By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
theprof00 said:
Final-Fan said:
Linkzmax said:
You've failed in trying to create the scenario I asked for. You're simply trading the day one lynch for the "final day" lynch. There is no gain in lynches nor in number of days in that trade.

But the final day lynch is WAY better than the day one lynch.  Shifting the lynches to later in the game means there will be more information available generally.  However in this case I'm fine with lynching today because I feel there's enough out there to justify making a decision today. 

That's not what wonk is doing. Wonk thinks that if we no lynch today, then we get an extra lynch at the end. What he doesn't understand is that there is only ONE scenario in which a day one mislynch with this composition would make us lose a day. That situation is one in which the SK kills townies three nights in a row, the mafia kills us two nights in a row and the SK on the third night, and the doctor and cop are ineffectual. IF ANYTHING other than that scenario happens, we do not lose a day for lynching AND we get a bonus lynch on the first day.

That is why it is a free lynch.

However, if you believe like Vette does, that the situation described is possible and not worth the risk, then we must no lynch (unless we have a really solid lead).

There is far more than one posible scenario where having the extra townie killed the first day can cost extra chances to lynch. What there is only one of is a wcs

At one point there is a last kill and the town loses.  You only show that changing one variable from wcs has as many days as wcs.  What happens if you change a second variable?  What if one lynch gets a mafia?  How many days does that have compaired to wcs? How does that change with a no vote first day.  The odds are much less in our favor now and much more in our favor latter so delaying a lynching can really help the town out. 

You were aswering the question how does a random vote the first day compair to the wcs?  The question should have been how does a random vote the first day effect the chance of the town winning?

If mafia or sk were to go based on wcs for them. They wouldn't want any lynchings the first day because they then have one more night to kill, yet with the odds it's in there best interest to have a random vote the first day, so compairing to wcs isn't that helpful when just compared to the basic odds.

Now it is true that the odds are not much better day 2 but you have twice the time to come to a conclusion.  Twice the time for people to interact and make decisions.  Plus time for some cops to do some investigating. 

I'm sorry if this isn't as clear as I wanted it to be.  I think I got the idea that you are so sure of and had to think for a bit of why it's not quite right

There is no such thing as a free lynch even if we can under you scenario get as many wrong lynches in as possible while we still loose and get nothing right.  You didn't the scenario that showed the most number of wrong votes we could do and still win running it with a first day random vote and no vote the fist day.  Beyond that even though there are things that can give the town more chances to mess up and still win.  The serial killer killing a mafia or the doctor stopping a mafia kill.  Or even the town getting mafia instead of another towns person.   What matters is every death of a townie puts the mafia closer to winning and giving them a body would help them in more cases than where it wouldn't matter.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Final-Fan said:
Linkzmax said:
You've failed in trying to create the scenario I asked for. You're simply trading the day one lynch for the "final day" lynch. There is no gain in lynches nor in number of days in that trade.

But the final day lynch is WAY better than the day one lynch.  Shifting the lynches to later in the game means there will be more information available generally.  However in this case I'm fine with lynching today because I feel there's enough out there to justify making a decision today. 

That's not what wonk is doing. Wonk thinks that if we no lynch today, then we get an extra lynch at the end. What he doesn't understand is that there is only ONE scenario in which a day one mislynch with this composition would make us lose a day. That situation is one in which the SK kills townies three nights in a row, the mafia kills us two nights in a row and the SK on the third night, and the doctor and cop are ineffectual. IF ANYTHING other than that scenario happens, we do not lose a day for lynching AND we get a bonus lynch on the first day.

That is why it is a free lynch.

However, if you believe like Vette does, that the situation described is possible and not worth the risk, then we must no lynch (unless we have a really solid lead).

