By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Make and post and of you top ten lists related to gaming.

Just as tht title says, this thread is for posting your own top ten lists (or other numbers if you like) related to gaming. It can be the typical types of lists (your top ten Gamecube or Genesis games), but it's not limited to that. As long as it's clearly related to gaming (although something like "Top ten celebrities who play games" would be too much stretcing it) make it and post it here.

Now if you disagree with something on a list, do not argue with it. This is for all of us, so the obvious resonse to a list you don't like is to make your own and post it here.

I'm going to make sure I can post a list myself every week, starting with my top fanfares in video games. For those of you unfamiliar, a fanfare is a piece of music played on brass instruments (usually trumpets) in a bombastic manner, to celebrate something (it's also why it's now also used to describe a form of hype and promotion). You remember the opening music to "Star Wars"? That's a fanfare. Or the opening to "Superman: The Movie", or the ending music to the "Indiana Jones" films. Let's just say John Williams is very good at this kind of composition. So of course video games would have them as well.

I would like to provide links to the music being played, but as I don't know of any that will reliably stay up, I'll just post the games and the name of the musical pieces so you can search for them.

Now without further ado:

10. Sonic The Hedgehog (1, 2) - "Title": Now the Genesis sound chip makes it hard to determine if this would be played in real life with brass instruments, but otherwise the opening screen music for the first (and second) Sonic game is a true fanfare. It wastes no time in basically telling you "Here comes the blue speedster!" Now while I personally prefer Mario games (but the first Sonic games are classics nonetheless), and his games are rarely without their own fanfares, they don't hold a candle to this musical gem.

09. Golden Sun - "Overture": A little spoiler, this list will be dominated by RPGs, particularly JRPGs. This is because the composers quite often try to get the majestic feeling of an epic film or opera in their music. Nothing against western RPGs. I just find their music is often more of a background ambiance than something to be just as clear as the gameplay. I should discuss this piece more, but there isn't much to say other than I like it enough to make this list. It's just not as grand or majestic as the other fanfares here.

08. Final Fantasy - "Victory Fanfare": Although VII through X screw up the second part, this tune is one of the most common and celebrated in the series. It's not majestic enough for my tastes to place higher, but does convey the sense of "You won! You're awesome!" well.

07. Knights of the Round - "Stage Clear": Now this victory fanfare certainly is majestic enough for me. Sure the game itself is basically "Final Fight" but ripping off "Golden Axe" instead of "Double Dragon", but the music sure is great. Oddly enough, the SNES version actually pulls off the "trumpet" sound better than the arcade version in the music. I guess the arcade game just had a radically different sound chip.

06. The Legend of Zelda - "Overworld": If you haven't played any of the games before Ocarina, you might now know this tune. For those who have, you know how this tune drives you on to adventure. Oddly enough, the animated series played this as a true fanfare first, and while "A Link to the Past" comes close, it's the "Super Smash Bros" series that plays the theme in its full bombastic glory.

05. Chrono Trigger - "Lucca's Theme": Now some mistake this for a victory tune, likely because it plays when you win the over bike race. But considering who the tune is named for, it's actually a fanfare FOR SCIENCE! I don't care for the two Chrono Cross remixes, since even though they are victory tunes, they are not fanfares. The brass is gone after the first parts, and the tempo is slowed down on all parts. What the hell made the Squaresoft composers at the time think we wanted victory music to be softer? It's f*ing victory music!

04. Disgaea (1) - "The Anthem Of Braves": That's right, space cadets, being a Defender of Earth is always better when accompanies by a majestic fanfare! That's why Captain Gordon and his crew has this tune play when he and his crew are on screen. Note that this tune isn't named for him alone, or even for the title of Defender of Earth. That means this tune is for his invaluable team as well as him! After all, Jennifer and Thursday are no less brave than Gordon, and he wouldn't be the defender he is without them!

03. Star Fox (1) - "Course Select", "Course Clear (1)", "Course Clear (2)", "Ending", "End credits": Yeah, you read that right, I'm putting five of them up here. The reason is that they all contain the same bit of melody that I'm counting as the fanfare here. Actually the melody appears six times, but the "Control Select" music is soft instead of a fanfare. Regardless, music like this is why I say the first game has the best music of the entire series.

02. Brave Fencer Musashi - "The Musashi Legend": This is an obscure game, but I highly recommend it (haven't played the sequel though). Anyway, the reason this tune is so high on my list is that it hooked me in right from the first level. I felt like a great hero, just from listening to it. I don't think any musical piece has said "great hero" to me like this other than the aforementioned "Superman" overture.

01. Dragon Quest - "Overture": If you've played any of the games, you know what this tune is, and why it's number one. Every part just screams "epic adventure", while a few parts also say "but it won't be dark and moody". The opening from part VIII is the best for me, as it uses a full orchestra in the game, but all of them otherwise work just as well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Nice idea.

