By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - one thing i dont understand about the whole 360 vs ps3 thing

one thing i dont understand about the whole xbox 360 vs ps3 debate is this:  whenever i go to a game website (ign, gamespot, gamefaqs, vgchartz) and theres some kind of poll about which is better ps3 usually wins.  same with the youtube videos on comparing the two consoles.  but yet xbox still remains the more profitable product.  so if the ps3 has all of these fans, why does the xbox still sell better?  i do have a theory about this though.  my theory is that xbox is a more mainstream product so it will sell better.  and ps3 owners (myself included) search the internet looking for hope that the ps3 will finally come out on top.  thats why the ps3 always wins the internet battles.  what do you guys here on vgchartz think.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

Around the Network

ps3 fans are a vocal minority overall, but represent a large percentage of gaming forum users.

What you observed happens here with polls involving the ps3 or ps3 exclusives.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Just because something is considered "better" doesn't automatically mean it is going to sell better.

Something to consider is cost. The cheapest x360 is much cheaper than a PS3. I consider Ferarri to be better than a Toyota but which sells more...not quite a good analogy but you see my point.

If the PS3 and X360 was exactly the same price for all models then I think it would be far closer.

Then you take into account that the biggest market (NA) favours the X360 above the PS3, which helps generate profits for the X360 as NA is also the biggest software market.

You conveniently ignored the wii, but I think if you had considered it, it will go a long way in answering your overall question.

Meaning why is what is considered the worst spec console killing the opposition even when they too now have motion control.

360 and Wii fans are too busy playing games and doing other stuff to constantly post how awesome their console is on forums.

Someone was going to say it, might just as well be me!

People may disagree with me, but the highly vocal dedicated fanbase of a console manufacturer takes a long time to build and an even longer time to lose. What this means is that (while the PS3 lost a large portion of the PS2's fanbase to the XBox 360 and Wii) is very large due to the success of the Playstation and PS2, and probably still significantly larger than the dedicated fanbase of the XBox 360. While this (probably) doesn't impact game sales much, it will have a massive impact on polls and forums.

Around the Network

well i think it is because sony fans went from 1st to last in one generation.

So they feel the need to defend their console & attack competitors on the internet

look at the chicago cubs for example...people still love them even though they are always in last

It's a pretty obvious answer:

PS3 is the most expensive console in the market, so they have more money and can afford internet at home. So they have more time to be on internet.

the reason i left out the wii is because it USUALLY but not always dominates both over xbox and ps3.  and the xbox and ps3 are more similar to each other than the wii.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

During the 2008 election season, the ONE candidate who won most of the Internet polls was Ron Paul.  He ended up doing also-ran in the elections.  So, you can have a VERY strongly opinionated partisan camp who cares more about the something than others.

Also, one can strongly argue that the PS3 is a superior piece of hardware, factoring in BluRay.  The 360 does have some advantages also, but on the whole the PS3 is likely superior.  HOWEVER, factoring in price and other things, it doesn't appear to be a difference maker in what is owned.  It is a bit like the XBox vs the PS2.  The original XBox is arguably superior to the PS2, but the PS2 ended up winning the battle, because it was close enough technically to the XBox and had other things going for it.

Its because in real life noone can really hear you scream. At least they can shout out for the world to see on the internet.

Tease.