There is far more than one posible scenario where having the extra townie killed the first day can cost extra chances to lynch. What there is only one of is a wcs

At one point there is a last kill and the town loses.  You only show that changing one variable from wcs has as many days as wcs.  What happens if you change a second variable?  What if one lynch gets a mafia?  How many days does that have compaired to wcs? How does that change with a no vote first day.  The odds are much less in our favor now and much more in our favor latter so delaying a lynching can really help the town out. 

You were aswering the question how does a random vote the first day compair to the wcs?  The question should have been how does a random vote the first day effect the chance of the town winning?

If mafia or sk were to go based on wcs for them. They wouldn't want any lynchings the first day because they then have one more night to kill, yet with the odds it's in there best interest to have a random vote the first day, so compairing to wcs isn't that helpful when just compared to the basic odds.

Now it is true that the odds are not much better day 2 but you have twice the time to come to a conclusion.  Twice the time for people to interact and make decisions.  Plus time for some cops to do some investigating. 

I'm sorry if this isn't as clear as I wanted it to be.  I think I got the idea that you are so sure of and had to think for a bit of why it's not quite right

There is no such thing as a free lynch even if we can under you scenario get as many wrong lynches in as possible while we still loose and get nothing right.  You didn't the scenario that showed the most number of wrong votes we could do and still win running it with a first day random vote and no vote the fist day.  Beyond that even though there are things that can give the town more chances to mess up and still win.  The serial killer killing a mafia or the doctor stopping a mafia kill.  Or even the town getting mafia instead of another towns person.   What matters is every death of a townie puts the mafia closer to winning and giving them a body would help them in more cases than where it wouldn't matter.

Well, when you lay it all out like that, Kantor's behavior does seem even more erratic than I'd previously noticed. 

And that was an excellent catch about Heph! 

I'm loath to give up on my bloodthirsty radish-hate, but that "placeholder" thing never rang true, and the more people talk about it the more rotten it seems. 

Also, although you didn't dwell on it, the defense he's been most consistently giving IIRC is "everyone was bandwagoning him, why is it a big deal that I jumped on too?"  That's pretty sad -- and frankly I would expect scum-Kantor to come up with something better than that -- but maybe this is just the game where he trips up. 

radish:  you are on notice.  Stop lying.  Stop acting like mafia.  And I'm not even going to promise I won't switch my vote back, since I'm posting this very late and with morning may come new judgment. 

Unvote radish
Vote Kantor

My only major reservation is that with the votes divided something crazy happens at the last minute ... but that would probably give us plenty of suspects by itself. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Linkzmax said:

This is my very last post on the subject. I'm very patient and in a way curious myself as to actual probabilities, but my time would be better spent elsewhere instead of trying to drive the same point across.

Thank you for the thought out post.  Deleted all but the end just to tidy up.  I think what you are prof were trying to say is that under the worst case scenario we only have so many lynches before we loose.  If we don't lynch on day one it's actually one fewer than if we do.

I posted a responce to him about why I think that is flawed but I didn't come to this thought till way late in the post. 

One more lynch then the wrost case scenario isn't one more lynch than any scenario.  There comes a point where one more townie dead can cost the game.  What we need to know is what is the most nunber of townies that can be killed in bad lynches and still let us win.  Now if the scenarios showed that the only way to get the most is if we accidently kill one the fist day and all others show it with one less.  Then it is a free lynch.  I really don't think you'd find that to be the case.  Even taking out crazy scenarios where the doctor makes saves in rates much higher than probable.  Obviouly it would be almost impossible to have the town killing 8 people and then the mafia wins without a kill of it's own, but in many situations it could be more than the 5 that prof came up with when compairing to the wcs.

Sorry to have still posted on the subject but I think I finally understood what was being argued.

I'm fairly certain that Kantor is mafia, upon reading noname's analysis post.

Unvote: Final-Fan

Vote: Kantor

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

Stefl1504 said:

I wasn't really absent, I followed the thread but have decided not to post because everything that has gotten my attention was already mentioned. I haven't voted for anyone so far because I did not want to make a wrong decision early in the game.

