By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's profits compared to other companies

I read somewhere that Nintendo maybe making more in net profits in the video game industry than all other video companies combined. Could that be true?

Around the Network

I wouldn't be surprised if they make more than all others. The biggest two other companies(Sony and Microsoft) have profits between zero and negative billions. I wonder if they count Sony's negative profit against the positive profit of other more successful companies when they made the comparison of all other companies.

Probably.

I am not sure but I doubt it. Is that just consoles, how about PCs? I would think that Activision-Blizzard would be making a fair bit between GH3, WoW, and CoD although I am just guesssing. I assume EA is going to make a good chunk, with their eternal franchises, as well but again just guessing. I assume there are also a lot of small players out there as well with smaller profits that add up.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

Last I heard Nintendo averages $50 profit for every Wii Console sold. Not to mention accessories and other games, as well as virtual console I'm sure they are doing well for themselves.

Its not what people say that is offensive, it is how we react to it that determines offense or not- REBT theory of Albert Ellis.

Competing in online FPS since 1999.

Currently own a supreme gaming PC playing CoD4

Currently own a Wii with Mario Party 8, Resident Evil 4, Trauma Center: New Blood, Wii play, Mario Strikers Charged, and Wii sports. Looking forward to Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Http://www.onlinebrawlcommunity.com    Online Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament Series!  Feel free to sign up and chat with fellow smashers using our forums.  Casual competitions (i.e. HomeRun Contest) to come soon!

Around the Network

They will probably make between $3-4 billion dollars for the fiscal year. It will probably be the largest amount ever made by a single company in the video game business in one year.

They made 132,421 million yen or around $1.2 billion in the first six months of the fiscal year without holiday sales.

It prints money!

I agree with FishyJoe.

If we're talking consoles, then does anyone here honestly think the rest of the industry is making 3-4 billion combined? I don't.  Considering:

EA is losing money
Take Two is losing money
Konami is losing money
Sony is losing a TON of money

The only companies making major money on consoles right now are Activision, Nintendo... and... ?

I don't think there is any question. Especially if you include the above companies as negative profits, which you probably should. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

It is scary indeed. Nintendo made more money in one year than other companies made in a entire generation. I can not help but think how much would they make if they were in Sony`s place the last 2 generations.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Isnt Nintendo making more profits than all of Sony? I mean the entire corporation? Take 2 is doing quite well this year with Bioshock and defintiely will nest year with GTA 4. Ubisoft is also doing quite well the gen with hits like Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell DA, Ghost Recon AW, and Rainbow Six Vegas.