By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo sees strong DS sales, frowns on Wii bundles

"Retailers have already been given feedback that we are not big fans of that. We think it masks some of the price advantage we have versus our competition and, frankly, the consumer should decide what they want," Fils-Aime said.

Asked if Nintendo had threatened such retailers with fewer Wii shipments, Fils-Aime said only that the company carried a lot of weight as maker of one of the most highly sought items this holiday.

"We don't have to remind retailers of the strength we have right now. We are simply making an observation and that reinforces our point quite nicely with retailers," Fils-Aime said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/17/AR2007121701752.html 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

*cough* Game / Gamestation UK with their Wii bundles + crap games and inflated prices.

especially the retailers that ditched them during the GCN era

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Good PR move, most people hate bundles.

Hell some of the $630 bundles on Walmart's website offer a grand total savings of like $3.50!!! Sorry but nobody out there is willing to save $3.50 on a bundle when it means giving up absolute freedom to pick and choose what you want.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I think retailers would shit their pants if Nintendo threatened to reduce their shipments because of bundling. Let's face it, Nintendo has no problems selling Wii's. Would you risk angering the company making the hottest selling product right now.

Reggie: So I've heard you've been bundling?

Retailer: No, no sir. I mean er it won't happen again.

Around the Network

Nice smooth talk. I guess Jack Tretton would have answered to the question: "Of course we pressure and threaten them, as we are the ubergods of multimedia markets/ gaming. Especially thos b%&$es from Walmart can stick it up their nether parts with the sh&t they are selling alongside our system. Anyways, I never liked their boss in any case."

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Astrodust said:
I think retailers would shit their pants if Nintendo threatened to reduce their shipments because of bundling. Let's face it, Nintendo has no problems selling Wii's. Would you risk angering the company making the hottest selling product right now.

Reggie: So I've heard you've been bundling?

Retailer: No, no sir. I mean er it won't happen again.

Reggie: See that you do not, Iwata-san is not as forgiving as I am