By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision cock blocking PS3 Rock Band owners?

MTV Games says Activision is preventing the release of a update that would enable the use of GH3 controllers in Rock Band for PS3. Activision says MTV Games declined "an agreement" that would enable the ability.

image credit: wired.com

"The compatibility patch was submitted, approved and had been scheduled for release by Sony on Tuesday, December 4," Rock Band officials said on Wednesday.

"Unfortunately, Activision objected to the compatibility patch's release. The patch remains with Sony, but we have been told that it will unfortunately not be released due to Activision's continued objection."

Activision, in turn, released the following statement on Thursday.

"The recent announcement by MTV Games/Viacom's Harmonix division that Activision is blocking Sony from releasing a patch and their plea to enable Rock Band software to work with Guitar Hero hardware paints a very misleading picture.

"In fact, MTV Games/Viacom recently declined Activision's offer to reach an agreement that would allow the use of Guitar Hero guitar controllers with Rock Band."

The language seems to imply that Activision is seeking licensing fees from MTV Games for Rock Band compatibility on PS3.

Coincidentally, Guitar Hero III controllers work on the Xbox 360 version of Rock Band, suggesting that Sony regulation may be at play. 

Around the Network

I could be wrong, but I suspect why the XBox 360 controllers are compatible by default is Microsoft has been very strict about creating and maintaining standards which developers are supposed to follow. It is actually fairly likely that the Guitars have the exact same interface because Microsoft forced it upon the developers.

HappySqurriel said:
I could be wrong, but I suspect why the XBox 360 controllers are compatible by default is Microsoft has been very strict about creating and maintaining standards which developers are supposed to follow. It is actually fairly likely that the Guitars have the exact same interface because Microsoft forced it upon the developers.

Although that isn't necessarily a bad thing, just in case anyone claims it is.

As for the PS3 versions, I'm assuimg either money has to change hands, or the quality of the Rock Band guitars actually has to go up.

Then again, this is Activision, so I'm assuing money will have to change hands. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

i c activision getting sued again for this! same with the wii's gh3 sound problem! (mono sucks)!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

have fun working that out, losers!!

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Around the Network

This is probably one of the reasons MS didn't want 3rd party wireless. I expect you'll find a standard 360 controller guts inside the GH3 guitar.

Activision cant help but piss off and alienate people that buy their products.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-