By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Modern warfare in Rio de Janeiro

No, this is not about MW2. It's about the current situation in Rio, with the drug cartels/criminal factions burning cars and buses and now the police hitting back hard.

A summary of what's going on (although I know that some brazilian fellows will visit this thread and correct me, as I don't actually live in Rio):

- Rio de Janeiro, like São Paulo and other large urban centers, is composed of the city of Rio itself and other smaller cities (like Belford Roxo, Niterói). The southern part of the city is usually where you go when you visit Rio. There are a lot of favelas (slums) in Rio, and usually they're dominated by drug dealing factions or militia formed by former cops.
- Last year, the government invaded the favelas surrounding the south and installed what we call Pacifying Police Units (UPP in portuguese), taking the favelas from the factions.
- Now they're moving north, and obviously the factions are not happy with that. Since Sunday, these usually enemy faction started a joint attack to burn down buses and cars. Instead of robbing your car, the criminal might pull you out of your car and simply burn it.
- The government is hitting back hard, invading the favelas in the north with M-113's and loads of people.

There are some videos here: http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/noticia/2010/11/confira-videos-dos-ataques-no-rio-de-janeiro.html

And pics here: http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/fotos/2010/11/veja-fotos-dos-carros-incendiados-no-rio.html

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network

Unfortunately its true, 17,5k cops are on streets and there's WAR TANKS on the streets, navy support its real war and its MUCH WORSE than in Call of Duty.

Yeah. I live in Rio and the situation is abusurd.

I hope now that with these new armaments, police and BOPE (acronym in Portuguese for Special Operations Battalion) will destroy these drug dealers bastards.

They keep using these "terrorist" tactics but the people here arent scared. They just want the poilce to kick their ass.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

bandits escaping from the favela taken over yesterday to another (huge) one

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

FAKE- there is no violence in Brazil. Thats what the other guys said in the thread on Sony-numbers in Brazil.

lol

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

Around the Network

Temporary solution, methinks. It's all gonna go back to the way it was before if the soldiers move out.

where be Max Payne??

My guess is they want to stamp this sort of stuff out before 2014 when the world cup is in Brazil. The government wont want the threats posed by those gangs lingering around because it will damage the reputation if loads of international tourists at a major sporting event are attacked during the competition. Same goes for when the Olympics go there in 2016.

I fucking hate deceptive titles. Judging from this thread,it's a flop anyways.