By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So it has to be asked, should Bulletstorm have been a 360 exclusive?

So it has to be asked, should Bulletstorm have been a 360 exclusive?

For sure, Epic and 360 mi... 191 41.34%

No way, multi-plat is the way to go 164 35.50%

See results 107 23.16%

Total:462

Not our fault MS was too cheap to purchase exclusivity for BS from Epic.  Price must have been too high, even for MS.

Around the Network
themanwithnoname said:
binary solo said:

Yah, more like Epic had a brain explosion wanting to release opposite KZ3 and EA didn't have the stones to pull them into line. No doubt BS would still have done lower numbers on PS3, including across EMEAA were it released with no quality, exclusive PS3 competition, but it would have sold well enough that this thread would never have existed.

BS will no doubt leg it out to a few hundred K on PS3, but because of Epic's arrogant timing decision it could be that a PC/360 exclusive might have sold slightly more.

Another Gears it aint and that's top do with the game itself, not that it is multiplat.

Not sure why you think Epic's deciding when the game is released. EA's the publisher and it's their decision in the end.

You think Epic had no say in the matter? Me, I think EA's good relations with Sony in general suggests Epic pushed for a KZ3 face off and for some unfathomable reason EA acceded. Perhaps they thought Bulletstorm had a genuine chance because KZ2 sold a mere 2.5 million.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I do agree that it was a dumb decision to release it on the same day as KZ3, especially if it was purposeful as Cliffy B. made it sound. I didn't mind his comment, but at the same time it was just a bad, dumb idea. If they were expecting strong sales on ps3 they were crazy. It still would have sold more on 360 - it's a fps and it's made by Epic games - but, I think it would have sold at least another 50-100k if it was released just one or 2 weeks later. It's unfortunate they did this. Looks like it's a well made game.

Nope.  Not on the evidence.  My reasoning:

• I don't think being on the PS3 took any sales from 360 - i.e. if it was only 360 I think right now the launch sales would have been the same on 360 and hence less overall
  • They could easily have seen more sales on PS3 is they'd a) avoided KZ3 and b) restrained CliffyB from making jokes that emphazied the Epic/360 link.  I know he was just joking, but a lot of fanboys would have taken his comments complelty wrong

Therefore, without PS3 the sales would have been even lower IMHO than they are now and if they'd handled the launch a bit better they'd be even higher PS3/360 combined.

I think the simple issue is Bulletstorm didn't really stand out, hence the modest interest on 360 and the easy choice for PS3 owners to chose KZ3 instead.

So being 360 exclusive would have gained nothing in my view while not being on PS3 would simply have reduced the total pot of sales.

Avoid the exclusive P with a fanbase with your new multi-platform IP is the lesson - and it's so 101 I just don't understand what EA were thinking with the release date.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I think it is better for People Can Fly that everyone can play their game. It's important for them as a "new" developer on HD consoles.

Around the Network
Attoyou said:

PS3 owners had a better choice, and looks like a lot took it.

Good for them.

Both scored around 84 on Meta, so it's just your opinion it's better. They both seem around the sam mark quality wise.

Seece said:
Attoyou said:

PS3 owners had a better choice, and looks like a lot took it.

Good for them.

Both scored around 84 on Meta, so it's just your opinion it's better. They both seem around the sam mark quality wise.

Agreed.  The issue wasn't quality in my view, simply the poor move of pitting a new IP against one with an existing fanbase combined with pitting a multi platform title against a platform exclusive.

You're just asking for trouble doing that unless you know you've got the better title, marketing or buzz to carry the day.

It's a shame but I have no idea why EA did that.  I'm pretty sure if they'd released a couple of weeks after KZ3 they'd have gotten the same 360 sames with a much better PS3 launch.  Just a strange move.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Week one would have definitely been better, the PS3 version did not even beat Black Ops(The mammoth that it is, it's been out for a while and it's hovering at 10th position), I am not sure about LT and it's too early to call anyway, if it gets to the point where the sales drop off to less than 5k a week by it's 3rd month, then yeah, it probably would have been better if it had the appeal of exclusivity. Similar to the case of Crackdown. I think if anything the case of Crackdown is very similar to Bulletstorm, the Gears 3 beta is if not as good, but almost on par with the demand for the Halo 3 beta, people brought that game for beta but found it to be quite decent, so the game got better legs later on. I think bulletstorm on 360 has a chance to leg it over 2m, for PS3 1m would probably be a challenge but not completely out of the question.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

No way , not everyone owns a 360, so they make more profit eventualy by maing it multiplat. Every game that I know of that started out as a 360 exclusivethan to go multiplat has substantaly sold better on the 360 than PS3. This is no suprise, From Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Ninja Gaiden, The oRANGE bOX and probably more than I can think of havesold better on 360 because the company was workimg with Microsoft longer than any other. Recognition of a developer draws more people to know a game is of good quality, so when that developer has a greater history with a certain compant there is little suprise they would sell more copies of the game to that company.

These companies are looking to make the most profit possible so by going multiplat the make more profit eventually. Basing your arguement on Bulletstorm is crazy after only one week.

BenVTrigger said:

Well now that we have the first week sales for Bulletstorm they are massivley 1 sided for the 360.  Given Epic games strong partnership with the 360 this generation and the relatively poor sales on the PS3, should Bulletstorm have just been a 360 exclusive?

There's pro's and con's for both sides but personally I think it would have payed off better for both Epic and Microsoft if they would have done that.  There could have been more advertising and "hype" for it since it would have been an exclusive and MS would have had a big shooter to put up against in direct competition with Killzone 3.

On the 360 for a new IP I think Bulletstorm had a pretty good launch and will probably end up being a million seller on the system but if it had been exclusive with more hype and advertising it could have probably done even more.  What do you guys think?

Yes, yes I agree. Should have been exclusive. Exclusivity would mean more support from MS which equals to more advertising and most probably better sales. not to mention it could move some cosnoles.