By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Hobbit finally gets the green light, with Jackson on board!

LeeAdama said:
makingmusic476 said:
Dolla Dolla said:

I'm so happy ...

I've seen the press release from the hobbit blog, and they aren't splitting the Hobbit up. Supposedly, it is a sequel to the Hobbit that occurs before LOTR.

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.” New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

But what could the sequel be?

Several things:

Phillepa Boyens' and Fran Walsh's extension of the story of how Aragorn and Arwen met and fell in love, which will be fleshed out. It gets about 2 paragraphs in the appendices of RotK. The chicks will eat it up.

The White Council's fight against the Necromancer (actually Sauron) at Dol Guldur, assuming that Christopher Lee is still alive and can play Saruman once filming gets going on it. Actually, I hugely anticipate this plotline (if it happens.) Would be great to see Saruman the White as a bad-ass good guy before the lust for the Ring poisoned him (though still proud and haughty, as that is also part of his downfall.)

Frodo's birth and adoption.

Gandalf and Aragorn's pursuit of Gollum into Mirkwood.

Possibly some goings-on in Rohan and Gondor (Aragorn fought in the wars with Thengel, Theoden's father, and Gandalf visited Denethor and the boys fairly often back in the old days.)

There's enough there for a pretty good prequel if Peter, Fran, and Phillepa don't do anything silly.

I'm concerned about what would be done with an "interlude" movie as well, but your post reminded me of a lot of things that were mentioned in passing in the books but not really fleshed out. 

If it is done correctly, it just *may* work.  If anyone can do it, Peter Jackson can.

Around the Network

Actually, if memory serves, I think Aragorn fought for Gondor at one time too. That is, long before the events of LotR. I'd have to dust off the timeline appendix to RotK and look it up to be sure.

So say we all, yo.

Awesome. That Dwarves/Elves/Humans/Orcs/Eagles battle should be pretty cool to watch.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

LeeAdama said:
Actually, if memory serves, I think Aragorn fought for Gondor at one time too. That is, long before the events of LotR. I'd have to dust off the timeline appendix to RotK and look it up to be sure.
Don't forget about the good 'ol Silmarillion

Peter Jackson is in a useless position and I'm bitterly disappointed.

He should be director.

Around the Network
Rath said:
Peter Jackson is in a useless position and I'm bitterly disappointed.

He should be director.
Oh crap - I missed that part....if he's not directing the movie could easily be made of massive fail.

With PJ as producer, it's fairly likely that they'll be able to get much, if not all of the team back from Weta, as well as Alan Lee, et. al. With this in mind, PJ's absence from the director's chair might be barely noticable, especially if Guillermo Del Toro gets it (heavily rumored.) Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy weren't without their flaws, but I think with the support Del Toro would get from the LotR production team, it could work very well.

The Hobbit is such a different type of story from LotR, it might be nice to see it told with a lighter touch, while keeping the feel of the world intact. Which would totally happen if enough of the production team comes back. Also keep in mind when you're talking about Peter Jackson, you're not just talking about him by himself. Fran and Phileppa go everywhere he goes (particularly Fran.) It's like a 3-for1.

It's a gamble, but it's better than, say, Jerry Bruckheimer producing and Stephen Sommers directing (shudders).

So say we all, yo.