - This is my favorite handheld game of this gen, and most of it has to do with the story. It's incredible, dark, immersive, etc. My favorite thing about DS is the branching paths; the actions you take at battle or cutscenes alters the game's ending and your alignment. There's several endings, so this game has a lot of replay value.

PSP:

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable - The persona games are some of the best JRPGs in recent years. Persona 3 has a solid cast with great character development, and each character plays a vital role in the story or has a strong motivation for being there (except for maybe the dog). The setting is very cool/unique (it's set in a modern city of Japan) combined with a nice, dark atmosphere. Between Persona 3 FES and Persona 3 Portable, you have to decide what you want. P3P has the better battle system and is easier, but it doesn't contain the expansion pack (the story after Persona 3) and doesn't have the animated cutscenes.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - I consider this to be the greatest SRPG of all time. The story is pretty awesome; in fact, I believe every Matsuno game have an amazing plot, but I consider this one his greatest as it has choices and consequences. II'd also recommend FF: Tactics.

PS2:

Yakuza - Since you liked Yakuza 3, I would recommend the first Yakuza game. The story in this game is amazing; one of the best I've seen in a videogame. There is some bad voice acting though. Imo, Yakuza 3 has the weakest story in the series, so you should give Yakuza 2 a go too.

Digital Devil Saga - Another great JRPG from the SMT series; I consider this one, along with Devil Survivor, to be the best in the series in terms of story. Unlike Devil Survivor, DDS has only one ending and no branching paths. It has a lot of religion/mythological references which makes the plot more interesting. The story is about six tribes in a war; the winner of the war gets to go to nirvana.

Persona 4 - It has a very slow start and poor pacing, but despite these flaws, the story is very good. Like Batman, the characters drive the game. It does a great job developing and making you love each character. A lot of the magic from this game derives from character interaction. The story is about murders/bodies appearing after a fog. You have to save people and find out who the killer is. Great story with lots of twists and turns. Personally, I think P3 has the better plot & characters.

PC:

The Witcher - I suggest you continue with The Witcher. It's one of my favorite games this gen. I didn't like it at first, but I gave it a chance and found myself hooked. I liked the choices/paths it offered. Are you playing the Enhanced Edition btw?

Grim Fandango - A couple of us at Gamespot were discussing which game had the best story, and the majority of choose Grim Fandango. I recently played it since many were praising it, and yeah, it has a solid story. Excellent game.

Half life series are an unique story driven game with everything told in 1st person. 

Uncharted 1/2 are story diven, predictable tho interesting and if you like those stories is an fun ride from start to finish. Especially number 2. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Get Yakuza 4, it's coming out very soon and since you enjoy the third this will be an easy choice.

Well Valkyria Chronicles has a really nice story, good voice acting, some really neat characters and wonderful art style. It's also a gameplay style I really liked to go with the story.

I think Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time has the best story of any of the R&C games. Though it's not so compelling that you are itching to see where the story goes next.

Best story EVER in video games (IMO) is the Legacy of Kain series. Unfortunately all the games are PS1 and PS2, so unless you have a b/c PS3, or a PS2 you won't be able to play through the whole series.

You really can't go past the Uncharted games. They are action movies you play. All around very good production values.

I actually liked the story mode of Age of Mythologies, though I wouldn't say it was particularly story driven as such.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix