By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect - Your Choices - SPOILERS!!!

As all you who've been playing the game know, there is a lot of choices. Sometimes your deciding the fate of a whole race, or sometimes you deciding if you want a human girlfriend or an alien one. I'd just like to list some of the choice parts and mention my choice and outcome, and if yours was different post it here.

- Spoilers Below-

Side Note: I'm currently on Ilos so if choices have an impact after that, or choice that are made after that, I've failed to note, and perhaps will add them later this week.

Opening the game:

I choose Earth born, last survivor of that mission gone bad(forgot the name), and that I joined the military to avoid getting into the rough culture that apparently existed at home. Results: These choices seem to come up alot, with making you a spectre, comments from Anderson, conversation with Ashley, Ashley asks you how you dealt with everyone dying on that failed mission, as on Eden Prime she was in a similar situation. Other then conversation, there is a side mission from the gang member outside of chora's den. He bring up you gang status back on earth and wants you to help with a gang member in trouble. I seems to me this affiliation would only seem likely if you were born on earth and if you were trying to get away from the local trouble. Especially since Shepard implies the gang only existed on Earth back when he was involved. If you noticed a different outcome please post.

Citadel

1. The fan, the first time around I blew him off when he a wanted a signature, he disappeared, then later he talked to me again, and excused my rudeness with the fact that I was busy and now wanted a picture of me posing with a gun, I allowed it, but it started feeling like I was being setup for something. It seems from sites I read that he doesn't have much affect on the game yet, but maybe in future installments there will be an effect.

2. Asari consort. I agreed to help and fixed both her problems with the General and the Embassy, I played it like a nice guy and she left me with some sort of interesting trinket that doesn't seem to do anything, at least not yet. Although it seems if your more of a bad boy you end up sleeping with her.

3. Reporter(there is two) I'm just refering to the tough one when you go back to the citdel for a second time after being made a Spectre, I had high charm and used all the charm choices. That helped the scenario go smoothly as it would, I got comments on the interview from the UNC commander back in the Normandy that I handled myself well and I they also mentioned the interview and my positive take in the elevator. I know if you go the rebel route you are allowed to go to the point of punching her,(I'd love to see that)

4. Ship inspection, here the commander inspecting your ship really doesn't like using the Normandy for non-alliance purpose, thinks the ship is a waste of money and hates that we are allowing aliens as part of the crew. Yet using all charm answers he comes around to your side. It seems to have no other affect then minor favorable feedback.

5. Elevator talk, the radio reports on various things that were involved in your mission, and depending on who is in your crew they'll talk to one another, you may want to bring various people to the Citadal just to hear their various elevator conversations, nothing terribly interesting but nifty.

Normandy

1. talking to Wrex unlocks his family armor mission, I've yet to do it, so I don't know it's affects.

2. Talking to your Garrus unlocks a mission to hunt down this evil doctor guy that got away from C-sec when he worked there, you have to show an interest in this story for this to happen, also your conversation with him seems to affect his attitude, he likes the spectre life for the lawless execution of judgement, so by choosing the paragon style of dealing with his mission and other choices he seems to wrestle with his own thoughts and by the end comes around to your way of thinking.(charm here helps.)

3. Kaidan and the Tali'zorah seem to give a little feedback and history on things but nothing terribly noteworthy, I was hoping Tali would unlock an interesting side mission that involved her people, I'm also curious to what she looks like under that mask, I hope they explore that in the next game. Joker gives some tidbits about himself, and it's interesting to hear Seth Green in the game, but otherwise nothing meaningful here.

4. Ashley and Liara are both love interests. But it seems quite interesting in how you play them, for example I first acknowledged there was something between my charachter and Liara, and then talked to Ashley, Ashley responded to me favorably but mentioned talk to there being a connection between my character and Liara, so I replayed the scene and blew Liara off said were just friends and when I talked to Ashley again, she didn't even mention Liara, so they are aware of each other. After which I kept talk with Ashley. Talking to here is interesting, as she is hard headed about alot of things but challenging her on alot of her notions is best as it allows you to have a longer conversation and if your charm is high she tends to come around to your view on alot of things. She'll eventually fill you in on her families back story, and get more intimate, I haven't seen how this story line ends yet, so feel free to fill it in on your posts.

Noveria

1. I refused to give up my guns. Which forced a stand off and a 3-2-1 countdown that is cut short by my Spectre status coming through. Result: A cool stand-off and allowed to keep my guns, which set off alarms and got nasty comments by guards. With that said I imagine keeping the guns would happen anyway being that you need them later, so if someone had a different result please post.

2. I choose to help Parisini with her investigation. Since I had high Charm I convinced Qui'in to testify and handed everything over to Parisini, which led to her boss getting arrested. According to Gamespot it seems though I could bypassed Parisini with the news and went straight to her boss which would have faired badly for her, or there seems to be another outcome where both end up dead(which is what is shown in a gamespot picture in their guide)Post your outcome if it's different. (There doesn't seem to be any other outcome other then Paragon points and XP)

3. I choose to let the Rachni live. Result: You get Paragon points, and Ashley, the Council the Embassoder and Anderson all have something to say about your choice. The Council seems mixed about your choice, the Embassder hates your choice, and Anderson supports you, oh and Ashley seems to support you but definitly disagrees with your choice. Other then conversation I've yet to see other influence from the choice. I actually choose to keep them simply for the right to say an entire species owes me one. A species that has the potential to win wars, so hopefully this pays off by the third Mass Effect installment.

Feros

1. The big one here, is I choose the nonlethal means of dealing with the Colony, it worked, and scored me Paragon points plus I received comments mostly from the Council, the Asari Council member is always more balanced the Turian seems not to like my choices so much and the Turian and Salarian seem to both speculate that my choice to keep the colony alive was risky and only done because they were human. Other then some of the conversation this choice seemed to have no other effects.

