By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Electronic Arts Plays Catch-Up After Shrugging Off Wii's Appeal (Bloomberg)

Shane said:

Zelda was designed for Cube. Then they tacked the Wii features onto it. This isn't indicative of whether it's better on one or the other, but this is the exact thing third parties have been accused of doing.

True, however, Nintendo did it well. I have played all console zelda games, and I really like the Wii version the best.

Alacrist said: Looks like mancandy and superchunk may be right: Prediction League: Alacrist's Wii Repair! 

yeah baby.

As for the article. Nice. Definately see more of this coming.

Around the Network
Shane said:

Third parties have never done well for Nintendo. Even EA's most optimistic expectations are to finish second, which EA never does.

I still vote silly.

Zelda was designed for Cube. Then they tacked the Wii features onto it. This isn't indicative of whether it's better on one or the other, but this is the exact thing third parties have been accused of doing.

3rd parties never did well on Nintendo?  Then why did they make tons of games on their systems before Sony came into the picture? Nintendo proceeded to mess themselves up more than anything by refusing to adapt to the changing market, I understand that perfectly well, but that's another story.

Btw, if you haven't noticed, this generation Sony is getting the smaller install base AND putting out a significantly higher number of 1st party software titles.  Doesn't that sound a lot like someone else the last 2 generations? Oh, and not to mention that a fair amount of their 3rd party sales are rather disappointing as well.  Let's even mention that companies are starting to delay their ps3 titles or starting to porting them to the 360. 

The Wii has a swelling user base in all 3 regions, versus Microsoft's 1 and a half regions or PS3's 2 poor regional sales with 1 unknown as of yet, which console looks the most promising overall?  Can developers wait for the PS3's install base to increase?  If the can, how long CAN they wait?  Or will they even try to wait?  We've seen a lot of changes in the last few months, and if the Wii keeps selling out in all 3 regions (which it look like it will until June at the earliest), then how will 3rd parties react?  Even withe the PS3's launch in Europe, the Wii is still pulling ahead overall and even catching up to the 360 in North America alone.

Sony's strengths over the previous generations aren't applying here, the PS3 isn't the same kind of hardware that the PSX and PS2 were.  And it's competition is VERY different and much more flexible than the competition of the previous Playstation consoles. 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

superchunk said:

Alacrist said: Looks like mancandy and superchunk may be right: Prediction League: Alacrist's Wii Repair! 

yeah baby.

As for the article. Nice. Definately see more of this coming.

I hope Alacrist gives us a nice prize for our brilliant predictions.

Companies have to jump on the Wii bandwagon. It would be suicide not to. You can't have all your eggs in one basket.  Just like the stock market, you have to diversify or else you run the risk of losing everything if someting goes wrong.

There are a few companies that are still only in the Sony camp. For example, I think that Insomniac is going to learn a hard lesson if they only stick with the PS3. I'm sure PS3 sales will pick up later, however, they still have a business to run. They still need some sort of income until this happens.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Shane said:

Third parties have never done well for Nintendo. Even EA's most optimistic expectations are to finish second, which EA never does.

I still vote silly.

So far they've done all right on the Wii, third party sales are on par with the PS3, Madden on Wii has sold pretty well so far as has Rayman

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

With double the userbase and fewer games, the third party games are still being outsold by their PS3 counterparts. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. There's a finite audience that will do that, and not much that will change it either.

Around the Network

I think the Wii could hold tremendous potential for some of EA's franchises, especially the sports titles. The party like nature of the Wii experience is something sports fans will really enjoy.

Shane said:
With double the userbase and fewer games, the third party games are still being outsold by their PS3 counterparts. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. There's a finite audience that will do that, and not much that will change it either.

Fewer games?  Wii has like twice as many games out as PS3 right now, and they have a couple 3rd-party exclusives that are actually selling decently in addition to the multiple first-party offerings.  3rd-party multiplats are performing about even on each platform and not better on the Wii just because the Wii has better exclusives (1st *and* 3rd party) that it's users are going for instead.

Rose Petals and Lilly Pads, Cake and Ice Cream, Safety with limitless adventure, blue skies and green grass, the cute puppy who grows into a faithful dog.

Sometimes it hurts to go number 2.

vanguardian1 said:

If you understand WHAT kind of game Red Steel is, it's a decent quality game that's quite enjoyable.

It's essentially like a "B-Class Japanese Gangster" movie.  I'd suggest adjusting the controls to your own style, as a PC gamer I preffered the default-on auto-aim to be turned off.  It took me some time to get the hang of it, but I was able to enjoy it immensely. I found the swordplay quite fun, whenever I could I disarmed the opponents rather than hurt them or kill them, I like to be a nice, HONORABLE guy. ;)  Once I had the time-slow skill unlocked, I disarmed a few gun users during shootouts and convinced them to surrender with proper handgun gestures. ;)

Don't get mad at them for not trying with Red Steel, they did put quite a bit of money and advertising into that game.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

vanguardian1 said:
Shane said:

I still vote silly.

3rd parties never did well on Nintendo?  Then why did they make tons of games on their systems before Sony came into the picture? Nintendo proceeded to mess themselves up more than anything by refusing to adapt to the changing market, I understand that perfectly well, but that's another story.

Btw, if you haven't noticed, this generation Sony is getting the smaller install base AND putting out a significantly higher number of 1st party software titles.  Doesn't that sound a lot like someone else the last 2 generations? Oh, and not to mention that a fair amount of their 3rd party sales are rather disappointing as well.  Let's even mention that companies are starting to delay their ps3 titles or starting to porting them to the 360. 

The Wii has a swelling user base in all 3 regions, versus Microsoft's 1 and a half regions or PS3's 2 poor regional sales with 1 unknown as of yet, which console looks the most promising overall?  Can developers wait for the PS3's install base to increase?  If the can, how long CAN they wait?  Or will they even try to wait?  We've seen a lot of changes in the last few months, and if the Wii keeps selling out in all 3 regions (which it look like it will until June at the earliest), then how will 3rd parties react?  Even withe the PS3's launch in Europe, the Wii is still pulling ahead overall and even catching up to the 360 in North America alone.

Sony's strengths over the previous generations aren't applying here, the PS3 isn't the same kind of hardware that the PSX and PS2 were.  And it's competition is VERY different and much more flexible than the competition of the previous Playstation consoles. 

Just because a console fares better early and another seems to be stagnant, doesn't mean that it will stay that way.

There were over 200 million consoles sold in the last generation (with the PS2 still pushing that number up slightly), and not even a whole 1/10 of the new consoles have been sold. I highly, highly doubt that people are abandoning consoles, but rather are still waiting it out. People could be waiting for killer apps (MGS 4, Halo 3, SSBB), people could be waiting for a price drop (highly doubt that people don't like the price of the Wii), and the last one really concerns only the 360 and PS3, how many people are just waiting it out to see what game no longer stays an exclusive? There were many people who were willing to purchase the PS3 because of its big 3: Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Final Fantasy XIII. With DMC4 headed for the 360 as well, I don't think it's wrong to believe that people just want to see what actually stays exclusive.

It seems the Wii has won the battle, but the war is far from over.