By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 11 overlooked games of 2011

well learnt about one game I am interested in (Capitan Blood) but whether a few of these are really overlooked...

#11.SOCOM 4

SOCOM may be a popular franchise, but with all the top shooter franchises coming in 2011 SOCOM seems to be the most overlooked. Which is really a same considering the publisher Zipper ability to make high quality competitive multiplayer experience. Zipper's last game MAG was one of the best supported games this gen. If you to compare the at launch to the current MAG being played now, you'll see two completely different games.
    SOCOM 4 itself is a third-person tactical shooter. In the single player you will be playing as commander Cullen Gray, and not only being required to shoot the enemy, but also give tactical orders to the other 4 soldiers in your squad. As Cullen Gray you must lead a fight against a revolutionary group known as the Naga. The multiplayer is where the bread and butter of this game will be, but as of right now details are limited. From what i have heard, the MP will try to keep the tactical aspect of the SP, and will revolve around 32 player maps. 

#10. Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2 is a MP only game being developed by Unknown World Entertainment and is coming to the PC. The gameplay is going to involve a mix of first-person shooting and real-time strategy. In the game you play as either the marine Frontiersmen or the alien Kharaa. A commander does the usual RTS thing by building structures, collect resources and research upgrades. The marines buy armor and weapon upgrades. The Kharaa upgrade their chambers, evolve special abilities and plant traps. As the aliens "infest" the map, the sections will become deformed, and power failure will cause the lights to go out and shut down th marines power structures. The Marines must push back the infection of the aliens and destroy their base.

#9.Gray Matter

Gray Matter is a point-and-click adventure game being developed by WizarBox for the PC and 360. Gray Matters story revolves around Samantha Everett and Dr. David Styles. Samantha poses as a student from Oxford to become Dr.Styles assistant. She is then tasked with finding six other students to participate in Dr.Styles experiments. She uses her ability as a magician to trick and manipulate the students to join.  Through out the game Samantha discovers Dr.Styles tragic past, and his research into the paranormal.  

#8.Silent Hill: Downpour

Silent Hill is a survival horror franchise a lot of use know and love. The eighth installment is being developed by Vatra Games for the PS3 and 360. With a plot revolving around an escaped prisoner, Murphy Pendleton. Ofcourse he will be making his way through the always eerie town of Silent Hill. I can see why Downpor isn't that high many top list, but i am hoping to a return to greatness for this once great franchise.

#7.Captain Blood

Captain Blood is an action-adventure game being developed by SeaWolf for the PC and 360. Gameplay will feature missions with the player fighting on both land and sea. The ship to ship missions will not only allowe for the sword play, but the player can use the ships cannon to shoot at other ships.  The sword play looks to be over top bloody and stylized. It seems like each mission will end with a boss batle against powerful and unique characters.

#6.Darkspore

Darkspore is a "fast-paces, sci-fi Action-RPG" being developed by Maxis Software for the PC and Mac. Dark spore to be a mix of Spore and Diablo in a sci-fi setting. Maxis looks to be using Spore's deep creation tool set to allow the player to create their characters appearance and abilitys. Actual game play seems to be of the point-and-click Diabl-esque type.  4 player co-op and pvp looks to also play a big role as in the game. 

#5.I Am Alive

I Am Alive is an adventure game developed by Ubisoft Shangai for the PC, PS3, 360, and Wii. You play as Adam who has survived a 10.3 earthquake in Chicago. As Adam you must try your best to survive by finding food and water, while avoiding other civilians who want to steal your supplies, and to hopefully find your girlfriend in the destroyed city of Chicago.
    Gameplay will be in the first-person perspective, and will demand the player to make crucial choices. These choices revolve around running, stealing, protecting, befriending, and attacking or saving NPCs in the game. Doing so will allow Adam to gain access to restricted areas to eventually find his girlfriend.

