By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Unemployment rate goes back up in the U.S.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/04/business/la-fi-jobs-20101204 ---link. What's going on? The unemployment rate rose back up to %9.8 in Nov. I'm no economy expert but I'm concerned about what's going on. I think the news said,this is the 19th month of high unemployment,which is a record. So is this concerning to anybody? Are you unemployed and having a hard time finding a job? What are the answer's? The U.S. goverment is fighting about the bush tax cuts,but those obviously haven't worked. Again,I'm no expert on this,but the economy has to get better,eventually right?

Around the Network

You wanna here the scary part?  In November... RETAIL jobs went down.

They fired a bunch of people right before the buisest shopping season of the year.

Additionally, most of the jobs to counter the jobs lost?  Temporary positions.

As for having trouble finding a Job.   I've been working nothing but temp work since I moved to Las Vegas.

As for the tax cuts... you should consider the article more closely.  They mention how when they were forced to let people go they realized how some of them weren't really needed.

The same likely would be the case if the tax cuts expire.

You need to give buisnesses incentives to work here.

employers are hesitant to hire new employees after the recession?

There is no requirement for an economy to get better. History shows that empires rise and fall. And every empire assumes they are an exception. While I know people who live US and I hope sincerely that things turn around. I want to know that someone who has a better education than me is employed and at this time he is not :|

I also think the politicians falsify numbers and allow for readjustments later to hide the real impact.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I'm doing temp work myself and currently looking for another job in my field. You have to constantly be looking when you are just going from short-term contract to short-term contract.

Honestly, to all the young highschool guys and gals on here, please reconsider before you go to college. Lots of college graduates are struggling right now in the workforce. Don't go to college just because your parents, school counsellors, teachers or peers tell you to. Consider your options. There are other ways to get a well-paying job than going to college. And getting a degree, even in engineering or some other so-called "well-paying degree" (lots of engineering grads are unemployed or underemployed so don't think you are safe just because you are going for a Bachelors of Science and not a BA), is far from a guarantee of a well-paying career.

I'm telling you right now, if you take up an apprenticeship instead of going to college, chances are you are going to cash in a lot sooner and make some good money. College requires so much sacrifice, but not enough rewards to go around.

Around the Network

The country is most likely heading for another crash, come early 2011 jobs in the US are going to slam into a brick wall. I lost one of my 2 jobs in January it paid $17 an hour and it was in manufacturing (electronics). The company outsourced their manufacturing to a country in the Middle East  and that was that (company owner is from Israel).

I can't lie to you but I have been trying to replace that job since then and no luck, not even $9 an hour is possible when you have a BA in computers science all you end up hearing is that you are over qualified now a days, the truth is they know you are going to end up leaving anyway. in an interview one woman told me to go back to school and get my Masters and then come back in a few years and she can get me a better position LMAO, I said get a Masters with what money and what bank is going to lend me money when I already have car payments and my previous school loans to pay off? If I could go back in time I would not have dumped $20k on my college education, because most of the jobs I got since collage I got through friends and family, so for me a lot of time it was not what I knew but  who I knew.

Since January, 11 banks have been robbed in my town and one Wal-Mart, the city has laid off 20 police officers. The best advice I can give is don’t spend what little money you have left, hang on to that shit as if it's you last breath.

What I heared was that there were more jobs this month in the US, so that's all good.

However unemployment rate went up because sometimes the unemployed are so unconfident about finding a job that they don't file themselves as unemployed, so that when the economy gets better they do again file themselves as unemployed and the rate goes up.

Took me 2 years to finally get a job (and a shitty position at Wal-Mart, at least i'm getting paid) and my brother has been struggling for about the same time and still no luck...times are hard and I don't see it getting better anytime soon....

well. I actually found it quite easy to get jobs...

I was just lounging around my kitchen one day and my mom joked about me working for the census I said "why not?" and joined. About halfway through I asked my grandmother if she needed any help with her business and she said yes! so I started working with her after my time with the census came to an end. While working for her I was offered two more jobs(one at a lumber mill and a antique store(my grandmother shares a warehouse with him I actually made a joke which he took seriously and offered me a part time job)), and at school my teacher said I had some good computer class grades and offered me a job in the computer lab.

Moral of the story, be awesome like dsister and you too can have way too many job offers!

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

loy310 said:

The country is most likely heading for another crash, come early 2011 jobs in the US are going to slam into a brick wall. I lost one of my 2 jobs in January it paid $17 an hour and it was in manufacturing (electronics). The company outsourced their manufacturing to a country in the Middle East  and that was that (company owner is from Israel).

I can't lie to you but I have been trying to replace that job since then and no luck, not even $9 an hour is possible when you have a BA in computers science all you end up hearing is that you are over qualified now a days, the truth is they know you are going to end up leaving anyway. in an interview one woman told me to go back to school and get my Masters and then come back in a few years and she can get me a better position LMAO, I said get a Masters with what money and what bank is going to lend me money when I already have car payments and my previous school loans to pay off? If I could go back in time I would not have dumped $20k on my college education, because most of the jobs I got since collage I got through friends and family, so for me a lot of time it was not what I knew but  who I knew.

Since January, 11 banks have been robbed in my town and one Wal-Mart, the city has laid off 20 police officers. The best advice I can give is don’t spend what little money you have left, hang on to that shit as if it's you last breath.

Try and get a GA position pal, that's the best advice I can think of

and the economy is very unpredictable now, I even heard the 'experts' saying economy has turned around (in a good way, officially BUT a certain percentage of people who got laid off over the years will never get a job again. I'll try and find that article

Eitherway I do hope it works out for all, I would like to get a decent job once I get my undergrad

but i have noticed for comp science, they almost always ask for a masters now, I know cuz my brother in law works for Intel and we sometimes talk about these things. When he does interviews apparently they don't even ask undergrads to come for them. So it differs from major to major.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!