By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Too young to be sued? Not in US of A.

Source

Man, 60, Sues Boy, 8, Over Ski Collision

AP
Posted: 2007-12-20 22:53:17
VAIL, Colo. (AP) - A 60-year-old man is taking an 8-year-old boy and his dad to court, claiming the boy caused a ski-slope collision that left the older man with a shoulder injury.

David J. Pfahler of Allentown, Pa., sued in federal court in Denver, claiming Scott Swimm, then 7, was skiing fast and recklessly when they collided in January, the Vail Daily reported Thursday.

The suit claims Pfahler suffered a torn shoulder tendon and seeks compensation for physical therapy, vacation time, nursing and medical services provided by Pfahler's wife, and other expenses. It estimates the couple's losses at more than $75,000.

Scott's father, Robb Swimm, said that he saw the crash and that Scott was skiing slowly and in control.

"It wasn't a violent collision or anything; Scott just kind of tapped his ski boots," he said this week.

Scott's mother, Susan Swimm, said her son weighs 48 pounds and couldn't have been going more than 10 mph.

"Who in the world sues a child?" she said. "It just boggles my mind every day."

Pfahler's Denver attorney, Jim Chalat, declined to comment on specifics but says Pfahler, who works for Reader's Digest, wants to go back to work.

Around the Network

add another one to the WTF bracket and the only in America group

Wow. It would be like my little brother getting sued by my dad's C.E.O. as much as I love America, people are idiots sometimes. :(

Wow.

"Your grasp of the obvious is inspiring." - Commander Shepard
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel." Commander Shepard
I support JRPGs on the Xbox 360.
Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad
"Nothing can make it moral to destroy the best. One can't be punished for being good. One can't be penalized for ability. If that is right, then we'd better start slaughtering one another, because there isn't any right at all in the world." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

and he works in reader digest...
bet hes the janitor...

you can still type on a computer,
but you cant mop the floor when
you have an injured shoulder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

I've never understood the litigious nature of my neighbor to the south.

In fact I think that statement just opened me up to a lawsuit...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Guys, even the first sentence in the article states:

"A 60-year-old man is taking an 8-year-old boy and his dad to court...."

This isn't the first case where someone is taking a kid to civil court, and it won't be the last. Unlike criminal cases where they can send minors to juvenile hall and/or a mental ward, in civil cases the parent(s) or legal guardian is responsible for any monetary compensation.

In this case, the father is the legal custodian, he is also a witness, and he will be pleading his case at to why the court shouldn't burn a hole in his wallet!

Lawyer's fee burns holes.

I blame the lawyers. They probably encouraged this guy to sue.

Greed my friends doesn't discriminate.