#4.Catherine

Catherine is a puzzle action-adventure game developed by Atlus for the PS3 and 360. In the game you play as Vincent, who as fallen in love with a women named Katherine, and lust after a women he  recently meet named Catherine. Though after the recent encounter with Catherine, Vincent has begun to have to have nightmares that may cause an end to his life if Vincent is careful. 
    You control Vincent through three different stage types. One stage will have the player managing his relationships between Katherine and Catherine. Another will have Vincent talking to people at a bar, and the final stage is takes place in Vincent's nightmares. In the nightmares Vincent must try to reach the top of a giant staircase. This is accomplished by moving blocks and avoiding traps while sheep try to stop him along the way.

#3.Hard Corps: Uprising

Hard Corps: Uprising is a Contra game developed by Arc System Works for PSN and XBLA.  Hard Corps is the first Contra game without Contra in the title. The hope is for Hard Corps to become its own franchise. You play as Colonel Bahamut fighting against an empire known as the Commonwealth under the reign of Tiberius. Bahamut and other resistance fighter(even more through DLC) join forces to bring down the empire.
    Two game modes are featured in Uprising, Rising and Arcade. In Rising the player collects points to power up their weapons through the level. The player is given a health bar that allows them to take three hits before losing a life. In Arcade mode, you will play in a more traditional Contra style, with only one allowed hit, and no points to collect to purchase the power ups.

#2.Journey

Journey is an adventure platformer by thatgamecompany for PSN. In Journey you are lost in a desert with only a strange mountain/pyramid in the distance, and one with no other instructions you began to wounder towards that distant pyramid. The wandering is broken up through platform and puzzles revolving around the use of cloth to move to higher platforms. In the game you may also run into other players to help one another, or you could simple ignore them and continue your journey solo. Journey like thatgamecompany's other games Flow and Flower, seems to be using a minimal ambient world to create a very beautiful gaming experience. 

#1.El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

El Shaddai is an action game develop by Ignition Entertainment for the PS3 and 360. You play as Enoch, a human who serves as a scribe in heaven. Angels known as Grigori have succumbed to the temptation of Earth and abandon heaven. The Heavenly Council decides to send a great flood to wipe out the Grigori out. Enoch objects to the ruling, and he is allowed to go Earth to capture the Grigori and stop the flood from being released.
    Gameplay is broken up between third-person action and 3D and 2D platforming. Enoch begins weaponless and must disarm the enemy's to gain control of weapons. Once a weapon is attained Enoch must use his power bestowed by God to purify the weapon, so it may be used to send the fallen angels back to Heaven.  

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

I'm interested in SOCOM 4, Gray Matter (though I play these games on PC, I wonder if it has Kinect control?), Silent Hill: Downpour, Darkspore, Catherine, Hard Corps, and Journey.

Keeping an eye on the rest, but not really interested yet.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I think Steel Diver is being underlooked.  It's a new 'hardcore' Nintendo IP based around warfare, Isn't that what loads of people wanted?

And I totally agree with you about Journey, I'm quite hyped for it and I think it deserves a lot more press

MrT-Tar said:

I think Steel Diver is being underlooked.  It's a new 'hardcore' Nintendo IP based around warfare, Isn't that what loads of people wanted?

And I totally agree with you about Journey, I'm quite hyped for it and I think it deserves a lot more press

Dude, that's a 3DS game.

huaxiong90 said:
MrT-Tar said:

Dude, that's a 3DS game.

your point?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

El Shaddai is one of my most anticipated for this year. Art work is amazing.

I think the new SSX is majorly overlooked as well. That franchise was amazing.

zarx said:
huaxiong90 said:
MrT-Tar said:

Dude, that's a 3DS game.

your point?

Because it's part of the launch line-up of a handheld yet to be released. Of course, the majority of the buzz is going to be around the handheld itself rather than the games (in other words, these games rely on word of mouth).

But maybe that's just me.

If it came off as me saying handheld games don't count, then my bad. I should have clarified.

How the hell are they overlooked when they aren't even released?

Galaki said:

How the hell are they overlooked when they aren't even released?

In terms of hype, maybe?

Then again, internet hype isn't everything.