By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Japan Isn’t Giving Up On Kinect. There Is A Trailer.

Mr Puggsly said:
NotStan said:

If I am honest, I don't even know why they bother, those resources would be better allocated somewhere to Europe. ~4k HW a week just can't be justified when US churns out about 30x times as many units per week.

Well what I'm curious to know is the 360 making money in Japan?

Obviously the US and Europe is the 360's bread and butter. But whats the harm in marketing in Japan if they are breaking even or making a profit? Also, they want the Xbox brand to grow in Japan. Pulling resouces away obviously doesn't help that.

Agreed they jumped from 450k userbase last gen, to 1.5 mill and counting. If they can continue you grow, it'll be a worthwhile country to send to. Every little helps and all that

Around the Network
NotStan said:

AussieGecko said:
NotStan said:

Exactly. Shafted by japanese game developers, and now majority of JRPGs that do come out are PS3 exclusive, no point buying another console that virtually has no games.

That is why I think they are working for the future. Japan is dead for them this gen but if they just stop the next console has even less chance then this one does to do anything there. Xbox has sold 1 mill in japan yes? Assuming half of those dont have ps3's. That is doing the job by itself.

I'd say about maybe 20% of those don't have PS3 at most. The rest have Wii. Really from the Japanese perspective, unless you're an extreme fan of the Western games/culture, you wouldn't want to purchase solely a 360. There just isn't that much Japanese centric content that is exlusive to the system. Most of the titles that were Japanese centric have eventually gone multiplat. I don't know how the next Xbox will fare in Japan, I don't see it outperforming 360 by much, unless of course it gets alot more Japan centric content early on, original Xbox built the base for 360, but after that I really don't think that the foundation can be expanded any further than what it is now/will be at the end of the gen.

It should be noted that the 360 has a small but fairly dominant console niche in the Otaku gaming market. They've got the second largest userbase of Dating Sim / Shmups (the largest being the PC) and while the number is not significant it is a grassroot thing that can stick.