By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

tensen1212 said:

People actually gave money to that guy?

Yh even some "a horrible thig which i will not say" members on this site gave hime money. Makes me sick to be honest.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
Xbbjf9s said:

question, can sony just make a new console with better security? like ms did.

I don't know there. If they did, it would not be backwards compatible, since the old system relies on the master keys for publishing.

This is why I think more needs to be done on the server side, where they still have the capability to control this.

fordy said:
Xbbjf9s said:

I don't know there. If they did, it would not be backwards compatible, since the old system relies on the master keys for publishing.

This is why I think more needs to be done on the server side, where they still have the capability to control this.

????the new models aren't backwards compatible.

hehey said:

2) you and GEOhot and whoever else can say you dont condone piracy or cheating or whatever, but all tahts come from GEOhots hacker ways IS cheating or piracy, and its not teh first either, when he hacked the Iphone you know what came from taht?, piracy tahts what. Sony didnt open the door, GEOhot and other like him opened the door, anmd he should take responsibility for hisw actions.

3) Hackers are their enablers, let me ask you, where is this "Homebrew" they are always going on about?, where is "Linux support" aka their whole justification, all thats come as a result of these assholes hacking PS3 is cheating and people messing with PSN, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE.

2. Geohot's firmware blocked playing back-ups. It's not his fault if people take advantage of what he put out. Why not go after them instead of Geo?

3. I've already posted links to a couple of lists with all the homebrew on it. And same with Linux. I've already stated that it is back. 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Xbbjf9s said:

I think he means with the games already released on the PS3. As they all take the masterkey to work. Since the hackers already have that hacking the new PS3s would be simple as pie. So to prevent piracy Sony would have to block the mastey key, in effect blocking all the games that are already out on the Playstation 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Around the Network
hehey said:
fordy said:

1) It only took hackers years because they weren't looking. However, once they started after the OtherOS capability was taken away, it didn't take them long. Sony had a major hole in it's security where the random seed generator returned the same number each time. Sony literally opened the door for them to take the key.

2) Once again, read my previous post. I am all for banning from PSN. Sony needs to pursue it more. If hacks are indeed made to change PSN account details, then Sony can fix those. It's a server security issue, which is theirs to begin with. I do not condone piracy or cheating.

3) Keep in mind that hackers do NOT always mean they are pirates or cheaters. Hackers also add homebrew functionality. What if a hacker added PS2 backward compatibility for PS3 systems for people to use?

1) Justifies nothing, and OtherOS was taken away cause hackers were using it to help them hack.

2) you and GEOhot and whoever else can say you dont condone piracy or cheating or whatever, but all tahts come from GEOhots hacker ways IS cheating or piracy, and its not teh first either, when he hacked the Iphone you know what came from taht?, piracy tahts what. Sony didnt open the door, GEOhot and other like him opened the door, anmd he should take responsibility for hisw actions.

3) Hackers are their enablers, let me ask you, where is this "Homebrew" they are always going on about?, where is "Linux support" aka their whole justification, all thats come as a result of these assholes hacking PS3 is cheating and people messing with PSN, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE.

i suppose taht when GEOhot hacks the Xperia Play like he promised he would and the the pirates and cheaters come youl be here defending him too huh?, cause he doesnt condone it?, hes an anabler and he deserves whatever it that Sony does to him at court, which i hope hurts him very badly.

1. This was a bad move on Sony's part. If you read the news, fail0verflow, who was responsible for finding the PS3 master key, only started searching after OtherOS was taken away. Had they worked on enforcing security around the hypervisor drivers instead of removing otherOS altogether, they could have kept the OtherOS functionality and kept it secure.

2. You know what also came from hacking the iPhone? The ability to change your carrier so it's not locked onto one phone carrier that charges massive fees. You do have to take the bad with the good, but that doesn't mean you should punish the good because of the bad.

3. The Linux support is already available via custom firmware. And homebrew takes time to develop. They cannot just snap their fingers and make it appear. In a few more months, there should be signs of some beneficial software out there.

You need to relax here. Sony aren't going to just sit by with a gaping hole and whine about it. It will get fixed, they just want more control of your system to come from this. Once again, client-side control is a losing battle for Sony and they should stop pursuing it. Server-side control is where they should be focused at keeping pirates/cheaters out.

I am glad to hear that this guy is not going to have to foot his legal bills all by himself.  He is 100% right that hacking is not nor will it ever be illegal.  Sony is trying to use strong arm tactics because they know they don't have a chance in hell of winning a court case.

Apple tried the same thing with jailbreaking iphones last year and fell flat on thier face.

Hacking does not equal pirating

If Sony feels so strongly about people hacking the PS3 they are welcome to take their take their products off the shelf.

dsister said:
hehey said:

2. Geohot's firmware blocked playing back-ups. It's not his fault if people take advantage of what he put out. Why not go after them instead of Geo?

Cause GEO is the source, if not for him and failoverflow or whatever they are called this wouldnt be an issue, they are responsible.

fordy said:
hehey said:
fordy said:

1) It only took hackers years because they weren't looking. However, once they started after the OtherOS capability was taken away, it didn't take them long. Sony had a major hole in it's security where the random seed generator returned the same number each time. Sony literally opened the door for them to take the key.

2) Once again, read my previous post. I am all for banning from PSN. Sony needs to pursue it more. If hacks are indeed made to change PSN account details, then Sony can fix those. It's a server security issue, which is theirs to begin with. I do not condone piracy or cheating.

3) Keep in mind that hackers do NOT always mean they are pirates or cheaters. Hackers also add homebrew functionality. What if a hacker added PS2 backward compatibility for PS3 systems for people to use?

1) Justifies nothing, and OtherOS was taken away cause hackers were using it to help them hack.

i suppose taht when GEOhot hacks the Xperia Play like he promised he would and the the pirates and cheaters come youl be here defending him too huh?, cause he doesnt condone it?, hes an anabler and he deserves whatever it that Sony does to him at court, which i hope hurts him very badly.

2. You know what also came from hacking the iPhone? The ability to change your carrier so it's not locked onto one phone carrier that charges massive fees. You do have to take the bad with the good, but that doesn't mean you should punish the good because of the bad.

You need to relax here. Sony aren't going to just sit by with a gaping hole and whine about it. It will get fixed, they just want more control of your system to come from this. Once again, client-side control is a losing battle for Sony and they should stop pursuing it. Server-side control is where they should be focused at keeping pirates/cheaters out.

2), the people who should be punished for the bad are those hackers who enabled it, aka GEOhot included.

Sony should do whatever it takes.

Xbbjf9s said:
fordy said:
Xbbjf9s said:

It depends on the situation. I don't think the 360 has it's master keys stolen, people just moved around the security there. Once a master key is made public, the only way to fix it is with a new iteration of hardware (ie. a new gen)