By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Acclaimed games that bomb in sales?

I'm taking a college English class on video games.   I would love to do a project comparing the ratio of Metacritic scores to sales figures, to find the games that have sold the very worst in proportion to their critical acclaim.  But I'm having a hard time finding data for low sellers.   I'll share the results of my project if I can figure out how to get data for low sellers.  Any preliminary nominations for most acclaimed but worst selling?

One of the games we will be studying is Ico, which is regarded by many as a poster child for an "art" game that triumphed in reviews but sold horribly.  Now, I've done a bit of research to determine when exactly Ico's poor sales were first reported, but I can't find a single definitive source.  The game was reported far and wide as a sales failure within a year of its launch.  Ico is listed on this site as selling 0.00 million, which seems to indicate either a) Ico sold less than 10,000 copies, or b) the data is unavailable. Are some of these games, like Ico, just too low in sales to get any kind of accurate estimate?  And if I wanted to be really hardcore about getting this data, how could it be done?

Around the Network

Okami comes to my mind...Zack and wicky recently....Both Capcom games, seems they don't have luck...

1   2   3  not only you and me.

Livin' in sin is the new thing.

A game called Dark Mirror for PSP, I read that it was a very fine game, I think now has been ported to PS2

1   2   3  not only you and me.

Livin' in sin is the new thing.

solracbrit said:
Okami comes to my mind...Zack and wicky recently....Both Capcom games, seems they don't have luck...

I second that. Also, what about Shadow od Colossus, Team Icos second project? How did that do?

Maybe that rare game on X360....cant remember right now. The cute one. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Jeanne D'arc

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

Okami...:(

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

also, Beyond Good and Evil and Eternal Darkness

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

My first response was going to be mass effect, but then I remembered VG chartz is just being idiotic. But really, I am going to have to say Metroid Prime 3 should have gotten much more popular than it did, along with that, The Orange Box was an amazing game that deserved far more attention than it got.

Predictions for 2008, I'll leave 'em untouched all year.

Being a little hopeful on the PS3 and a little pessemistic on the 360

Wii:     32mil                                           DS:      82mil

PS3:    16mil                                           PSP:    42mil

360:    24mil

Ico
Okami
Shadow of the Colossus (not a complete bomb, but very underwhelming sales considering scores/install base)
Psychonauts

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

@faxnandu

Viva Pinata..

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million