By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gamespot Reviews GT5 8/10

CGI-Quality said:
Darth Tigris said:
AlkamistStar said:

IGN, including other sites have referred to the AI, and driving experience to be subpar. I see alot of people only mentioning the clunky menus, and long loading times as reasons for a "good" scores overall, but there's more to it than that. Ignoring the on rails AI drivers, wacky damage, inconsistent textures/models, 800 cars that lack cockpit view, impractical and awkward online options and lobby system, and not being able to custom paint cars are all reasons for an overall AA game.

I've owned every GT game so far with the exception of GT: Prologue, but as it stands right now, i'm not excited for GT as i once was, nor do i think it's the better of the two when it comes to Forza. Maybe i've been spoiled by the Forza series now, or i'm just not into an all out simulator experience anymore (seeing as i love the rewind feature in Forza 3).

As for the Skeeuk saying that he's impressed that you can watch your friends do their timed runs....you can watch ANY online race in real time, check each person's real time telemetry, and even get their car's setup in Forza's online mode.

Get the feeling some simply lack the capacity to be reasonable about this game, especially comparing it to its competition, "the definitive racing game of this generation" or in accepting the review scores out there (which there is not a ONE that is NEGATIVE on Metacritic).  Thanks for trying, though.

Why didn't a comparably huge release with a rabid fanbase (Halo Reach) get these kind of meltdowns over its lower-than-expected Metacritic score (91) ...?

I'm not seeing many meltdowns regarding GT5 (much more in defense of what actually matters - I don't think a game about driving should be marked down significantly for some trees). I do remember some Reach fans being disappointed with it's Meta, though (Seece being a big one). One thing that's universally agreed upon, however, is that GT5 is the top racing sim available (even from the less favorable reviews, the game is given that credit).

What Reach and GT5 should teach people: forget Meta/review scores. If you're set on enjoying a game, and you do, all else is trivial. Some of the greatest games available have sub 90 Metas.

I see it this way, each of the big three have a franchise at the top of their class:

Nintendo - Super Mario has the most robust and memorable platforming.

Sony - Gran Turismo is the top racing sim within the industry.

Microsoft - Even with the presence of Call of Duty, nobody does multiplayer like Halo.

With that, I agree. Well said.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Around the Network

=/ I don't know about the online, but I knew the graphics would be marked down. The quality, as I said before, looked very inconsistent based on the screenshots, and release screens proved this even further...

That aside, everybody who's played it is enjoying it, so it's not really a problem. I won't be able to buy a game for a while, so...until then!

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!