By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Financial Results for Oct-Dec 2010

Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:

Incorrect, VGC has the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 4.2 million units, shipment data does not match that.

As has been explained several times, where are those consoles? VGC matches the other tracking firms, and they can't put the consoles in the void. They are probably in very hard to track countries.

You really want me to tell you where those consoles are? Either way that's a very poor explanation. VGC uses a formula to calculate sales, obviously they're not accounting for all regions. Manufacturers must report total shipment numbers and cannot lie on those numbers. Bottom line, VGC numbers are off.

So VGC should create a "We don't know where" or "Atlantis" to place those consoles? It's more important to you the epeen than the fidelity of the numbers?

Accuracy should be important and imperative, but apparently you prefer inaccurate numbers due to some kind of agenda.

No, what I'm saying is that VGC is accurate with all the tracking firms out there. Trying to appease fans is not the way VGC should operate, they should try to reach the most accurate numbers with the data they have. I think that the numbers should be accurate region by region, and you think the numbers should mimic the shipment numbers, to please Sony fans. That's all.

Shipment numbers are accurate, meaning if VG chartz was accurate they would be consistent with Sony's (and MSes and Nintendo's) shipment numbers, trying to be accurate in every single region is just stupid if you don't have accurate sources in the region, more accurate to make an overall estimate 

Around the Network

360 and PS3 had matching shipment numbers for the quarter. Seems a lot of people skip over that line when screaming for adjustments. Both companies have units floating around the channels. Either way if both companies sold through the shipments no one would gain ground. Theres no need for adjustments.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:

360 and PS3 had matching shipment numbers for the quarter. Seems a lot of people skip over that line when screaming for adjustments. Both companies have units floating around the channels. Either way if both companies sold through the shipments no one would gain ground. Theres no need for adjustments.

Last time I checked vgs numbers 360 sold through more then it shipped that seems to be needed adjustment 

fallen said:

Toyota lied about life and death matters relating to it's accelrator issues, and it was proved. You're telling me Sony cant lie about ship numbers that nobody besides a few message board junkies even care about?

Who would even investigate that? "Oh hi FTC, I want you to investigate Sony, a Japanese company with internal documents written in a foriegn language you cant understand, about their unimportant console ship numbers!!!"

FTC: " Are you crazy?"

Again look at Toyota, they were very good at stonewalling US investigators about life or death accelerator documents. Forget ever getting to the bottom of meaningless Sony console ship numbers, even if somebody asked, which nobody EVER will.

Sony ship numbers always have seemed suspisciously high, for PSP and PS2 also. This quarter wasnt too bad on PS3, but still high compared to all recorded sales (which we know with certainty from NPD, Media Create, and Nintendo's Europe sales charts from gfk) and we also know from companies like EA fiscal reports that regions outside the USA and Europe account for very little software sales (for EA they were 5% others, North America 50%, Europe 45%)

Oh great, the Sony lies and stuffs the channel excuses have already started.  Why do we have to put up with this every quarter for Sony, but everyone believes Nintendo and MS's numbers?  You know since Sony just makes up numbers and is in competition for secodn with MS, why haven't they just stated shipped was past MS's just so they could already be ahead?  I'll tell you, they aren't lying.

bluthunder said:

I found xbox and wii numbers, xbox and ps3 shipped the same

WII HW - 8.75m (84.64m)
XBX HW - 6.3m (50.9m)
PS3 HW - 6.3m (47.9m)

wait.....

so with the Kinect/360 slim effect, the 360 only shipped the same as the PS3 ??

I remember that before the release of Kinect, some 360 fanboys were saying that Kinect will make the 360 overtake the Wii in lifetime World Wide sales, and I thought they were just totally retarded

well obviously, Kinect is not as big as everyone was saying it was.  It was strong in NA, but was DOA in Japan, and is weak in EMEAA.  Just look at the PS3 hardware this week in EMEAA, compared to 360

the PS3 has great strength now in the EMEAA, partly because it's available in many more countries than the 360, and that strength will continue as some of the PS2 owners in those countries switch to PS3.

and another thing, for those 360 fanboys who were expecting the 360 to overtake the Wii in WW hardware, the Wii had success because the Wii was very strong in all regions, not just in the Americas.

Plus because of the 360 shortages in the U.S.A. , I suspect Kinect will lose some of the momentum it had during the holidays in Americas.

Anyways, I hate motion gaming, I hate Move, Kinect and the Wii.  Unfortunately the Wii was a huge success, but I didn't think lightning would strike twice with Kinect, and I highly suspect that in a few months Kinect will have been seen as a fad, after the momentum fades....

Around the Network

$564 million in NPS operating income?

Yay!!!

"Sony says declining game business revenue led to the decline in revenue for the division, partly on the Yen."

D'oh!

DarkintheLight said:

Last time I checked vgs numbers 360 sold through more then it shipped that seems to be needed adjustment 

360 was already adjusted down sometime last week or the week before. Can't recall which. It's also having stock issues according to MS themselves, so It's not getting adjusted.

It's just that simple.

ElGranCabeza said:
D-Joe said:
makingmusic476 said:
kingofwale said:
bluthunder said:

PS3 HW - 6.3m
PSP HW - 3.6m
PS2 HW - 2.1m

PS3 SW - 57.6m
PSP SW - 16.5m
PS2 SW - 5.3m

6.3 million shipped vs thesource's prediction of 6 million shipped (OP post)

looks like an adjustment is soon to follow, again

It's a mere 5% difference.  Not much reason to adjust.

right,i check last 3 month VGC,no need to adjustment(well thats because already adjusted last week)

Incorrect, VGC has the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 4.2 million units, shipment data does not match that.

Xbox 360 shipments are all sold. supply was gone as soon as it hit the shelf. Ps3's are all over sitting on shelfs. so that number sould be correct.

MonstaMack said:
DarkintheLight said:

360 was already adjusted down sometime last week or the week before. Can't recall which. It's also having stock issues according to MS themselves, so It's not getting adjusted.

Not only that but the numbers have another month of sales.

DarkintheLight said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:

As has been explained several times, where are those consoles? VGC matches the other tracking firms, and they can't put the consoles in the void. They are probably in very hard to track countries.

You really want me to tell you where those consoles are? Either way that's a very poor explanation. VGC uses a formula to calculate sales, obviously they're not accounting for all regions. Manufacturers must report total shipment numbers and cannot lie on those numbers. Bottom line, VGC numbers are off.

So VGC should create a "We don't know where" or "Atlantis" to place those consoles? It's more important to you the epeen than the fidelity of the numbers?

Accuracy should be important and imperative, but apparently you prefer inaccurate numbers due to some kind of agenda.

No, what I'm saying is that VGC is accurate with all the tracking firms out there. Trying to appease fans is not the way VGC should operate, they should try to reach the most accurate numbers with the data they have. I think that the numbers should be accurate region by region, and you think the numbers should mimic the shipment numbers, to please Sony fans. That's all.

Shipment numbers are accurate, meaning if VG chartz was accurate they would be consistent with Sony's (and MSes and Nintendo's) shipment numbers, trying to be accurate in every single region is just stupid if you don't have accurate sources in the region, more accurate to make an overall estimate 

There are a lot more ps3's on the shelfs then xbox's. So that means there where more xbox's sold because they where out of stock everywhere. I had to drive to hours to get a xbox before christmas. all the while ps3's where all over the place.

SO THE NUMBERS ARE RIGHT.

PS3'S ON SHELF = NOT SOLD.

XBOX 360 OFF THE SHELFS AND NO WHERE TO BE FOUND = SOLD

GET IT.