My top 10 favorite pieces of music in gaming:

10. Dark World - A Link to the Past

9. Pharaoh Man - Mega Man 4

8. Opening Stage - Mega Man 7

7. Wheel Gator - Mega Man X2

6. Gravity Beetle - Mega Man X3

5. Bubble Man - Mega Man 2

4. Opening Stage - Mega Man X

3. Shadow Man - Mega Man 3

2. Launch Octopus - Mega Man X

1. Spark Man - Mega Man 3

Yeah, I like Mega Man music. How'd you know?

My top 10 gaming characters would probably have to be; - For either design/dialogue/originality or w/e reason I could think of to put them on there.

10. Marcus Fenix (Gears of War) - An overall badass for me, despite not ranking very highly the character is quite memorable I guess because I've played Gears, even though the dialogue sucks I stole his phrase "NOICE" and it's an inside gears joke between me and a friend :D

9. Isaac Clarke (Dead Space) - Badass maintenance engineer. I really like the character design, helmet in particular.

8. Crash (Crash games on PS1) - One of the most memorable characters of my childhood when playing PS1, I remember having quite alot of different Crash games and the priceless fun that I've had as a result, whether playing solo or split screen with a few mates.

7. Castle Crashers - will group all of them together, they're that awesome. I absolutely love the Castle Crashers design, it's just so simple, it's awesome. The game is a masterpiece to me, was so original at the time I've played it.

6. John Marston (Red Dead Redemption) - An absolute badass character, I loved the character/design and almost all of the features, his attitude to life was epic, even if he was a fictional character, honourable man is honourable.

5. Garrus (ME2) - Somewhat unstable as a result of something unfortunate, he is still one of my favourite characters, I guess I just like his design and just the general dialogue that he can provide.

4. Thane (ME2) - Awesome first sighting as well as very interesting dialogues, this guy just exhumes awesome.

3. Emil/Jorge/Noble 6(Reach) - Decided to group all of them together, even Carter should be in there, Jun and Kat however sucked balls. I really liked the 4 spartans, including the main character. Overall a quite nice story and I think the ending was rather fitting.

2. Shepard(ME2) - Shepard comes close to beating MC for me, but I've played Halo so long ago it's just set in stone for me, until a much cooler character comes along. Shepard come sclose and I do like the way that I can affect his actions, I also like the default character design and just left it at that.

1. Master Chief :D - First played it on PC, Halo:CE was one of my favourite games by far, I guess I was young and easily amazed back then, and MC has left his mark on me.(No, not in a paedo way) and remains one of my favourite characters - I like the concept of Spartan soldier(If somewhat unreal) it is interesting and MC embolishes the concept. Really can't wait till the next installment.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

MrT-Tar's top ten RPGs:

Top 10 coolest characters:

Now remember: Like any other top 10 that I do, if there's something or someone that I leave out, that you would've liked to see...

I don't give a shit.

10. Arthas/Lich King - Warcraft Series

Get it? "Coolest?"

Hm. Tough audience.

Seriously though, nothing says "cool kid" like murdering everyone you knew and loved and forming an unholy army of the damned.

9. Wander - Shadow of the Colossus

*Insert a picture that isn't blurry as Hell here*

This guy might not be the coolest-looking kid on the video game block, but how many guys can you name, that could kill a 100-foot tall lumbering giant, that's trying to kill you?

... Alright, pretty many, but let's not forget that Wander is no superhero, but a guy with a bow, a sword and a horse.

8. Dante - Devil May Cry Series

He's not higher, because he's already included in every fucking list like this.

7. Ridley - Metroid Series

My massive fanboyism for the Metroid franchise prevented me from not including at least one character from it, but after you-know-what-game, I couldn't really include the protagonist, and what else is there? A big brain in a tube and a fat lizard? Plus he's a dinosaur.

6. Metal Man - Mega Man Series

When you first take a glance at Mega Man 2's Stage Select screen, it's not hard to spot who's the boss of the bunch. The guy has glowing red eyes, a saw blade on his forehead, and his weapon is so good, that it pretty much breaks the entire game.

5. Arthur - Ghosts n' Goblins Series

He killed Satan in his underpants. Twice. In the same game.

What did you do today?

4. Kratos - God of War Series

I bet you're utterly staggered by this choice.

3. Sam Gideon - Vanquish

'Cause everybody knows smoking makes you cooler, and this guy goes through 3 packs a day. How can I not include him in the top three?

Sliding around 90 miles per hour and punching giant robots' heads off is pretty cool too, I guess.

2. Mike Haggar - Final Fight Series

Dude piledrives sharks. Next number.

1. Akuma - Street Fighter Series

I remember being nine, maybe ten, and playing the Hell out of Super Street Fighter II Turbo. And I considered myself to be a pretty good player. That is until I got the 'brilliant' idea of trying to beat the game without using any continues. After a few tries, I succeeded, and proceeded to face M. Bison.

Cockily, I sneer at the fool, as I prepare to- OMGWHOTHEHELLISTHISGUYHOWCANHETHROWTWOHADOKENSINMIDAIRWHYISHESOHARDawwdamnitIlost.

