By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "reviews are not master of our opinions" group.

This is a group I'm making for those sick of others insisting that we either let reviews decide when we buy a game, or that we should let them.

I'd like a good preamble for this, but perhaps we could all work on making one and I can put it in this OP later.

The basic point is that we buy and don't buy games because of what we feel, not because reviews tell us what to do. And we won't be bullied into doing otherwise just because some metacritic score tells us that we should have bought more copies of GTA IV than Mario Kart Wii, or that we should have bought more copies of Heavy Rain than Epic Mickey, or that we shouldn't be buying Black Ops at a faster rate than we bought Modern Warfare 2, or that we're wrong for not buying Chinatown Wars, or that there is something wrong with us for buying anything they decide is "casual".

And this is also for anyone else sick of gaming companies deciding  a bunch of review scores matter more to them then the millions of us who actually give them money.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Yeah im in

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

i hate reviews but i disagree with you on something.

theirs nothing wrong with telling people that they should have a bought a certain game. yes that is the purpose of a reviewer, but telling it as a gamer isnt something bad. gaming is my hobby and if a game deserves more sales then its my duty as a fan to help. one of the reasons reviewers are hated are because they are bias, because they nitpick a lot, because they dont rate a game for what it is, and because they are like those retarted kids on youtube who scream cod clone, borderlands clone, god of war clone ....... when they see a new game.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:

theirs nothing wrong with telling people that they should have a bought a certain game. yes that is the purpose of a reviewer, but telling it as a gamer isnt something bad. gaming is my hobby and if a game deserves more sales then its my duty as a fan to help. one of the reasons reviewers are hated are because they are bias, because they nitpick a lot, because they dont rate a game for what it is, and because they are like those retarted kids on youtube who scream cod clone, borderlands clone, god of war clone ....... when they see a new game.

No, I wrote "because some metacritic score tells us". There's a difference between "You might like Chinatown Wars if you give it a shot," and "It's the highest rated DS game. Don't you like M-rated games on the DS?".

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
zgamer5 said:

No, I wrote "because some metacritic score tells us". There's a difference between "You might like Chinatown Wars if you give it a shot," and "It's the highest rated DS game. Don't you like M-rated games on the DS?".

i understand.

anyway ive realised that over the past year reviewers have become harsher, and that they strated to nitpick more and more. i just watched a saints row 2 video review, and the reviewer was smiling and he said that the game was fun, and he reviewed it for what it is. you dont see that these days.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

Count me in!

Everyone's a critic  

zgamer5 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
zgamer5 said:

i understand.

anyway ive realised that over the past year reviewers have become harsher, and that they strated to nitpick more and more. i just watched a saints row 2 video review, and the reviewer was smiling and he said that the game was fun, and he reviewed it for what it is. you dont see that these days.

You still get that with "non-professiona" reviews. See youtube channels like wiiviewer, and classic game room. I still don't agree with them all the time, but their reviews are fun to watch.

Red Ninja got a 3/10 on certain sites.  I loved it.  I play what I wanna play, reviews be damned!!

Count me in.

Count me in!!!:D