2. Thorian Plant thing, in my conversation with it's Asari slave, I tried all the charm answers and reasoning to let the colony go but it seems the inevitable outcome it destroying it.

Viremire

1. Talking to Wrex I used all the charm I had to keep this guy together, keeping him alive meant having him stay on my team(rather then die, by my hand or Ashley's) you get a ton of Paragon points more then anything else in the game and you unlock an acheivement, other than that nothing else changes(although that's plenty)

2. for the Salarian Commander I choose to keep Ashley with me and let him take Kaidan. This lets you use Ashley in your party and you get reports from Kaidan on how his team is doing. Now there is the side mission here so that you can help his team along, that seems to help keep him team alive till you get the the whole drop the nuke part. Personally I completed all the tasks of the sidemission except the turn off the alarm part, i don't know if that makes a difference or not, because once were about to set off the nuke Kaidan needs me, and I find the Salarain commander is already dead. Once I choose to help him half way there Ashley needs me and it's clear who ever I pick not to help dies. I choose Ashley to help and had a big fight scene with Saren by the nuke site(awesome scene btw) and Kaidan dies, Ashley is greatly bothered by this as she believes it should have been her. The Salarians talk to you about the unfortanate event of their commander's death, and otherwise you move on without Kaidan. Now has anyone finished the side mission with helping Kaidan's team? I'm wondering if there is way to beat that mission and keep both alive.(gamespot's guide seems to indicate one dies no matter what. I wonder how this will affect the next game)

3. Also prior to the fight with Saren I mostly tried the charming nice guy answers with him, it seems to affect the conversation a little but not really the outcome.

final citadel trip.

1. Only choice I recall that seems to make a difference is how Anderson goes about unlocking your ship, I told him to decide and he decided to use the Ambassador's computer, and when he did the ambassador was there and he punched him out(fun to watch)

Okay that's all for now, I'll add more when I have more, and please post your different scenarios below!! I know there is alot more to it, I just posted the interesting stuff and what I could remember.

Around the Network

Should really let people figure these out themsleves as that is really half the fun. I personally didn't read the rest of your post as though I beat it once already as an asshole and I am working as a good guy now to see what I may have missed and even then I still wonder on some other choices which I will address on a third play through. Glad your enjoying the game.

I was a pretty decent person on my first playthrough and narrowly missed the Paragon achievement (DAMMIT!).

This time around, I ain't gonna be so nice. 30 minutes into the game and I have already reeled in 20 or so Renegade points.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

elnino334 said:
Should really let people figure these out themsleves as that is really half the fun. I personally didn't read the rest of your post as though I beat it once already as an asshole and I am working as a good guy now to see what I may have missed and even then I still wonder on some other choices which I will address on a third play through. Glad your enjoying the game.

Well only so many people are going to want to play through a 30 hour game 2-3 times to see all the possible scenarios. Secondly the Spoiler alert was to ward off people that don't want to know. and thirdly alot of the time the other choices don't really change the game, I know I'd be annoyed if I played through a few extra hours just to change one choice that ultimatly provides the same result. So personally I'd like to find out what other choices are worth trying.

I did mostly paragon my first time through. I got the paragon achevement early through the space monkey exploit.

I played through almost exactly like you did. the only difference I noted was the solarian commander survived on viremire. Also I got some negative results from mentioning that Saren was resposible for the attack on nova prospect. There was no metionof gangs at coras den I chose spacer and sole survivor

Around the Network

I chose not to blow my saving on a 360 just for this game, and wait for the inevitable PC version.

Words fail to convey the amount of second thoughts I'm having on my decision. =P

All that matters is that I let the stupid council die, and have Capt. Anderson lead a Earth-only council.

Humanity FTW.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
All that matters is that I let the stupid council die, and have Capt. Anderson lead a Earth-only council.

Humanity FTW.

That's a choice? you can really end the game one way with the council intact another with a new council? Man with the amount of alternate ending options, I imagine creating the sequals will get tough to keep track of the various threads. That is if it takes it all into account, but it sounds like Bioware had the intention of letting us port our game save over, which has to be a logistical nightmare.

fooflexible said:
mrstickball said:

Humanity FTW.

That's a choice? you can really end the game one way with the council intact another with a new council? Man with the amount of alternate ending options, I imagine creating the sequals will get tough to keep track of the various threads. That is if it takes it all into account, but it sounds like Bioware had the intention of letting us port our game save over, which has to be a logistical nightmare.

I'm sure BioWare will just base the sequel off the "real" ending (where you save the council). It would be virtually impossible to factor in those kinds of difference into later games. Something like the council completely changes the entire storyline.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
fooflexible said:
mrstickball said:

Humanity FTW.

I'm sure BioWare will just base the sequel off the "real" ending (where you save the council). It would be virtually impossible to factor in those kinds of difference into later games. Something like the council completely changes the entire storyline.

I guess so what's getting transfered? I guess stats, but there is a bunch of choices you make that seem to not have an effect in this game, as if they will grow into bigger stories next game. There are parts where people die, it'll seem odd if you let those people die and suddenly they are there in the next game, escpecially when you have to choose between two people who will live, will they just choose for you in the next game. I just think that's going to tick alot of people off, if they find out their choices are the alternate ones. With that said, that's more then fine for me, I probably picked the main choices in most cases anyway, and it's simply fun to see the other stuff. I'd rather them just work on more varied environments for the sequel, I'd kind of like a more bustling city with billboards and signs everywhere, some radiating with life, too much of Mass Effect is sterile looking.