I probably tried to beat the guy over fifty times before finally winning. (Shut up, I was nine. ¬_¬) And while on the outside, I cursed this guy with every imaginable cuss word I knew, on the inside I thought "Damn, this guy is cool."

*Waits for someone to post the "Cool Story Bro"-picture*

Around the Network

Cool idea for a thread (I'll go thru and read them all after my post)

Top 10 game series from this generation:

10. Heavy Rain - Deserves mention since it was so unique and fun. 

9. Borderlands - Mucho fun! Hopefully if there's a sequel its good too.

8. Dead Space - I have only ever played them at my friends house but they are good games. Not really my cup of tea but they are well made. 

7. UFC - Well made and very fun games. I mean of course THQ's series and not EA MMA and the other ones.

6. Assassin's Creed - Great games. Haven't played Brotherhood yet but 1 and 2 were awesome.

5. Rainbow Six Vegas - I know Rainbow Six isn't from this gen but the Vegas line of R6 games is. And they are very good. R6V was the first game I ever played online on a console.

4. Resistance - Fall of Man is one of my first games played this gen and also one of my favs! It was amazing. Anyone who calls it a Halo clone hasn't played it because while there are similarities to Halo it plays nothing like Halo. Resistance 2 wasn't as good as FoM but R3 is looking to be amazing.

3. Call of Duty - I know it started back in like 2001 or something on the PC but I'm really only talking about CoD2 to Black Ops here, i.e. the era where CoD has dominated the online console gaming realm. The only reason I have CoD so high on my list is because CoD4 is the best online multiplayer console game in history. Modern Warfare 2 would have been great if not for lack of post-launch support. Black Ops is a great game but kind of boring. Lets not talk about CoD3 or World at War. 

2. Uncharted - Both games in this series were amazing. Uncharted DF was awesome but unfortunately overshadowed by the even more awesome Uncharted 2. I expect Uncharted 3 to be fantastic.

1. Fallout - I know it started way back on the PC but I'm really only talking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas here. Both amazing games and Fallout 3 is my favourite game this gen, and possibly all time

Honourable mentions: LBP and Infamous

Left off b/c I hate these games: Left 4 Dead and Gears of War

Chairman-Mao said:

Cool idea for a thread (I'll go thru and read them all after my post)

Top 10 game series from this generation:

10. Heavy Rain - Deserves mention since it was so unique and fun. 

9. Borderlands - Mucho fun! Hopefully if there's a sequel its good too.

8. Dead Space - I have only ever played them at my friends house but they are good games. Not really my cup of tea but they are well made. 

7. UFC - Well made and very fun games. I mean of course THQ's series and not EA MMA and the other ones.

6. Assassin's Creed - Great games. Haven't played Brotherhood yet but 1 and 2 were awesome.

5. Rainbow Six Vegas - I know Rainbow Six isn't from this gen but the Vegas line of R6 games is. And they are very good. R6V was the first game I ever played online on a console.

4. Resistance - Fall of Man is one of my first games played this gen and also one of my favs! It was amazing. Anyone who calls it a Halo clone hasn't played it because while there are similarities to Halo it plays nothing like Halo. Resistance 2 wasn't as good as FoM but R3 is looking to be amazing.

3. Call of Duty - I know it started back in like 2001 or something on the PC but I'm really only talking about CoD2 to Black Ops here, i.e. the era where CoD has dominated the online console gaming realm. The only reason I have CoD so high on my list is because CoD4 is the best online multiplayer console game in history. Modern Warfare 2 would have been great if not for lack of post-launch support. Black Ops is a great game but kind of boring. Lets not talk about CoD3 or World at War. 

2. Uncharted - Both games in this series were amazing. Uncharted DF was awesome but unfortunately overshadowed by the even more awesome Uncharted 2. I expect Uncharted 3 to be fantastic.

1. Fallout - I know it started way back on the PC but I'm really only talking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas here. Both amazing games and Fallout 3 is my favourite game this gen, and possibly all time

Honourable mentions: LBP and Infamous

Left off b/c I hate these games: Left 4 Dead and Gears of War

I'm going to call that, because "series" means there was at least more than one game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Nice thread idea.

My Top 10 point&click adventure games:

10. The Longest Journey
9. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
8. Full Throttle
7. The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate
6. The Curse of Monkey Island
5. Grim Fandango
4. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
3. Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
2. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
1. The Secret of Monkey Island

okr said:

Nice thread idea.

10. The Longest Journey
8. Full Throttle
5. Grim Fandango

Interesting. For some reason I always thought you preferred Monkey Island 2 over the first one. Both are awesome though!

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:
okr said:

Nice thread idea.

10. The Longest Journey
8. Full Throttle
5. Grim Fandango

Interesting. For some reason I always thought you preferred Monkey Island 2 over the first one. Both are awesome though!

Actually I love them both equally and I consider Monkey Island 1&2 as one brilliant game, but for my top 10 I had to put them in different spots. TSoMI takes the top spot for the simple reason that it was the first MI game.