By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Creator Goes Multiplatform on Wii and 3DS

A few months back, Famitsu revealed that Prope, the studio from Sonic the Hedgehog's Yuji Naka, was working with Kadokawa Games on a new title. That title at long last got its reveal in this week's Famitsu.

Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea is a "sky fantasy" game for Wii and 3DS. That's right, our first Wii and 3DS multiplatform release!

Famitsu says that the game is being brought to us by Naka and writer Takumi Miyajima. Miyajima has previously worked on the Tales series and Arc Rise Fantasia.

Rodea is the name of the game's main character. Also introduced in the magazine are characters named Ion and Princess Cecilia.

Gameplay details are a bit scarce at present. The game is described as a "new feel action game." The Wii version will use the Wiimote exclusively. Screenshots in Famitsu show sky-based gameplay, but Famitsu says there will be a variety of stages outside of just the sky.

In an interview with the magazine, Naka describes the game as "a completely new action game with simple controls." Development on the game started in Fall 2009. At that time, the game Naka and his team were working on was cancelled, and he split his team into two to create their next game.

Famitsu seems to have a big look at Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea this week, so expect further details shortly.

More info

A few additional details have surfaced on Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea, the new Wii and 3DS title from Let's Tap and Let's Catch developer Prope.

This game is getting instant attention because of the involvement of Sonic and Nights creator Yuji Naka. He's listed as "executive director."

The magazine has details on the Wii version's control scheme. You use the Wiimote as a pointer. To move somewhere, you point at the location, press B and shake the Wiimote. Your character will fly off in the direction specified. You can continually do this motion to make your character freely fly through the sky.

The A button is for performing actions. You can use it to fire a gun as an attack. You can also do a spinning attack by pointing at objects and enemies and pressing A.

In an interview with the magazine, Naka says that games that allow players to experience free flight through the skies tend to have complicated controls. However, they cleared this problem during Rodea's prototype development phase.

Even though you see the Naka name, Rodea isn't a Sega title, Kadokawa Games is the game's publisher. Naka says that this is a true collaboration with Kadokawa. It's something that Prope would not have been able to do on its own.

Source

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

I just made a thread last week about how I thought that the Wii would receive a lot of cross-ports with the 3DS.  Most people in the thread disagreed with me. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=122344
Well, I now at least have one example favoring my argument lol

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Sounds like the the 3DS can help the Wii to get some third-party....

Now I'm looking forward compare the graphics in both platforms. 

Sounds interesting. I don't expect a masterpiece but that's something I can forgive if the gameplay feels original and fresh.

Gojimaster said:

I just made a thread last week about how I thought that the Wii would receive a lot of cross-ports with the 3DS.  Most people in the thread disagreed with me. 

Well, I now at least have one example favoring my argument lol

It makes more sense that many think. The tech is close, and 3D won't be a necessity for any game. The main difference would be motion controls and greater resolution on the Wii, and the second touch screen for the 3DS.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I've enjoyed both Prope releases on the Wii, Let's Tap and Ivy the Kiwi, so i expect this to be good as well, as well as cheap :)

If the 3DS can help bring more third party games to the Wii, I'm for it.

With the 3DS having similiar graphic power to the Wii I see tons of cross platform games coming in the future much like how PS2 titles were ported to PSP. I also can't wait to see Naka's new title in action I am a major Sonic fan so to see what he has in store will be a dream come true. The real question will be will the 3DS version outsell the Wii version or vice versa. Also with a smaller publisher will they be able to support Naka's game better then Sega could have?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

adsl said:

Sounds like the the 3DS can help the Wii to get some third-party....

Now I'm looking forward compare the graphics in both platforms.

Look on the recent wii game - Battle of Giants - Dinosaur Strike (or smth like this). I think its a good example of 'trash' ubi multi.

The graphics in Wii version slightly worse than usual wii graphics of same type, but its a lot of ingame cuts which will be best viewed in 3D. ;)

I'd give it 4/5 for its effort and showing how wii/3DS multi can look...

good to here, I wonder what other 3DS-Wii multiplats we will see