Please speak up anyways, as lurkers do us no favors.  Your thoughts may in fact be unique, or they may trigger an observation by a separate player.  And please explain why making a mistake now is any more consequential than making a mistake later in the game.

Stefl1504 said:

Like I already said I don't really see Radish as Mafia, thats how it is. It would be much easier for me to vote for Homer, although right he also is 'just' a distraction I feel more comfortable lynching him.

Final-Fan said:

radishhead is once again demonstrating total lack of remorse for FUCKING LYING and I want to lynch him so bad.  I want to lynch him until he stops lying. 

But on the other hand, Stefl is correct -- I don't have any problem at all with lynching Homer, and he's more likely to be scum than radish IMO; even though, in terms of "how much I want dead", radish probably has the lead. 

But fine. 
Unvote radishhead
Vote Homer_Simpson

How do you two feel about Kantor?  You've seen how much differently he's acting this round than his normal self, and his justifications for that difference don't have any apparent basis in reality, as far as I can tell.

Fake edit:  Nevermind, I see stefl already has changed, albeit with less enthusiasm than I would hope.

I wan't really intending to lurk, and I like to refrain from posting if I am not pointing out something new or am being asked something, because I often have problems formulating something that cannot be misunderstood. I am trying to post more often now since I wasn't aware myself how little I posted in this thread... and I did by no means mean that making a mistake now is worse then later, mistakes can hurt the whole game and should never me made...

About voting for Kantor and not Homer:

I pretty much think both are scum, but I distrust myself regarding Homer because of the FF game we played and I might still be holding a grudge (in fact I AM holding a grundge) because I did believe to the very end that he was protown just because he said protagonist.That is why my vote rests at Kantor for now and since Homer isn't very likely to be lynched today. The two that might get lynched today are Kantor and Radish and to be honest... my lynchprefenrence would look like that:

Homer>>Kantor>>Radish>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GoW>>all the others>>>>>>>myself

Player Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6     Role
Dsister Truck                
Dtewi Kantor                
Final-Fan Kantor                
GodOfWar_3ever Kantor                
Hephaestos Radish                
Homer_Simpson Radish

Kantor Homer                
Linkzmax Radish                
MetalGear_94 Radish

Noname2200 Kantor                
Nordlead Radish                
Radishhead Kantor                
Stefl1504 Kantor

Theprof00 Kantor                
TruckOsaurus Homer                
Vetteman94                  
Wonktonodi Prof                

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

just stopping by after school

Kantor is at L2

Be back in  6-7 hours...

GodOfWar_3ever said:

just stopping by after school

Kantor is at L2

Be back in  6-7 hours...

Actually, he's hammered.

Twilight.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Hammered? My Votals agree with you're table. But 7 votes is 2 short of 9 required, unless you're just ending the day early?

Votals:
[7,L-2] Kantor: (theprof00), theprof00, (Homer_Simpson), noname2200, dtewi, Stefl1504, GodOfWar_3ever, Final-Fan, radishhead
[5,L-4] radishhead: (dtewi), nordlead, Hephaestos, (Final-Fan), (GodOfWar_3ever), (Wonktonodi), (Kantor), (TruckOSaurus), (dtewi), Homer_Simpson, Linkzmax, MetalGear_94, (Final-Fan)
[2,L-7] Homer_Simpson: Kantor, TruckOSaurus, (Final-Fan)
[1,L-8] TruckOSaurus: dsister, (noname2200)
[1,L-8] theprof00: (Kantor), Wonktonodi
[0] Final-Fan: (GodOfWar_3ever), (theprof00), (theprof00), (GodOfWar_3ever), (radishhead)
[0] GodOfWar_3ever: (Final-Fan), (nordlead)
[0] noname2200: (TruckOSaurus)
[0] Heaphaestos: (GodOfWar_3ever)
[0] Vetteman94: (dtewi)
[0] No Lynch: (radishhead)

[1] No Vote: Vetteman94
With 17 alive it takes 9 to lynch.