By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Admit it, Nintendo totally blew it.

Godsmurf said:
I don't think anyone here really knows how easy or hard it is to ramp up production, so we're all just speculating. Personally I'm going to side with the OP. I can understand the shortages last year, but a full year later and they still can't meet demand? I just don't buy it that you can't ramp up production to ANY level given a full year. Which means they HAVE been too conservative despite the Wii's immediate succes a year ago, and that is a major blunder.

Producing too many Wii's was not such a big risk - the console has years to go so any surplus could eventually be used. But now they're just abandoning a part of the market to their competitors. The biggest damage from this shortage imo is that shops are always advertising the 360 and the PS3 but rarely the Wii because the few Wii's they have will sell without advertising anyway. So people not into gaming get exposed to the 360 and PS3 much more than to the Wii.

Apple never seems to have a problem meeting demand for new iPods at launch day btw, let alone a year later.

Ipod wasn't as popular its first year

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Hindsight is always 20/20. If they had produced 10 million for launch and they didn't sell it would have been enough to sink Nintendo.

bulletstopper said:
Hindsight is always 20/20. If they had produced 10 million for launch and they didn't sell it would have been enough to sink Nintendo.

Well no, with Ninty's money from the DS they would have been fine, but it still would have hurt their profits

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

There is a shortage of Pikmins to power the Wii. The Wii don't work without the Pikmins. The Pikmins dont grow on trees. The shortage of Wii is because the Pikmin god wants it that way, otherwise he would make more Pikmins. Okay?

Here is how manufacturing works in the minds of some internet people:

WHY DOESN'T NINTENDO PRESS THE RED BUTTON?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Clearly Nintendo hates money.

NJ5 said:

Here is how manufacturing works in the minds of some internet people:

WHY DOESN'T NINTENDO PRESS THE RED BUTTON?

FUCKING HELL^^ why don't they?

because the long term!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Look at the issues Sony are having with in-house production of the PS3 - they are moving as fast as they can, to outsource as much of it as possible.

If Sony was in the same situation, do you think they would be able to produce more than 1.8m PS3s / month? Hell no - not after 1 year anyway.

Demand is simply ridiculously high - so high, that it is meeting/exceeding the huge supply at the moment. If Ninty was making 4m / month - and it was still selling out - people would be saying the same things.

Look at the numbers - not the fact that its selling out. Its overtaken the 360 within 12 months, and close to a 10 MILLION lead over the PS3 - which launched at the same time!

Just wait till next year - and the stories of WiiFit being supply restricted. 200k / week production for that, simply won't be enough.

If there is any company with the resources (and the will) to continue to increase production - its Nintendo. Jan '08  is where they will really start to shine, and leave the competition in the dust. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

yeah...if by blew you mean increase production to try to match demand then yeah i guess

Vizion said:
I said Nintendo didn't increase production to MEET DEMAND. They had all year long to do it when the Wii was perpetutually sold out (in America at least).

Nintendo is one of the largest companies in the world. Of course they had the monetary means to have production increased at least 2-3 fold in a short amount of time.

Nintendo didn't they do their best when they could have had production increased to let's say 3-4 million a month. And they could have. It was within their capabilities. But they chose to take the conservative route.

If they produced enough I think the Wii would have delivered the KO punch to its competitors.

Just shut up. You're don't even know what you're talking about. You don't know a thing about business