By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Massive upgrade for my PC!!!! Basically brand new system.

ssj12 said:

So I'm upgrading my PC finally to a Core i7 system.

I will have an Core i7 950, EVGA 3x SLi mobo, 8GBs ram, Corsair H70 CPU cooler, NZXT Phantom case with all fans (minus rear fan of course for the CPU cooler). And I am getting a wonderful new monitor on top of it all (Acer's Nvidia 3D approved 23.6")

This upgrade is costing me $1.4k, but my dad is paying for the entire thing =D. It will be a massive improvement over  my current AMD setup which is hit a brick wall for upgrading (with monitor it would still have cost me $1.1k to upgrade to a SLi AM3 setup).

Current setup btw, AMD 7750be OCed to 3GHz, EVGA GTX480 (15% OC), 6GB DDR2 1066, Gigabyte mobo,  10k RPM WD HDD, BR drive (useless due to current monitor), DVD burner, NZXT Tempest case, Zalman CPU cooler.

So yes, massive upgrade, and Ill be able to use my BR drive finally...

Why would you upgrade your computer when your old one can play any game at max settings, and probably will continue to be able to for the next year, at least?

I mean, I know its your dads money but why don't you ask him for some diamond bling or something...

Around the Network
im_sneaky said:
ssj12 said:

I will have an Core i7 950, EVGA 3x SLi mobo, 8GBs ram, Corsair H70 CPU cooler, NZXT Phantom case with all fans (minus rear fan of course for the CPU cooler). And I am getting a wonderful new monitor on top of it all (Acer's Nvidia 3D approved 23.6")

This upgrade is costing me $1.4k, but my dad is paying for the entire thing =D. It will be a massive improvement over  my current AMD setup which is hit a brick wall for upgrading (with monitor it would still have cost me $1.1k to upgrade to a SLi AM3 setup).

Current setup btw, AMD 7750be OCed to 3GHz, EVGA GTX480 (15% OC), 6GB DDR2 1066, Gigabyte mobo,  10k RPM WD HDD, BR drive (useless due to current monitor), DVD burner, NZXT Tempest case, Zalman CPU cooler.

Why would you upgrade your computer when your old one can play any game at max settings, and probably will continue to be able to for the next year, at least?

I mean, I know its your dads money but why don't you ask him for some diamond bling or something...

Actually I was maxing that CPU out easily. And Crysis 2.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

im_sneaky said:
ssj12 said:

Actually I was maxing that CPU out easily. And Crysis 2.

My bad, I thought that was a quad-core processor. Eitherway, It's odd to find someone upgrading from a 480.

im not upgrading from my 480... its in my PC.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Why would you use dual channel ram with an i7? Thats just dumb.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:

Why would you use dual channel ram with an i7? Thats just dumb.

cheaper, but they will work fine, even if I ever need to get 24GBs of ram, which I wont.