By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA President says Wii could explode!

John Riccitiello the outspoken CEO and president of EAGames gave his thoughts about the current state of the Wii. He names Nintendo's weaknesses and strengths and talks about how Nintendo could reclaim the throne and explode.

So how could Nintendo Wii sales explode?

"I think if they were to price down to $99, (Nintendo) would explode," -John Riccitiello

Well no duh John. If Nintendo cut the hardware price by a hundred dollars its bound to over take the competitors consoles. I mean considering how the Wii right now is in second place week on week and holding its own against Move and Kinect a hundred dollar price cut would definatly put it back on top.

So why is the Wii not selling better then Kinect or as well as it used to?

"I think it’s a frustration for all third-party publishers, when a platform holder does less to promote third-party content,"  "...[Nintendo has] never really been a heavy third-party supporting system." - John Riccitiello

So its the third party content that is responsable. He mirrors the opinion of dozens of other game developers complaining about how Nintendo doesn't promote third party efforts enough. But am I the only one who notices EAGames hasn't exactly released any AAA titles for Wii yet. So its not all Nintendo to blame.

What do you think does John Riccitiello have the right idea? Does Nintendo need a price cut and to do more to promote third parties?

Source

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Wii is loosing to Move and Kinect? lol

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:

Wii is loosing to Move and Kinect? lol

He doesn't actually say Wii is loosing. The context of the article by Gamasutra talks about the Kinect and Move's impact on the market.

Also Microsoft's 360 is now beating Nintendo many weeks. So in a way Nintendo is loosing to Kinect seeing as it is the big hardware pusher.

I guess when I wrote the thread I did make it seem as though he was saying that. But it was not in quotes and I never directly said he said that.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

this article was posted last week

wii sales would explode but not over the top but just compared to current low sales of wii.wii will go back to its 2008 days

Thanks Riccitiello but Wii is already exploding !

80Millions / 210 weeks ... Better than PS2 so ...

Around the Network

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=121440

Good debate already going.

Key poiints:
- All game consoles would explode at $99.
- Since EA is asking Nintendo cut their price in half, why doesn't EA cut their game prices in half?
- Sales have already exploded.
- Make high quality games for Wii and Nintndo will support it.  Make shit, get shit support.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

EA's Wii lineup has for the most part been underwhelming.

The same could be said for most third parties. They don't know what they are doing on the console. So they turn to the old retorts like -- help us with PR and cut your price so we can sell more at our inflated price. 

Maybe they should take the THQ approach with uDraw. Come up with a new idea. Take some risk. Get Nintendo to become an active partner. 

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Wow what a forecasting! this guy is a wizard.

Wow,you're so late with this.

Viper1 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=121440

Good debate already going.

Key poiints:
- All game consoles would explode at $99.
- Since EA is asking Nintendo cut their price in half, why doesn't EA cut their game prices in half?
- Sales have already exploded.
- Make high quality games for Wii and Nintndo will support it.  Make shit, get shit support.

This. Locking for redundancy.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...