By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto response to Insominiac Spherical World Claim -> Is that a PC Game?

well, if I remember right, Miyamoto isn't really a big gamer. He's far more of an outdoors type person. As such, I'm not really surprised that he doesn't know much about R&C.

Around the Network
Chadius said:
Insomaniac really needs to stop grinding that axe.

Super Mario Galaxy - 2.55m

Ratchet & Clank ToD - .48m

I think they'll be grinding it for a while...

I still think it's funny they made that claim when Sonic Adventure 2 had already done stuff where small spherical worlds and gravity for the last Rogue/Knuckles stage. =P

Yojimbo said:
Nice on. I liked Miyamoto better when he just ignored such things.

Miyamoto "I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to"

If you forget he was the guy who got Retro to do a good job on Metroid Prime, so the fact that he was the driving force behid that game kind of proves he could have made Halo, he just prefers to make deep adventure games not derivative shooters

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Luppien said:
takkxyz said:

@Hawk: Yep, and we had a huge debate about it that settled on somewhere along the line: Isn't Earth/Planets/Celestial Body round? Can they claim they come up with the idea before... those come up into existence or something

@Luppien: Don't be too surprised, considering Ratchet & Clank's Japanese sales...

yeah i know it doesnt sell there but, when youre creating a platform game i think you should check what your competitors are doing

I am pretty sure they don't do that.  And why should they?  Mario has always been the best platformer.  Nintendo's Donkey Kong is the 2nd best.  Maybe Crash was a distant 3rd?  I only played R&C once and I didn't like it at all.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Around the Network
BrainBoxLtd said:
I still think it's funny they made that claim when Sonic Adventure 2 had already done stuff where small spherical worlds and gravity for the last Rogue/Knuckles stage. =P

The universe has had spherical planets for billions of years...ZOMG the universe copied insomniac!

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Am I the only one that feels sorry for Insomniac?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
Am I the only one that feels sorry for Insomniac?

Probably

lol, those funny insomniac's! (qué atrevidos).

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

I haven't played the Ratchet game with these spherical worlds, so I can't really judge the merits of their claim. Could someone provide a YouTube link or something?

I'm honestly pretty surprised that Miyamoto doesn't even know about Ratchet. If I was a game developer, I'd at least try virtually every game that gets released, just to have a good as possible of an idea of where the industry is going. Then again, maybe the reason for him being so great is that he ignores everything else, and just does his own thing? =/