By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shortly to be a 3 console owner

huaxiong90 said:

If you like JRPG's, you have to buy Lost Odyssey. Maybe Tales of Vesperia too, if you can find a copy.

Crackdown offers some good action here and there.

I don't know if you'll like Fable all that much, honestly. But I'd suggest you look into it.

As for XBLA...get Limbo, Maw (if you haven't on PC),'Splosion Man, Toy Soldiers, and Trials HD. There's many others, but these are what I can think of at the moment.

Edit: And Shadow Complex, definitely.

Ah yes, I remember Shadow Complex getting great reviews.  I'll definately check that out.  Fable I forgot.  I tried the first on PC and liked it but thought it had some flaws.  2 and 3 are supposed to be a lot better, right?  I'll have to give those a go.  Lost Odyssey does seem to get mentioned a bit as a hidden gem, doesn't it?  I'll check it out for reviews and some gameplay videos.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Lost Odyssey is the game I was going to lead up to recommending if you're not against JRPGs on a mechanial or aesthetic level. Ignore anyone who tells you that you have to get Vesperia; unless your wife's tastes diverge from yours so seriously that she inexplicably can justify playing through 60 hours of mindless anime cliche bunk, it's not going to be worth it.

Lost Odyssey is interesting for the balance of its gameplay and because it's probably got the best writing in any JRPG.

The level system in the game is scaled; in areas where you are too low-leveled to beat the boss, you will quickly hit the appropriate level and leveling beyond that is very slow, so you are almost always more or less where you need to be. It's very convenient.

The game is also full of short stories which were penned by a rather famous Japanese author; I don't know that they are high literature or anything of the kind, but they are thematically consistent, presented excellently, and are one and all quite touching. It may not be as literary as you would prefer, but if you can imagine Guy Gavriel Kay or Steven Erikson writing short stories then they would probably come out like these do.

The main character is characterized primarily through these short stories, and your understanding of the world and its history is similarly dependent on them. It takes you out of the action for a bit, but I like how it ontrols the pacing of the game and I think the story was much, much stronger for being presented in this way.

Khuutra said:

Lost Odyssey is the game I was going to lead up to recommending if you're not against JRPGs on a mechanial or aesthetic level. Ignore anyone who tells you that you have to get Vesperia; unless your wife's tastes diverge from yours so seriously that she inexplicably can justify playing through 60 hours of mindless anime cliche bunk, it's not going to be worth it.

Lost Odyssey is interesting for the balance of its gameplay and because it's probably got the best writing in any JRPG.

The level system in the game is scaled; in areas where you are too low-leveled to beat the boss, you will quickly hit the appropriate level and leveling beyond that is very slow, so you are almost always more or less where you need to be. It's very convenient.

The game is also full of short stories which were penned by a rather famous Japanese author; I don't know that they are high literature or anything of the kind, but they are thematically consistent, presented excellently, and are one and all quite touching. It may not be as literary as you would prefer, but if you can imagine Guy Gavriel Kay or Steven Erikson writing short stories then they would probably come out like these do.

The main character is characterized primarily through these short stories, and your understanding of the world and its history is similarly dependent on them. It takes you out of the action for a bit, but I like how it ontrols the pacing of the game and I think the story was much, much stronger for being presented in this way.

Hmm.  That does sound interesting.  I'll definately check LO out.  I don't mind jRPG and play them from time to time, most recently with FFXIII.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:

Hmm.  That does sound interesting.  I'll definately check LO out.  I don't mind jRPG and play them from time to time, most recently with FFXIII.

Please let me know when you do, I'm interested in hearing your impressions on those stories.

What did you think of FFXIII?

Khuutra said:

Hello.

I totally agree with this post. Excellent.

Around the Network

I recommend:

• Fable II and III
  • Gears of War 1 and 2
  • LIMBO
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Perfect Dark
  • Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie
  • Shadow Complex
  • The Maw
  • 'Splosion Man

I would start there. Remember you can try the trials of all games on XBLA, and there's a lot of stuff there, so you might wanna just look around it for awhile and see what appeals to you. Fable II also has a trial that let's you play the first hour or so absolutely free, so I'd check that out. I've played a little Viva Pinata, which I think is pretty good, so you might wanna check that out as well.

Congrats on your purchase!

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

trasharmdsister12 said:
Reasonable said:

Ah yes, I remember Shadow Complex getting great reviews.  I'll definately check that out.  Fable I forgot.  I tried the first on PC and liked it but thought it had some flaws.  2 and 3 are supposed to be a lot better, right?  I'll have to give those a go.  Lost Odyssey does seem to get mentioned a bit as a hidden gem, doesn't it?  I'll check it out for reviews and some gameplay videos.

I'm responding to you on behalf of huaxiong90 as he and I agree we are essentially the same person... but I'm 2 years older meaning I have an extra 2 associated with me. And we all know a bigger number means better. But that's besides the point.

I wouldn't take Fable 1 as any kind of standard for where the series has gone since. Fable 2 and 3 are pretty different to Fable 1 in the sense that it's more akin to AC2 or ME2  (an action adventure with RPG elements tucked away). They focus more on the social interactions and implications of your choices to bring out the role-playing instead of skill trees, hundreds of spells, mana meters, etc. If you like AC2 and ACB and like old fairy tail kinds of settings with quirks I think you'll enjoy Fable 2 and 3.

There's a reason why they call bigger brothers bullies...>_>

But yeah, pretty much what you said.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Most of the primaries have been hit here, but to casy my vote with others I'd say the absolute *musts* are (in no particular order):

• Lost Oddyssey (those stories WERE great, and really made the game).
  • Shadow Complex (so much old-school type fun in a HD package).
  • Fable 2/Fable 3: fun, action/rpg hybrids.
  • Gears 1 and 2 are fantastic games, but you mentioned those.
  • If you are going to get Gold, then Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 should both be reasonably priced (maybe you have on Steam?)
  • Finally for kinect Dance Central and Kinect Sports are the cream of the kinect launch crop, and very fun games in thier own right, though be prepared to work up a sweat in either!

You're about to become a proper gamer now that you have all the consoles. =) Not sure if you're into RPG's or not but Tales of Vesperia is an awesome game. It's 4 player co-op as well which makes it even better.

XBLA exclusives
- available and highly recommendable: Rez HD
- available and recommendable: RISK: Factions
- looks extremely promising and can already be played and purchased prior to launch via "secret" code: ilomilo
- future beauty to keep an eye on: click right picture in my signature

Xbox "original" download for reasonable people who like Tim Schafer games: Psychonauts