By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - judge is giving sony ips from youtube, twitter and geohotz website

oldschoolfool said:
Mr Khan said:
JayWood2010 said:

wow, everybody is blowing this out of proportion.  First off, SONY is right.  Second off Geohotz and all the hackers are wrong, yet you all try to defend yourselves as being innocent. Stealing is not innocent.  THird off, Sony is getting the ip addresses to prove that people are using his hack to steal games. Comments and videos will definitely prove this that people is using his hack to steal.  They are not banning ip addresses just because you watched a video on youtube, however, sony may use those ip addresses to track those people to make sure youre not using a hack on your ps3

They are excercising their rights to use the device that they bought and legally own (despite whatever "licensing" horseshit Sony likes to spew) they are in the right, Sony is so insanely in the wrong. Legally. Period. No debate.

not period. The licensing thing is not horseshit. That could be the key to Sony being in the right,but I never read those things,so I would'nt now. Are you a lawyer? Do you know all of the lawyer/legal speak? Do you know how a judge is going to rule? Do you know what's going on behind the scenes? I don't know who's in the right are the wrong and I do think it's up for debate in my humbled opinion. 

Not a lawyer, i just know that the courts in the past have consistently stood for the ownership definition over the licensing one. You want to pursue pirates? sure. But only as pirates and not as people doing things to their own property that they are legally entitled to do, and spreading the information about how to do something that we have defined is legal, to others.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Mr Khan said:

This is a flagrant violation of consumer rights to a severe degree.

Watching youtube vids makes you a criminal!

Sony is going to get their ass handed to them on appeal so bad it'll make their heads spin

It doesn't say anywhere that watching a youtube vid makes you a criminal. They asked for the IPs so that they can conduct their investigation.

And IIRC the ToS is legally binding, and therefore cracking the ps3 is suable. 

Not when the terms of service conflicts with basic consumer rights, i wouldn't think.

Mr Khan said:
markers said:
Mr Khan said:

Sony is going to get their ass handed to them on appeal so bad it'll make their heads spin

lol you are blowing this out of proportion here. They got these IP addresses to see who watches these videos and from where. The latter would be to prove that the majority is from California where Sony wants the case to be held. The former is then to see if that IP address has a PS3 and from there they can tell if you have the homebrew or have pirated.

In no way, shape, or form has Sony stated you are a criminal for watching youtube.

And why not be able to hit people with a large net? You don't think Sony's legal division will take this opportunity to encourage an addendum to the EULA that states that if you view this content, they know who you are and can pursue legal action?

Yes it is ideal to get all of them at once. And that could be the bigger picture that Sony has in mind while obtaining these IP addresses. But again they are not going to rush and ban everyone, this is potential millions of people. As I stated in my previous post they will watch the console that may or may not be tied with the IP address that watched the videos of hacking or homebrewing or whatever it was.

dsister said:
Icyedge said:

"...Hotz is accused of breaching the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and other laws after he published an encryption key and software tools on his website..."

So no it doesnt cause a bad precedent for people who wants to hack the stuff they legaly own.

... -__- 

I'm not even going to try to argue this really. Hotz is accused of breaching DMCA. Which criminalizes circumventing DRM. Which is exactly what hacking your console does. So yes, in essence if Sony wins they can pursue anyone that hacked their console

The ability to do what you want with what you own is a basic consumer right, any judge will agree that it override any other liability. Thats why they are sueing geohot for publishing an encryption key and software tools on his website, not for hacking his personal PS3.

Mr Khan said:
markers said:
Mr Khan said:

lol you are blowing this out of proportion here. They got these IP addresses to see who watches these videos and from where. The latter would be to prove that the majority is from California where Sony wants the case to be held. The former is then to see if that IP address has a PS3 and from there they can tell if you have the homebrew or have pirated.

In no way, shape, or form has Sony stated you are a criminal for watching youtube.

And why not be able to hit people with a large net? You don't think Sony's legal division will take this opportunity to encourage an addendum to the EULA that states that if you view this content, they know who you are and can pursue legal action?

They are not going to sue people who watched the youtube video. That would be against first amendment rights, and they would lose that case. I don't know why you think Sony's lawyer division is full of retards... oh wait yes I do. You're a hater.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
markers said:
Mr Khan said:

They are not going to sue people who watched the youtube video. That would be against first amendment rights, and they would lose that case. I don't know why you think Sony's lawyer division is full of retards... oh wait yes I do. You're a hater, and haters gunna hate. :D

Icyedge said:
dsister said:
Icyedge said:

"...Hotz is accused of breaching the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and other laws after he published an encryption key and software tools on his website..."

So no it doesnt cause a bad precedent for people who wants to hack the stuff they legaly own.

... -__- 

I'm not even going to try to argue this really. Hotz is accused of breaching DMCA. Which criminalizes circumventing DRM. Which is exactly what hacking your console does. So yes, in essence if Sony wins they can pursue anyone that hacked their console

The ability to do what you want with what you own is a basic consumer right, any judge will agree that it override any other liability. Thats why they are sueing geohot for publishing an encryption key and software tools on his website, not for hacking his personal PS3.

But if its legal to hack your own PS3, it is therefore legal to publish the information leading to others to be able to do so, to distribute information on how to conduct a legal activity

Sony's just bullying here, hoping they can sue this kid into the dirt, but they should know they don't have a leg to stand on

Icyedge said:
dsister said:
Icyedge said:

... -__- 

Exactly!

theprof00 said:
Mr Khan said:
markers said:
Mr Khan said:

They are not going to sue people who watched the youtube video. That would be against first amendment rights, and they would lose that case. I don't know why you think Sony's lawyer division is full of retards... oh wait yes I do. You're a hater, and haters gunna hate. :D

Haters gonna hate on episode I, that is certain. But this, now. This is a matter of consumer rights

Mr Khan said:

Did you not read the article? They are getting the IP to demonstrate that Geohot distributed the tools and explanations. Youre obviously not a criminal for watching youtube videos.