By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Word of Warning to Resellers

Economics 101

They are gonna flood the market with Wii's this week which mean the price is going to fall, and for 3 reasons.

1. More supply, less people looking on ebay or wherever

2. A lot of people are going to try to make a buck this so if you are thinking about getting one to scalp know that thousands of others are.. More Wiis more scalpers Ebay gets flooded price fall flat...

3. We are getting close enough where people my not want to risk not recieving it in the mail, they might just say "If I am gonna get it late, I am going to do the raincheck and pay just retail, screw ebay"

Don't get me wrong they will still be scarce, but you are not going to lose any money(if worse came to worse you could return it at no profit...) but that profit margin is going to dwindle.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

Lots of packages available on UK retailers websites but mostly with really terrible games and at a premium price.

I've never known major retailers take such advantage of customers at Christmas as with the Wii, but maybe that's because I've never looked before!

tokilamockingbrd said:

Economics 101

They are gonna flood the market with Wii's this week which mean the price is going to fall, and for 3 reasons.

2. A lot of people are going to try to make a buck this so if you are thinking about getting one to scalp know that thousands of others are.. More Wiis more scalpers Ebay gets flooded price fall flat...

3. We are getting close enough where people my not want to risk not recieving it in the mail, they might just say "If I am gonna get it late, I am going to do the raincheck and pay just retail, screw ebay"

Don't get me wrong they will still be scarce, but you are not going to lose any money(if worse came to worse you could return it at no profit...) but that profit margin is going to dwindle.

Um.. I think demand is much higher than even a doubling of supply (for this week only).

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

WARNING. CAPTAIN OBVIOUS IS DEAD. Please take his place.

"Why isn't samus in a mario kart game?"

profit margins are getting down to the $100 to $150 mark what with 20,000 auctions on Ebay thanks to seller fees and paypal fees and such. I would put a 3 to 5 day limit on the sale if it is going to be put up at this point. If the profit gets down to only $25, its almost not worth the hassle. ($25 profit would still put the buyer paying about $350 or more with shipping and all).

I don't think sellers are going to have to worry about it. In order for them to insure it's gets there by Christmas, then it will have to be sold by Thursday and that will be before the flood anyway.

Around the Network
clandecyon said:

I don't think sellers are going to have to worry about it. In order for them to ensure it's gets there by Christmas, then it will have to be sold by Thursday and that will be before the flood anyway.

That really irritates me. They're not insuring it; i.e. paying someone to cover for the possibility that it doesn't arrive, they're ensuring it; i.e. taking measures to be sure it will arrive.

On topic: Yes, the price will fall to barely profitable levels, but resellers may make up for that by having a larger stock of Wiis to ensure they will have a quantitatively high profit.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

tokilamockingbrd said:

Economics 101

They are gonna flood the market with Wii's this week which mean the price is going to fall, and for 3 reasons.

I don't think you grasp the concept of just how large the demand for a Wii is...

Yes they're flooding the market, but this is why you buy now, and sell on Dec 23 and include overnight shipping. Not many people are willing to wait in line at 6 AM in the mostly freezing cold that's covering most of the US right now.

Here are some more important facts to consider:

1. More supply, more resellers in line ready to buy. I'm sure the percentages will favor the regular consumer, but still, it takes away from the supply.

2. Demand is through the fucking roof. It's been said many times that nintendo could DOUBLE production and still sell out.

3. People in America are more than willing to pay a premium for convenience. Remember what I said about it being really really cold?

4. Never EVER underestimate the power of the Christmas season. Ebay resellers will definitely have a good one.

Just something to think about  

Currently playing: Civ 6

^after what I saw today Cdude, I think you might be right.... it was a zoo out there...

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

I think he more than might be right. Nintendo is making sure supply will be tight well into Jan., at the very least.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

I just got back from Circuit City. Fucking insane there. I had people offer me money for my voucher. Full report once I defrost.

Currently playing: Civ 6