By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision may close PlayStation Network Black Ops servers

Haha, will never happen. My bet is this guy is in deep shit for getting into this dialogue with a BLOGGER and offering him a 360 version in exchange for his PS3 version and then threatening that the servers are going kablamo.

Retraction will be out by the end of the week, probably from Kotick or someone with some pull.

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

Just for the info, the ping never remains static. It is basically the measure of lag between your PC and another PC. The farther the PC you are trying to connect, the higher your ping. So if you are playing call of duty and person from japan is a host and you are in US, you will lag since your connection would suck at that much distance. If you are the host, then your ping is zero, and you experience a game that's as good as a LAN game.

Well, that's not that hard to solve considering you can set the matchmaking so it searches for matches near you.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

mantlepiecek said:
huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:

The connection speed hardly matters in games, what matters is the quality of the connection, or as some people call it: ping.

If you have a bad ping but a 40 mb connection, you will still lag. Which is why dedicated servers are so awesome because they have awesome connection and act as a host does in a P2P match, which means no more host advantage or severe location disadvantages. Also all major processing is done in the server itself, so it reduces the lag even more.

In the case of dedicated servers, the only way you can lag is because of your connection or some glitch. Or if the dedicated servers aren't that good.

Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 were pretty much lag free.

Maybe they had good dedicated servers. Resistance 2 definitely had good servers, I played it, it had zero lag, I was quite impressed actually.

Demon's Souls on the other hand....well, not that much.

I haven't encountered any Black Phantoms, nor have I called for help/helped another player to know about that.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Baalzamon said:
mantlepiecek said:

Just for the info, the ping never remains static. It is basically the measure of lag between your PC and another PC. The farther the PC you are trying to connect, the higher your ping. So if you are playing call of duty and person from japan is a host and you are in US, you will lag since your connection would suck at that much distance. If you are the host, then your ping is zero, and you experience a game that's as good as a LAN game.

Well, that's not that hard to solve considering you can set the matchmaking so it searches for matches near you.

You can't really find matches all the time. For a popular game like call of duty, it might not be a problem, but for games like resistance 2, it could have been.

And, you forget that the host has zero lag. That's unfair. 

The bottom line is, even with a shitty connection, you can play games with minimal lag if you play on dedicated servers no matter the distance. With p2p, you have to hope that the host has a good connection, and if he disconnects, then you hope that another person in the lobby has a good connection or you get elected as a host so that you don't suffer. 

huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:
huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:

The connection speed hardly matters in games, what matters is the quality of the connection, or as some people call it: ping.

If you have a bad ping but a 40 mb connection, you will still lag. Which is why dedicated servers are so awesome because they have awesome connection and act as a host does in a P2P match, which means no more host advantage or severe location disadvantages. Also all major processing is done in the server itself, so it reduces the lag even more.

In the case of dedicated servers, the only way you can lag is because of your connection or some glitch. Or if the dedicated servers aren't that good.

Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 were pretty much lag free.

Maybe they had good dedicated servers. Resistance 2 definitely had good servers, I played it, it had zero lag, I was quite impressed actually.

Demon's Souls on the other hand....well, not that much.

I haven't encountered any Black Phantoms, nor have I called for help/helped another player to know about that.

You are one lucky person. Did you play the game online? While signed into your PSN ID?

In co-op play there isn't much lag, its only when your fighting black phantoms.

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

You are one lucky person. Did you play the game online? While signed into your PSN ID?

Yeah, I do, but keep in mind, I stay in soul form almost all the time, and purposely. I just played online because I wanted to see the bloodstains and messages. Also, I want to fight the bosses themselves, not some overpowered Black Phantom instead (mainly because I just want to finish the game, as progress has been slow in the past months). So far though, I've yet to lose to a single boss. Nearly got wasted by the Flamelurker.

huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Yeah, I do, but keep in mind, I stay in soul form almost all the time, and purposely. I just played online because I wanted to see the bloodstains and messages. Also, I want to fight the bosses themselves, not some overpowered Black Phantom instead (mainly because I just want to finish the game, as progress has been slow in the past months). So far though, I've yet to lose to a single boss. Nearly got wasted by the Flamelurker.

How many bosses have you defeated yet? And is it your first time through Demons' Souls?

mantlepiecek said:
huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:

How many bosses have you defeated yet? And is it your first time through Demons' Souls?

Yeah. So far, I'm about to face the Dragon God. I've mostly been farming stats and just exploring secrets.

Mainly trying to figure a way to kill off the two dragons in the Boletaria Palace without resorting to the long way out.

huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:
huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Yeah. So far, I'm about to face the Dragon God. I've mostly been farming stats and just exploring secrets.

Mainly trying to figure a way to kill off the two dragons in the Boletaria Palace without resorting to the long way out.

If you are too early in the game, then the black phantoms won't be that much of a problem. But, they will once you reach the appropriate level/archstone. I have never faced any problems from black phantoms in the stonefag tunnel in my two playthroughs.

But if you stay in soul form, then there's nothing they can do. 

mantlepiecek said:

If you are too early in the game, then the black phantoms won't be that much of a problem. But, they will once you reach the appropriate level/archstone. I have never faced any problems from black phantoms in the stonefag tunnel in my two playthroughs.

But if you stay in soul form, then there's nothing they can do. 

Those guys were easy.

But my worry is for super-experienced players to come in and take me down just like that.