By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Could The 3DS Do To Fail?

Squilliam said:

1/2: Please if you're going to write stuff like that at least attempt to look it up first. It makes as much sense for 3DS screen to break from opening and closing as it would for my windows to break because I open and close them too much. Also you're confusing performance with power consumption, power consumption has likely stayed relatively similar to the DS whilst performance has increased substantially. Remember the 3DS also comes with a smaller battery than previous models.

3. People will play a compelling game inspite of the crap controls if crap controls are all they can expect to have. See Resident Evil 1/2 for this, utter crap control in every way and yet it sold pretty well. Besides, the PSP controls are only half bad

1/2.  I did attempt to look it up.  But like I said, I have found little info about the quality for these parallax barriers.  And you're not folding your windows onto itself, you're sliding them up and down.  I've seen many a child slam their DS's shut.  Actually, it's quite normal to do this, same goes for flip phones.  But really, it's not so much if they will break, as I'm guessing the 3rd LCD screen will be of the same quality.  My main concern is how easily is it to misalign the 2 screens required for the 3D effect.  So you know how much power the 3DS consumes?  Care to share?  What size battery do they have in it?

3.  People only put up with crap controls until something better emerges, i.e. dual analog sticks.  Just like you'll never see another FPS use the L1&2 and R1&2 buttons for strafing and looking up and down, like was common place on the PS1.  Same goes for camera controls in games with 3D exploration.  When's the last time a game used the Resident Evil 1 control scheme?

Around the Network

1. I definitely see short battery life and long charge time as a problem (if true). Not sure how much that will affect sales though. If PSP2 can manage a significantly longer battery life then that could be a huge plus and something to advertise in commercials.

2. I know nothing about screen durability, but I do know I don't want a flimsy-ass screen.

3. The design/look will be very important in my decision which (if either) to buy so hopefully PSP2 gets it right because the PSP had mediocre controls at best.

4. Price will obviously be the biggest factor. I think for PSP2 to win (or stand a chance) next gen it will have to be at least $50 cheaper or worst case scenario equally priced to the 3DS. I think $250 is the perfect price for the PSP2, $300 is pushing it, and >$300 will make the PSP2 fail miserably. I bet the 3DS will be $300 and sell just fine. I wouldn't even be shocked if it was $349 for the first few months (for the extra profit) and then quickly dropped to $300. I think that would be a clever move by Nintendo.

Anyways I think the only way PSP2 can win next gen is to be $50 cheaper than the 3DS and of course have good games to support the system (and good battery life will be a good selling point too). 3DS has massive amounts of hype going for it so it will have to be a massive disappointment (in terms of price/quality) in order to actually fail.

I wanted to comment, but rol said everything in his first post....

You can't fail comming out of such a strong selling console.... unless you ask users to get 2 jobs to buy it and make it impossible for devs to program on your console... Nintendo learned that lesson long ago. (though it took them time).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Looks like the current winner amongst the methods to make 3DS a loser is "getting players dizzy".

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=123088&page=1

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I find it funny that people believe 3DS will have *at most* 3-5 hours of battery life.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

$599 or UMD could probably do it.