By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Financial Results for Oct-Dec 2010

Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:

Incorrect, VGC has the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 4.2 million units, shipment data does not match that.

As has been explained several times, where are those consoles? VGC matches the other tracking firms, and they can't put the consoles in the void. They are probably in very hard to track countries.

You really want me to tell you where those consoles are? Either way that's a very poor explanation. VGC uses a formula to calculate sales, obviously they're not accounting for all regions. Manufacturers must report total shipment numbers and cannot lie on those numbers. Bottom line, VGC numbers are off.

So VGC should create a "We don't know where" or "Atlantis" to place those consoles? It's more important to you the epeen than the fidelity of the numbers?

Accuracy should be important and imperative, but apparently you prefer inaccurate numbers due to some kind of agenda.

Around the Network

Werent there threads on Vgchartz after Sep numbers from overexited Sony fans predicting PS3 would pass 360 in Dec quarter in WW shipments???

I should bump those now hehe

Guys give theSource a break. At least he guessed the PS3 shipment almost correctly which is lot more than can be said about x360 and Wii shipments  and a huge improvement over Q2 shipments.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

so vgchartz numbers have to be adjusted right? I mean sony has 360 at 50.9 and ps3 at 47.9 thats a 3 million gap, why does vg have it at a 4.2 million gap.

TheSource said:

Article is up. http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/gfadmin/update-post.php?story=83896&updated=1

I disagree that PS3 can easily hit 2.8m in Q1 2011 by the way. Japan is down a fair bit in the quarter so far (14% drop from Jan 2010 to Jan 2011), I'm expecting the Americas to be down too. Sony only shipped 2.2m in Q1 2010 and that was with the price cut closer to the time frame and in my opinion bigger games - God of War III (March), FFXIII (March). 

Also, Dec 2010 quarter (6.3m) was down from Dec 2009 quarter (6.5m) for PS3 on weaker Japan / USA sales - I see no reason to expect that not to continue in Q1 2011. PS3 shipments should easily beat FY 3/2010 anyway - 14.2m to 13m - but 15m is a bit ambitious given the most recent trends. On the other hand, PS2 should be around 6.5m, not the 6m Sony projects. The main thing with PS3 is its been down since it lapped the PS3 Slim / PS3 at $300 price point in the USA and Japan and that won't change without a price cut.

Q1 2011 will probably be 2.3m Wii / 2m PS3 / 2m X360 for shipments.

They also had well reported shortages last year in the US. 2.9m Wii/ 2.5m PS3s/2.7m X360

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:

Incorrect, VGC has the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 4.2 million units, shipment data does not match that.

As has been explained several times, where are those consoles? VGC matches the other tracking firms, and they can't put the consoles in the void. They are probably in very hard to track countries.

You really want me to tell you where those consoles are? Either way that's a very poor explanation. VGC uses a formula to calculate sales, obviously they're not accounting for all regions. Manufacturers must report total shipment numbers and cannot lie on those numbers. Bottom line, VGC numbers are off.

So VGC should create a "We don't know where" or "Atlantis" to place those consoles? It's more important to you the epeen than the fidelity of the numbers?

Accuracy should be important and imperative, but apparently you prefer inaccurate numbers due to some kind of agenda.

No, what I'm saying is that VGC is accurate with all the tracking firms out there. Trying to appease fans is not the way VGC should operate, they should try to reach the most accurate numbers with the data they have. I think that the numbers should be accurate region by region, and you think the numbers should mimic the shipment numbers, to please Sony fans. That's all.

Dark_Feanor said:
D-Joe said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

So ps3 may overtake 360 this year?

hard to say

i think first half of 2011 will be the key moment

And will be for 360/Kinect. 

We wont see any big changing trend till 3thQ after E3.

Move was a failure. It can hold Europe and Japan for a little longer duo the Wii saturation, but the PS3 momentum was 2009/2010 in NA.

How was move a failure? It sold more then Sony expected it to and they barely advertised it's supposed to be a slow burn and still has tons of games coming 

ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
D-Joe said:
makingmusic476 said:
kingofwale said:
bluthunder said:

PS3 HW - 6.3m
PSP HW - 3.6m
PS2 HW - 2.1m

PS3 SW - 57.6m
PSP SW - 16.5m
PS2 SW - 5.3m

6.3 million shipped vs thesource's prediction of 6 million shipped (OP post)

looks like an adjustment is soon to follow, again

It's a mere 5% difference.  Not much reason to adjust.

right,i check last 3 month VGC,no need to adjustment(well thats because already adjusted last week)

Toyota lied about life and death matters relating to it's accelrator issues, and it was proved. You're telling me Sony cant lie about ship numbers that nobody besides a few message board junkies even care about?

Who would even investigate that? "Oh hi FTC, I want you to investigate Sony, a Japanese company with internal documents written in a foriegn language you cant understand, about their unimportant console ship numbers!!!"

FTC: " Are you crazy?"

Again look at Toyota, they were very good at stonewalling US investigators about life or death accelerator documents. Forget ever getting to the bottom of meaningless Sony console ship numbers, even if somebody asked, which nobody EVER will.

Sony ship numbers always have seemed suspisciously high, for PSP and PS2 also. This quarter wasnt too bad on PS3, but still high compared to all recorded sales (which we know with certainty from NPD, Media Create, and Nintendo's Europe sales charts from gfk) and we also know from companies like EA fiscal reports that regions outside the USA and Europe account for very little software sales (for EA they were 5% others, North America 50%, Europe 45%)

fallen said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
D-Joe said:
makingmusic476 said:
kingofwale said:
bluthunder said:

PS3 HW - 6.3m
PSP HW - 3.6m
PS2 HW - 2.1m

PS3 SW - 57.6m
PSP SW - 16.5m
PS2 SW - 5.3m

6.3 million shipped vs thesource's prediction of 6 million shipped (OP post)

looks like an adjustment is soon to follow, again

It's a mere 5% difference.  Not much reason to adjust.

right,i check last 3 month VGC,no need to adjustment(well thats because already adjusted last week)

Toyota lied about life and death matters relating to it's accelrator issues, and it was proved. You're telling me Sony cant lie about ship numbers that nobody besides a few message board junkies even care about?

Who would even investigate that? "Oh hi FTC, I want you to investigate Sony, a Japanese company with internal documents written in a foriegn language you cant understand, about their unimportant console ship numbers!!!"

Again look at Toyota, they were very good at stonewalling US investigators about life or death accelerator documents. Forget ever getting to the bottom of meaningless Sony console ship numbers, even if somebody asked, which nobody EVER will.

Sony ship numbers always have seemed suspisciously high, for PSP and PS2 also. This quarter wasnt too bad on PS3, but still high compared to all recorded sales (which we know with certainty from NPD, Media Create, and Nintendo's Europe sales charts from gfk) and we also know from companies like EA fiscal reports that regions outside the USA and Europe account for very little software sales (for EA they were 5% others, North America 50%, Europe 45%)

who would investigate that? basically stockholders, investors, etc. 

fallen said:

Buhahahhahahha :D man I love these threads..they bring out the best posts

I'm surprised you didn't realize the problem with your argument of comparing Toyota to Sony as you typed it

OT: good numbers :) as expected..shipments will eventually sell out unless there's a major recall or something..so the shortened shipment gap is a good sign for Sony

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!