By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Dark Souls Could Win Game Of The Year 2011

I wonder how the pc only gaming community feels about Demons Souls and Dark Souls. I think both games would please them like little games out there.

Around the Network

How similar is the gameplay to Monster Hunter?

Snesboy said:
NiKKoM said:
TT Makaveli said:

it could...if Last Guardian,Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3 wouldnt release this year

even if this 3 games i mentioned would be a little bit inferior to Dark Souls it would rather pick up the GOTY awards just because there are more popular (at least U3 & GoW3)

Skyrim... Skyrim mate... >_>

He forgot Zelda: Skyward Sword too.

And Pikmin 3.

I am still not sure if I should get Demons Souls. I am a JRPG Fan but from what I have seen DS is just an Action game with rpg elements and without much story. I just can't stand the WRPG approach. I was ultimately bored by Oblivion, and didn't like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Borderlands or Sacred 2. As soon as I heard DS is like a japanese WRPG with online mode I lost interest.

I watched some videos and it somehow looks great and seems to have a strong atmosphere... I could really like it... but I already fell for "game of the year"'s like Oblivion, ME2 and DA. I just don't want to buy it just to find out that I do not like it at all again... on the other hand I risk to miss a great game... it is hard to decide.

I am just playing Star Wars TFU on hardest mode and I lost interest pretty fast. Weak Story and unforgiving gameplay are just making the game feel like a waste of time. I am glad that it lasts only 10-15 hours, so I can get the platinum and sell the game quickly.

I fear that DS could be similar. The lack of a checkpoint system just make it possible that I waste a lot of time until I get the hang of the level/game and lose interest soon. Without a story to keep me interested I fear that the game has nothing more to offer than harsh difficulty and a nice atmosphere. Several Playtrough and new game also do not feel like "replay value" for me... more like "waste of time" to play the same game over and over again. I somehow prefer to be able to backtrack and gain everything in 1 playthrough....

I can play like 1-2h per weekday and some hours on the weekend and I just want to get something done in this time. Hmm, it seems that I found more negative points than positive ones... but it still looks interesting...