By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Review of a bunch of early 360 games and a bunch of Xbox games (I'm bored)

All my PS3 controllers are at my cousins house, I haven't got any new 360 games to play and I'm extremely bored. So I went through a Microsoft fest and if anyone's interested, I'm going to give some mini reviews of all those old 360 games I never got to play properly. Take into account that I haven't finished them all, but I played a fair amount of them and I'm still bored, so I'm gonna write stuff.

Mass Effect: I really didn't like Mass Effect when I first played it back in 2008. It just didn't click with me, but I started playing it again and I think I'm now starting to understand all the love. The game looks really good, the voice acting is really good, the squad mechanics in the game are great and the lore of the universe is really interesting. The gun play is better than I remember, it's still not great, but I've played much worse Third Person Shooters. The games negatives include the massive amount of screen tearing, the frame rate got really bad sometimes, I'm kinda struggling with the upgrade system and I really don't like Shephard as a character. The codex is great, probably the best feature in the whole game. Based on my experience so far, I'd give the game a 8.5/10.

Prey: It's extremely underrated. Prey brings in all these really interesting gameplay mechanics like portal systems, a spirit system and just really cool level design. If your into atmospheric, sci-fi/fantasy shooters with some interesting characters and a dark plot, your probably going to like it. The game can look really nice sometimes, kind of like it was made on the Source engine and the character design is great. The shooting is kind of generic, but when it's mixed with the other gameplay systems, you can get a little creative. I bought Prey for $9, it was well worth it. It's an interesting shooter which is a nice break from all the military shooters that have been released this year. It's a solid 8/10.

Kameo: I put down the game a while back because I was stuck on a puzzle and I'm finding similar problems on my new play through. The concept behind the game is really good, your a fairy that can transform into all these different types of creatures and you use the unique abilities of those creatures to defeat certain enemies and get through certain puzzles. I just think it wasn't put together very well, the puzzles fluctuate in difficulty and I usually know what to do, but the games controls aren't good enough to pull off the things I want to do. I can see some people really liking the game, but I'm just not feeling it. It's a 5/10.

Perfect Dark: Zero: It's a good shooter, but that's all it is. The level design isn't interesting, the shooting is pretty average, there aren't any new gameplay elements to give you a change of pace, the storyline is a lot of 'lul wot?' and it seems sort of rushed. I can see it being a pretty good launch title, but it shouldn't have been called Perfect Dark. I did have a decent amount of fun with it though, the AI isn't stupid, the game looks nice and colourful, different enemies pop every now and again and the controls are good. It's a 6.5.10.

Jade Empire: It's fantastic. I've never been a fan of Bioware, but this gem is great. It look's gorgeous for a last gen titles, the gameplay is solid, but you can keep changing it around with new moves all the time. The story is really interesting and the voice acting is good. I just had a really good time with the game. it did fall flat a few times though, the loading can get annoying, the animation is kinda rough and it isn't as open as I'd want it to be. Overall, I had a good time with it and I hope Bioware makes a sequel in the future. 9/10.

The Bards Tale: It's shit, this is the best part of the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdO6xLqc-Yo and it happens within the first 5 minutes. Avoid it and just watch the youtube video. 1/10.

Cold Fear: Really cool game, but the game part is a big let down. It controls like Resident Evil 1, when it should be controlling like Resident Evil 4. It's really atmospheric and it can get really scary sometimes. 3/10.

Silent Hill 4: I have no idea what's going on. ??/10.

Mech Assault: Lone Wolf: Really good mecha game, it gets really hard sometimes though. 7/10.

Prahria: It tries to be Halo and fails. 1/10.

Sudeki: I've got a problem with this game. I really enjoyed it, it looked really nice and colourful. The combat system was enjoyable and easy to get into to and it all just felt like a great action adventure title and yet no one ever talks about it. I never knew about it before now, but I'm surprised a sequel hasn't been made or it it's at least brought up a few times in the forums or something. It just feels under appreciated and the reviews seem to be far too rough on the game. I haven't finished it, so it might bomb later on, but so far I'd give it a solid 8/10.

So those are all the games I've been playing recently, I'm picking up my PS3 controllers tomorrow and I might be going to rent Fable 3, so It'll be a long time before I see any of them again. Out of them all, I'd recommend looking out for Prey, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Sudeki. If you can be bothered, recommend me some old Xbox or 360 games I should pick up. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

Jade Empire and ME are excellent. If you liked both of those games, you should try KOTOR (again?) too.

Pray is a good concept shooter witha  great story but gunplay is really terrible. AI and level design make it very dull to play IMO.

I've only owned 2 shooters on 360 which I did not complete - Prey and PDZ.

disolitude said:

Pray is a good concept shooter witha  great story but gunplay is really terrible. AI and level design make it very dull to play IMO.

I can agree with that. The game does drag sometimes, but my interest in the universe pushed me along. I put greater emphasise on things like atmosphere, storyline and weird shit over gameplay though, so that's why I gave it the score I did, but I can see some people struggling to finish it.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Around the Network
Antabus said:

Jade Empire and ME are excellent. If you liked both of those games, you should try KOTOR (again?) too.

It's so weird, I buy heaps of xbox games because of how cheap they are now at places like EB Games, but I've never found a copy of KOTOR, Beyond Good & Evil or Call of Cthulu. I really want to try KOTOR, but I'm not wiling to pay the extra cash to buy it online ( I pretty much buy all my xbox games for $2 each).

Doobie_wop said:
Antabus said:

It's so weird, I buy heaps of xbox games because of how cheap they are now at places like EB Games, but I've never found a copy of KOTOR, Beyond Good & Evil or Call of Cthulu. I really want to try KOTOR, but I'm not wiling to pay the extra cash to buy it online ( I pretty much buy all my xbox games for $2 each).

KOTOR is not easy to find for cheap. Your best bet would be the steam holiday sale (2,49€ last time, if I remember correctly). But I think KOTOR1/2 might be worth few extra bucks.

Beyond good&evil should be pretty easy to find for few bucks.

It's a shame about The Bards Tale considering how great the original series was.