By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Netflix prices rising again

I just got on Netflix, stream all the time, but I still have been receiving and sending a disc out every flipping week. I'd be cool with this if everything was available to stream, but its not so... yeah I'm fucked here.

Can't go to the stream only option and I like the service too much to quit.

Around the Network

I wish options like this existed in the UK. Essentially if you want to watch good* TV you have a choice of Sky and that's it. Cable sucks and is available to only a few households.

*Imported American shows or films made in the last few years or sports coverage of any kind.

Sky = $80/month for what I listed btw

I wish they had a combo streaming physical disc delivery service here in Canada. I looked at the Netflix.ca selection and even though it has been improving as of late, it's still ass. They have Mad Men (sweet) and now they have Weeds (not really interested. The lead actress is a hot 40-something milf and I've got a thing for older women. That's the only thing that interests me about the show). But I'm only thinking about giving the one month free trial a shot. I can probably watch everything I want from their selection within that one month. Their television selection sucks and not only is their movie catalog old but they are missing a lot of highly critically acclaimed older movies in their catalog as well.

dosnt look like it will affect Canadians : )

twesterm said:

You know, with more and more subscribers I would hope they could lower the price but I guess not.  At least they're offering a streaming only option now.

-edit-

Oh, and yeah, I'm guilty of using Instant Watch much more than my discs.  I for some odd reason pay for BluRay access but I've had the same disc for the last 2-3 months and I use Instant Watch nearly every day.

I like having the option for the disc but I may just go for the instant only option.

I can't imagine ever going to the instant streaming only. I have the 1 disk at a time blu-ray package. HD streaming will never match blu-ray quality, and I also like the special features. I exchange about 3 BR disks on average per month. I've seen quite a bit on streaming, but it's going to be a while before even 50% of what's available at Netflix is available to be streamed.

I suppose many will go for streaming only. It's an impressive service to be sure, but the movie buffs who see lots of movies like me probably will not hesistate to pay any price increases for the disk based packages.

Around the Network

I mostly use netflix for streaming. Whenever I need to rent a new DVD, I always use Redbox because it usually isn't "currently available" on netflix.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

It's still incredibly cheap - I cut off most of my satellite channels because I rarely watch anything other than sports on it. There are so many tv series on Netflix that I can watch besides movies - I love it. The only thing I keep satellite for is sports and my wife's shopping channels. I reduced my satellite bill from $120/mo pre-Netflix to $75/mo since.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

I started the free trial of their Canadian service. It's great but I don't see myself using it beyond the free one month trial. Going to milk it as much as I can and cancel just before the trial ends. The TV selection isn't as solid as I'd want it to be and while I can live with no new releases, they are missing a lot of old titles in their selection as well.

So yeah after the month I'm going to go back to illicitly downloading all that shit (tv series and movies) for free. Netflix is a lot more convenient (just hit play and then it'll buffer for some seconds and away you go) than jumping through the hoops necessary to get your shit from file hosting sites (they're really cracking down on torrent piracy these days so I tend to avoid torrents) but the "selection" of pirated or free material on the internet is way more vast than netflix.ca's library.

Netflix has apparently stated that they will not setup up mail distribution centres in Canada so Canada won't have the combo streaming mail delivery service (where the selection is loads better). If Netflix Canada had that, I would stay on with them. Downloading old TV seasons through illicit channels can be a downright pain in the ass at times without resorting to torrents.

I might consider a dual Zip.ca (mail delivery-only service) plus Netflix solution. But I don't know if that's worth it. That would come out to like $19/month combined for Netflix streaming 1 DVD/Blu-Ray out at a time Zip rentals (American Netflix users can get both streaming and DVD/Blu-Ray rentals under one subscription and they pay a lot less than $19/month for both). I think I'll just save my money. Pirating tv shows and movies can be a downright pain in the ass at times but hey, it's free.

Well doesn't matter to me as here in Canada you can only stream Netflix over the internet anyways. I'm just waiting for NetFlix to put more effort into expanding its library of titles availible over NetFlix. What is their a couple hundred. Their should be at least a few thousand. I wouldn't even mind paying like 20$ a month to watch more recent releases and more popular films.

Heck many of the films I'd want to see are barely even sold in stores anymore NetFlix should be able to aquire the streaming rights very cheaply. I mean I saw some movies I wanted to view over NetFlix at Future Shop for 9.99$ BluRay. The rights for those movies can't be that high.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Netflix.ca should get the rights to Student Bodies and put all of the episodes on there. It would probably be dirt cheap to do so. YTV killed off that show ages ago and there is no DVD, VHS or anything of that show out there. I miss that shit. If you are Canadian, had YTV growing up and are in your twenties right now, chances are you probably watched it at least at some point. lol.