By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is gaming so secretive? What is the industry hiding?

well one thing about the game industry is that you can have Big bombs. like games Losing Big amounts of money. With the market for big titles limited to <400 million  (excludes IOS, flash and pc(not all pc's can run games) ) compared to movies and music that surpasses Billions of people as protiental buyers. Getting people to Invest in the Publishers is tough when there is an High risk putting up an games that have big returns. An if there were constant posting on games sales you would see an few bombs or disappointing sales because the industry are cut throat, so people wouldn't invest which will hurt publishers. Also the industry is new and unpredictable so alot of sales information is kept secret to not drive away new investors.

So to get my point around. Say you are an investor who isn't an gamer or comes or heard of vgcharts etc. and you see the few reports that are released to the public by publishers that game x made x amount in first day, profit already etc. You would be very interested to invest in an games publisher. If all the information is release they would find out that its very difficult to make an profit because games are costing more, limited markets, lots of bombs and an even games that cost 50-100 million can Bomb hard and close developers and publishers.

Thats my take on why its so secret because publishers dont want to drive away future investors that they need to fund new games to make money.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong