By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Has Now Spent Over Ten Years In The Console Business

NotStan said:

Well it's done nothing to improve the weekly HW sales. It's selling to those who already have it, or so it seems.

535k for a month says otherwise :-p As soon as it has voice everywhere I still reckon the numbers will jump... on the other hand it did nothing to japan haha

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

yo_john117 said:
NotStan said:
AussieGecko said:
NotStan said:

Xbox pushed the division severely into the red. Only the recent 360 profits after the whole RROD fiasco are beginning to thin the red out, I think they're still in the - figures if you bundle Xbox and 360 together but are really close to going into profit now. Other than that 360 has been profitable but it's still a question whether the MS venture into VG console market is justified. Looks like it'll be soon when they finally break even/make profit.

Kinect to me is proof Ms aint going away imo

Well it's done nothing to improve the weekly HW sales. It's selling to those who already have it, or so it seems.

I have to disagree with that..without Kinect i'm fairly sure xbox sales would be in a free fall for destruction.

Well it more or less averages what it has before the launch of kinect :x, the boost seemed to have been during the first few weeks where we've seen some weeks of sales higher than 5k! In theory yeah it may have an effect on the sales as there is no change and by now the sales tend to deteriorate, but in general the sales have seen no exponential increase, just the flatness.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

AussieGecko said:
NotStan said:

535k for a month says otherwise :-p As soon as it has voice everywhere I still reckon the numbers will jump... on the other hand it did nothing to japan haha

You know I meant in Japan in particular :p, in Americas it's raping, the EMEAA states are alright too I guess, but lacksture when compared to America.

yo_john117 said:

I have to disagree with that..without Kinect i'm fairly sure xbox sales would be in a free fall for destruction.

It does seem that way. Ms is investing a LOT in Kinect. Seens though Forza 4 has Kinect its... the next logical step for developers for 360 almost.

NotStan said:

You know I meant in Japan in particular :p, in Americas it's raping, the EMEAA states are alright too I guess, but lacksture when compared to America.

And that should fix with the voice reco as it is also going nuts in England. Japan is a lost cause this gen but I still want MS to continue on. Its the smartest thing to do

Around the Network
NotStan said:

And that should fix with the voice reco as it is also going nuts in England. Japan is a lost cause this gen but I still want MS to continue on. Its the smartest thing to do

Cheers! And to 10 more years of great competitiion! 

NotStan said:
Silver-Tiger said:
libellule said:

did they succeed to make any money ?
I mean overall, are they positive ? or negative ?

Also, we can thank them for bringing online gaming to console
IMO, It is useless and make singleplayer complete crap ...
Also, PC gaming was still allowing it, it was free and it remained free (L4D DLC anyone...)

They definetly made money. A lot of that.

Even if they lost a lot with the first Xbox, alone, Xbox LIVE made enough profit to negate that. I read somewhere that they make near 100 million dollars alone on XBL a year.

Xbox pushed the division severely into the red. Only the recent 360 profits after the whole RROD fiasco are beginning to thin the red out, I think they're still in the - figures if you bundle Xbox and 360 together but are really close to going into profit now. Other than that 360 has been profitable but it's still a question whether the MS venture into VG console market is justified. Looks like it'll be soon when they finally break even/make profit.

Really? I didn't thought Xbox 1 was so dramatic for MS. I thought with all the money they make with XBL, they surely break even. Ahh well, learned something again.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

All the money they lost with the original XBox will be brought back by XBox Live, Kinect and the current profit off the slim 360's and other over priced accessories.

Come next gen I'm sure MS will also charge more upfront to break even on the 720 launch. I would not be surprised to see a $500 bundle with the "new" kinect and a standard controller next gen.

MS has more profit coming their way.

Congrats to MS, I look foward to the next XBox.

It's just that simple.

Silver-Tiger said:
NotStan said:
Silver-Tiger said:
libellule said:

did they succeed to make any money ?
I mean overall, are they positive ? or negative ?

Also, we can thank them for bringing online gaming to console
IMO, It is useless and make singleplayer complete crap ...
Also, PC gaming was still allowing it, it was free and it remained free (L4D DLC anyone...)

They definetly made money. A lot of that.

Even if they lost a lot with the first Xbox, alone, Xbox LIVE made enough profit to negate that. I read somewhere that they make near 100 million dollars alone on XBL a year.

Really? I didn't thought Xbox 1 was so dramatic for MS. I thought with all the money they make with XBL, they surely break even. Ahh well, learned something again.

Not sure on the numbers but I think Xbox was 4bill into the red when 360 launched. So it did very well since then to recoup the losses.