By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo in Japan - Is It Dying ?

Gran Turismo in Japan - Is It Dying ?

Yes...unfortunately... 26 35.14%

No...and it never will die ! 16 21.62%

Who cares? GT is a beast in Europe ! 32 43.24%

Total:74

Japan Sales for Gran Turismo main titles:

1997 - Gran Turismo - 2.55 million

1999 & 2001 - Gran Turismo 2 & 3 - 1.7 & 1.9 million ( 750k since last main entry)

2004 - Gran Turismo 4 - 1.26 million ( 550k less than last main entry / 1.3 mio less since first release)

2010 - Gran Turismo 5 - 0.60 million (650k less than last main entry / 1.95 mio less since first release)

So basically if Gran Turismo sales following this trend this will maybe not even sell 150k in Japan in 2015 with Gran Turismo 7. Lets keep in mind that GT5 is still new and will get some more Japan numbers but it will not be a big spectacular number...with consisently selling 2k per week...so lets say maybe 700-800k lifetime.

What do you guys think?is it dying...or will it see a sales reboot in future?If you got any ideas or reasons why the sales are declining so drastically in the "Land of the rising sun" or why Gran Tursimo will never die in Japan just share it with us please!

Around the Network

Console gaming is dying across the board. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

CGI-Quality said:
leatherhat said:

Actually, this gen seems to be one of the strongest we've ever had. All consoles are healthy and above 40 million. That's never happened before.

I meant in Japan

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Its nowhere near as big as it was there which is sad...but the franchise is growing in Europe after every installment

I wouldn't say its dying. I think it just isn't as popular as it used to be in Japan. 

Around the Network
leatherhat said:

Japan seems to be all about the handhelds now so GT isn't the only franchise that will suffer this fate.

If you think that's bad, just wait till next gen.

That goes for everything non-handheld videogame-based in Japan, though, unfortunately.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Well, from the numbers you posted it would appear to be so at face value without looking at the other factors.

First, this ain't the PS1 and PS2 generations where Sony was blowing the competition out of the water by margins which the Wii can only dream of. Sure the Wii has quite a margin, but nowhere near the margin the PS1 was dominating the N64 or the PS2 was dominating the Gamecube.

So with a smaller market share, you would expect a drop in numbers. This has occurred.

Second, demographics. Paul Krugman and other famous economists have written enough columns to fill books about "Japan's impending, inevitable, irreversible CRASH," I will just direct you to the CIA World Factbook entry on Japan:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ja.html

Lets see the demographics of Japan:

Over 20% of the population retired? Yes.

Declining population growth rate? Yes.

Higher death rate than birth rate? Yes.

A high life expectancy to drag down the incomes and heap loads of stress on the working population? Yes.

196.4% debt compared to GDP? Yes.

From a demographics perspective, Japan is a very long timebomb. I would consider it more like a 30 to 50 year implosion rather than an explosion which was Greece and Ireland. Things may change for the better. Japan may invent synthetic human androids to boost the working population.

Finally, if the US economy is down, Japan's economy is down. The US is Japan's biggest trading partner. Furthermore, with Japan having next to zilch in natural resources their relationships with trading partners is one like the GED wife who is married to the millionaire. She needs him way more than he would ever need her. Better make sure your ass doesn't get too fat if you know what I am saying.

I would not say Gran Turismo is dying per se, I think Japan is on it's way down. You had the title wrong in my opinion.

Killiana1a said:

their relationships with trading partners is one like the GED wife who is married to the millionaire. She needs him way more than he would ever need her. Better make sure your ass doesn't get too fat if you know what I am saying.

roflol that was so fucking funny. water came out my noise

Killiana1a said:

Well, from the numbers you posted it would appear to be so at face value without looking at the other factors.

First, this ain't the PS1 and PS2 generations where Sony was blowing the competition out of the water by margins which the Wii can only dream of. Sure the Wii has quite a margin, but nowhere near the margin the PS1 was dominating the N64 or the PS2 was dominating the Gamecube.

So with a smaller market share, you would expect a drop in numbers. This has occurred.

Second, demographics. Paul Krugman and other famous economists have written enough columns to fill books about "Japan's impending, inevitable, irreversible CRASH," I will just direct you to the CIA World Factbook entry on Japan:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ja.html

Lets see the demographics of Japan:

Over 20% of the population retired? Yes.

Declining population growth rate? Yes.

Higher death rate than birth rate? Yes.

A high life expectancy to drag down the incomes and heap loads of stress on the working population? Yes.

196.4% debt compared to GDP? Yes.

From a demographics perspective, Japan is a very long timebomb. I would consider it more like a 30 to 50 year implosion rather than an explosion which was Greece and Ireland. Things may change for the better. Japan may invent synthetic human androids to boost the working population.

Finally, if the US economy is down, Japan's economy is down. The US is Japan's biggest trading partner. Furthermore, with Japan having next to zilch in natural resources their relationships with trading partners is one like the GED wife who is married to the millionaire. She needs him way more than he would ever need her. Better make sure your ass doesn't get too fat if you know what I am saying.

I would not say Gran Turismo is dying per se, I think Japan is on it's way down. You had the title wrong in my opinion.

Very good insight about what's going on over in Japan.  My cousin who's lived there the past 6 years told me similar things when I went to visit him last year.  The working class is working longer hours than ever before, which contributes to couples having less and less children, causing the population growth rate to be at its lowest in decades.  The government is so concerned about this that they're offering couples somthing like 400,000 yen to have children to try to jumpstart the decreasing birthrate.